Kirk Broadfoot signs new 3 year contract - official

Boab

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His wages should have been put towards Boyd's contract

It was Boyd's decision to leave after his deal expires!

It sure was but a little extra cash may have persuaded him to stay with us.. even if he never got the cash a better quality of player could have got it. Every penny helps in our situation, wasting it on him does not help.

Boyd wasn't worth anymore extra money, he was already offered more than enough!

Kirk gets a really raw deal from a lot of supporters, a far better defender than Whittaker will ever be.

Both poor defenders, although Whittaker improved towards the last two-three months of the season (defensively) - overall, Whittaker offers more.

In an ideal situation, neither would be in the Rangers squad, unfortunatley it's not that way.

Normally does alright when he plays, good back up in the SPL but not the answer in Europe, but then again who in our current squad is good enough for Europe?

You could have asked the same question in 2008. We made it to a European final that year as I recall.

It sure was but a little extra cash may have persuaded him to stay with us.. even if he never got the cash a better quality of player could have got it. Every penny helps in our situation, wasting it on him does not help.

We will never know what Boyd was really offered or what he really wanted but ive already said other players could have got that ££.

Den's usually spot on with what he's heard, and if Kirk's on a basic wage of £5k a week then I'm more than happy to keep on him.

I wouldn't have been overly chuffed if we'd offered him £10k mind :pipe:

Delightted he is staying he will be worth every penny we will pay him in wages and I look forward to seeing lots of him next season. Those who dont rate him know fuck all about football. For me he could be a captain of the future.

We will never know what Boyd was really offered or what he really wanted but ive already said other players could have got that ££.

Kris Boyd wanted to leave - if he was as big a Rangers man as he said, he would have signed a new deal.

Delightted he is staying he will be worth every penny we will pay him in wages and I look forward to seeing lots of him next season. An under-rated player only by those who know fuck all about football.

Aye ok then :rolleyes:

Delightted he is staying he will be worth every penny we will pay him in wages and I look forward to seeing lots of him next season. An under-rated player only by those who know fuck all about football.

Realise what I said before there came out wrong, have duly amended the post ;)

Realise what I said before there came out wrong, have duly amended the post ;)

Aye, ok.

By ROBERT GRIEVE

Published: Today

Kirk Broadfoo clinched a new three-year deal at Rangers - after knocking back a move to the Premiership.

Broadfoot ended months of uncertainty over his future yesterday after a final round of contract talks at Murray Park.

The defender looked to be on his way out of Ibrox after turning down the SPL champions' first offer.

Blackpool were keen on versatile Broadfoot, 25, and he held talks with the Premiership new boys last week.

Relegated Portsmouth were also interested, but Broadfoot couldn't bear the thought of quitting Gers - and snapped up their increased offer.

He said: "I'm absolutely delighted to finally get everything sorted out.

"I took my time to think over my future - and even visited other clubs to have a look.

"But I knew deep down I couldn't leave Rangers.

"I'm a Rangers fan and when you are training at Murray Park every day, and playing at Ibrox, it's a lot to give up.

"When the club came up with the deal I was looking for I knew I wasn't going anywhere.

"The thought of playing in the Premiership with Blackpool was appealing, I'm not going to lie.

"It was a big pull. But I just didn't think it was the right club for me.

"Rangers is the place for me. When Walter Smith announced he was staying on as gaffer it made me even more eager to sign a new deal.

"I didn't want to be one of those players who leaves Rangers and then a year down the line says it was the biggest mistake of his life.

"I grew up a Rangers fan and my whole family support the club, it's very hard to leave.

"Don't get me wrong, the deal had to be right from my point of view. That's why it took time.

"But once that was sorted out there was no other option.

"It's a great place to play your football and it's also a great dressing room to be part of.

"The manager and coaching staff make it so enjoyable every day and that means a lot.

"Add to that the fact we're playing Champions League football again and it's just too much to give up."

Broadfoot missed a large part of last season with a broken foot and hopes his new deal finally brings an end to his injury hell.

His decision to stay is a big boost for Ibrox gaffer Walter Smith who is set to lose stoppers Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson.

Broadfoot added: "I just want to put last season behind me.

"I had a nightmare with injuries, but feel this could signal a fresh start for me.

"Thankfully I've not had any reaction to the surgery I had and can't wait for pre-season training to start.

"I want to get as fit as I possibly can and get a run of games under my belt.

"I believe I am capable of playing every week for Rangers if I'm fully fit, so hopefully I can get back to that."

Broadfoot has formed a tight bond with Gers assistant manager Ally McCoist and admits that played a massive part in his decision to stay.

He said: "Coisty was a major factor in me signing for Rangers from St Mirren in the first place.

"I'm delighted he's going to be the next manager.

"The way he trains every day, he's a born winner, and I think it's a great decision by the club.

"We still have one more season under the gaffer, though.

"So he's still the man we have to impress."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3023656/Prem-was-tempting-but-I-had-to-say-no.html#ixzz0rX4lj5ik

Can anyone confirm how much he is on? Or are we just guessing?

I really hope the £10k a week figure isn't correct.

informed by an ex friend of his he WAS on 4k a week

If he plays at right back he isn't too bad but at centre back he is a total liability. One thing I will say about Broadfoot is that everyone had his attitude and worked as hard to improve his all round game as he does Rangers would be in a much stronger position.

If a player with limited ability gives you 100% then I can accept that. What I can't be doing with is players with talent not putting the effort in.

tbh i think Kirk gets a raw deal as all people can see is a player from St Mirren who isnt good enough for Rangers , i think he will do a decent job at centre half the only worrying thing for me is his lack of pace ,he is good in the air and good in the tackle ( don't remember too many complaints when he had mcgayday in his back pocket every OF ) .

tbh i think Kirk gets a raw deal as all people can see is a player from St Mirren who isnt good enough for Rangers , i think he will do a decent job at centre half the only worrying thing for me is his lack of pace ,he is good in the air and good in the tackle ( don't remember too many complaints when he had mcgayday in his back pocket every OF ) .

Ah, one of the biggest myths around the current Rangers squad.

I've seen him have the better of McGeady once in the 4-2 game, but wee melted-face has torn him nearly every other game.

Ah, one of the biggest myths around the current Rangers squad.

I've seen him have the better of McGeady once in the 4-2 game, but wee melted-face has torn him nearly every other game.

i can recall 3 :D