Rangers bid for Croatian forward Jelavic

Rangers will make a second attempt to land Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic from Rapid Vienna.

The Austrian club revealed an initial offer from the Ibrox outfit for the 24-year-old wasn’t good enough to tempt them into business.

But negotiations are on-going as Rangers try to persuade Rapid to cash in on a player who has only a year left on his contract.

Jelavic – also being tracked by Blackburn Rovers – first came to the attention of boss Walter Smith when he scored three times against Celtic in last season’s Europa League matches.

Rapid Vienna sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl confirmed a bid had been made but admitted it fell short of his own club’s valuation, saying: “It was not practical.

“He is certainly not desperate to leave us and we will not push him out the door. It would take a serious bid for us to even consider allowing him to leave.”

The 6ft 2in hitman scored 18 times in 33 league matches for Rapid last season and bagged nine goals in just 12 European ties, including his strike at Parkhead in the 1-1 draw and two in the return 3-3 stalemate in Austria.

And he has continued this season where he left off with two goals against Suduva of Lithuania in Vienna’s 6-2 aggregate Europa League qualifying victory.

There have been suggestions his involvement in the Europa League would definitely rule him out of Rangers’ Champions League group stage campaign.

But that would only be the case if Rapid made it into the group phase of the Europa League – and they still have to get through two rounds of qualifiers, starting this week against Beroe from Bulgaria.

Meantime, Rangers are also chasing two of South Africa’s World Cup stars.

The Ibrox side have begun talks for central defender Bongani Khumalo and striker Katlego Mphela, and are ready to fend off interest from the Premiership and move for the pair who will cost around £2.5m combined.

Boss Smith confirmed today from their pre-season base in Sydney: “They are the right type and I think they could enhance our squad.

“We are seriously considering both these players. I believe they could fit in well for us. Contact has been made, but we’ll need to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks.”

Spurs have invited Khumalo over for a trial, while Mphela has been linked with former Gers boss Alex McLeish’s Birmingham City.

But Rangers hope to get in first after both players were recommended by No.2 Ally McCoist, who was in South Africa for the World Cup working for ESPN.

Tough 23-year-old stopper Khumalo, who plays for SuperSport United and is being touted as the next captain of his national side, played in all three of their World Cup matches and scored the first goal in their 2-1 win against France.

Khumalo said: “I know about Tottenham and it would be a dream to play in the Premiership. But I also think playing in the Champions League would be special.”

Smith has been attracted by the fact Mphela has a physical presence and is capable of holding the ball as he seeks for striking re-inforcements after the departure of Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo.

Mphela said: “I don’t want to play in the South African League any longer. I feel I am ready for a move to a bigger league now.”

Meantime, St Etienne defender Yohan Benalouane has been linked with Newcastle.

Rangers had confirmed their interest in the Frenchman this weekend but St Etienne sporting director Damien Comolli has revealed there are other offers.

“We were told last week there was an interest from Rangers,” he said. “As yet, we have had no direct contact with them.

“We have already opened talks with a club in the English Premier League but there has been no offer accepted.”

Told ya soooo.

:craphead:

Whenever I hear that name I think of this :praise:

Yeh :drool: If he can do that against Casillas Im sure he'll score a few in the SPL.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RANGERS are ready to return with an improved offer for Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic.

The Ibrox club have had a £1.5million bid for the Croatian hitman rejected.

But SunSport understands negotiations are ongoing, with Gers chief executive Martin Bain hoping to persuade the Austrian club to cash in on Jelavic, who has one year left on his contract.

Vienna sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl said: "Nikica is an incredible striker. He has become a real asset to us. Whoever wants him will have to put down quite a sum."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3071750/Rangers-plan-a-n-improved-offer-for-Rapid-Vienna-striker-Nikica-Jelavic.html#ixzz0uvZ19D00

hmmmmmm interesting cant see us signing both jelavic and mphella

Rangers will make a second attempt to land Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic from Rapid Vienna.

The Austrian club revealed an initial offer from the Ibrox outfit for the 24-year-old wasn’t good enough to tempt them into business.

But negotiations are on-going as Rangers try to persuade Rapid to cash in on a player who has only a year left on his contract.

Jelavic – also being tracked by Blackburn Rovers – first came to the attention of boss Walter Smith when he scored three times against Celtic in last season’s Europa League matches.

