Kirk Broadfoot signs new 3 year contract - official

Boab

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will be decent enough cover

Cover shouldn't be getting 'bumper' pay deals in our position.

Do you not agree that due to his contribution since he joined he is due a decent wage?

Come on Colin, you can't use 'decent' on a fishing trip!

How about 'substantial' 'or 'significantly increased'?

back up but nowhere near first team regular. Considering we have lost smith and probably will lose boogy and wilson we need our other defensive players to stay. Broadfoot was on peanuts. I think he deserves a pay rise, just not the sort i would class as a "bumper" contract

will be decent enough cover

Cover shouldn't be getting 'bumper' pay deals in our position.

Do you not agree that due to his contribution since he joined he is due a decent wage?

Come on Colin, you can't use 'decent' on a fishing trip!

How about 'substantial' 'or 'significantly increased'?

Well come on he wasnt earning much before was he? What was it about £3k per week, not much at is it really?

It really depends on what is classed as a "bumper" pay rise, if it was an increase to say £15,000 per week then that would be excessive, but if it was to about £10,000 a week to play for the club he loves then I don't see anything wrong with that.

Let's be sensible, he might not be a Maldini, but the amount of abuse he gets at times is totally out of order, this is a bloke who is supposedly attracting Blackpool and Portsmouth, and yes they might not exactly be the biggest teams in the world but financially (Blackpool anyway) they would be able to afford to give Broadfoot a lot more than what we can.

This is also a bloke who played a lot in the UEFA cup run with what was possibly a pretty weak team, this is also a bloke who got criticised by the Scotland manager at the time but still got played and he scores on his debut.

If I remember correctly Broadfoot started last season in the RB position, after returning from an injury and played pretty well, until his health and fitness dipped and then Whittaker was brought back in. Was Broadfoot possibly brought back in too soon?

It might be, as someone else has said, that Davis will finally be played in his better position of CM and Whittaker could be played on the RW, two very good attacking threats, Whittaker might not be an out and out winger but he sure as hell can take players on which he did show last season.

I'm not saying that Broadfoot is the answer to all our problems, but as has already been pointed out the limited finances that we do have can be used (hopefully wisely) to strengthen other areas on the park rather than loose money paying for defensive cover.

Good stuff getting him to re-sign. Not the classiest of defenders and has had his fair share of dud games but if he can reproduce the qualities he showed against McNeady in that old firm game when he had him in his back pocket we'll be doing a'right.

Kirk Broadfoot isn't worth £10k a week, he doesn't deserve that sort of money, and in our position, we should not be offering him that sort of money.

£10k a week for a back-up player who is limited, and has struggled for 12 months with injury - no wonder we are in the shit.

He should only be played if the squad is injury ravished.

Defender Kirk Broadfoot agrees new three year deal with Rangers, tying him to the club until 2013. See club website for full details from 6pm tonight.

Official Text

Fixed the thread title from said to be signing.

Right well i for one will not believe the 10k p/w guff. He will be lucky to be on that with all bonuses included.

Him resigning is good in a way as it shows that we can offer contracts that make players reject offers elsewhere. Hopefully get good quality players in.

Good thing IMO, we dont have a big sqaud and IMO We should try and keep the most players we can just now and they Know what it takes to win a championship, and then add to that.

Another three years of Broadfoot :anguish:

Hopefully he doesn't feature that often between now and the end of his contract. I've got a feeling he will be a regular, with Whittaker moving into midfield.

Broadfoot on his day is not a bad player. Rangers class? No. But a good squad player that offers us plenty of cover.

The good news in this is that we have actually signed someone!

KIRK BROADFOOT admits he always wanted to stay with Rangers after signing a new three-year deal with the club.

The defender had options to move on elsewhere this summer, with both Blackpool and Portsmouth touted as potential destinations.

Kirk BroadfootWhile the 25-year-old took time to meet with other clubs in the final six months of his old contract, his preference was to remain at Ibrox.

And having finally put pen to paper on an agreement which keeps him in Glasgow until 2013, he is thrilled at not having to leave the club he was raised supporting.

Broadfoot said: "I'm delighted to stay. To play with a club like Rangers for another three years is great as they're the team I supported as a boy.

"Everyone knows that and it's great to be part of the squad for the forthcoming season, when we'll look to retain our SPL title.

"I said from day one that I wanted to stay here if we could do a deal and while I did go and meet other people, my heart was always here.

"I just had to make sure the agreement we made was the right one for myself and my family and I'm really happy with the final outcome.

"I won't lie. I thought there was a point when I was going to leave but it was so hard to get my head around moving on.

"The lure of Champions League football and everything else that comes with being here made it so hard to look elsewhere and I'm glad we have got everything sorted."

Kirk BroadfootNews that Broadfoot will be part of the squad next season comes as a massive boost to manager Walter Smith, who himself only recently signed new terms.

Indeed, the stopper says securing the legendary boss - who has won 19 major honours with the Light Blues - played a part in his own decision to stay.

"It was a huge factor," Broadfoot added. "I got offered a contract a few months ago when Walter's own future hadn't been resolved and I said no straight away.

"The fact I didn't know who the manager was going to be made it hard to stay but now we know it will be the gaffer, that's huge for everyone at the club.

"He commands so much respect and I've enjoyed working with him over the last three years.

"With Ally McCoist going on to be the gaffer too next summer, it was really attractive for me to stay and work under them both."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100621/kirk-pens-three-year-deal_2254024_2075676