Rapid Vienna sporting director Alfred Hoertnagl confirmed a bid had been made but admitted it fell short of his own club’s valuation, saying: “It was not practical.

“He is certainly not desperate to leave us and we will not push him out the door. It would take a serious bid for us to even consider allowing him to leave.”

The 6ft 2in hitman scored 18 times in 33 league matches for Rapid last season and bagged nine goals in just 12 European ties, including his strike at Parkhead in the 1-1 draw and two in the return 3-3 stalemate in Austria.

And he has continued this season where he left off with two goals against Suduva of Lithuania in Vienna’s 6-2 aggregate Europa League qualifying victory.

There have been suggestions his involvement in the Europa League would definitely rule him out of Rangers’ Champions League group stage campaign.

But that would only be the case if Rapid made it into the group phase of the Europa League – and they still have to get through two rounds of qualifiers, starting this week against Beroe from Bulgaria.

Meantime, Rangers are also chasing two of South Africa’s World Cup stars.

The Ibrox side have begun talks for central defender Bongani Khumalo and striker Katlego Mphela, and are ready to fend off interest from the Premiership and move for the pair who will cost around £2.5m combined.

Boss Smith confirmed today from their pre-season base in Sydney: “They are the right type and I think they could enhance our squad.

“We are seriously considering both these players. I believe they could fit in well for us. Contact has been made, but we’ll need to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks.”

Spurs have invited Khumalo over for a trial, while Mphela has been linked with former Gers boss Alex McLeish’s Birmingham City.

But Rangers hope to get in first after both players were recommended by No.2 Ally McCoist, who was in South Africa for the World Cup working for ESPN.

Tough 23-year-old stopper Khumalo, who plays for SuperSport United and is being touted as the next captain of his national side, played in all three of their World Cup matches and scored the first goal in their 2-1 win against France.

Khumalo said: “I know about Tottenham and it would be a dream to play in the Premiership. But I also think playing in the Champions League would be special.”

Smith has been attracted by the fact Mphela has a physical presence and is capable of holding the ball as he seeks for striking re-inforcements after the departure of Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo.

Mphela said: “I don’t want to play in the South African League any longer. I feel I am ready for a move to a bigger league now.”

Meantime, St Etienne defender Yohan Benalouane has been linked with Newcastle.

Rangers had confirmed their interest in the Frenchman this weekend but St Etienne sporting director Damien Comolli has revealed there are other offers.

“We were told last week there was an interest from Rangers,” he said. “As yet, we have had no direct contact with them.

“We have already opened talks with a club in the English Premier League but there has been no offer accepted.”

Told ya soooo.

:craphead:

Whenever I hear that name I think of this :praise:

Not too keen on the blessing tbh. He will have to drop that shite if he wants to play for the might RANGERS

Rangers will have to substantially increase their offer for Nikica Jelavic if they hope to sign the Croatian striker.

The Ibrox club have made an initial offer, but Rapid Vienna rejected the bid and are thought to value the player at £3.5m.

The 24-year-old only has 12 months left on his contract, but Rapid are adamant that the player will only be sold on their terms. A bid by Celtic last January, said to be in the region of £3m by sources in Austria, was turned down.

Jelavic is also a target for Blackburn, although they cannot make any transfer bids while takeover talks continue with a consortium of Indian businessmen. Having seen their initial approach rebuffed, Rangers are continuing discussions with Rapid.

“It was not practical,” said Rapid’s sporting director, Alfred Hoertnagl, of the Ibrox club’s offer. “He is not desperate to leave us and we will not push him out the door. It would take a serious bid for us to even consider allowing him to leave.”

Another Rangers target, Yohan Benalouane, is prepared to consider a move to Scotland, even although he is already in talks with a Barclays Premier League side. His suitors are thought to be Newcastle, but Sol Campbell underwent a medical yesterday and is expected to move to St James’s Park.

“I’ve spoken to David Murray in the past few days to try and establish whether Rangers have a concrete interest in Yohan,” said the player’s agent, Philippe Flavier. “But I will say Yohan is very open to the idea of moving to Scotland or England. He’s young and ambitious and wants to better his career.

“He can move this summer for money or leave next year for nothing. The market is very quiet in Scotland and England and it means we have to be patient. If we have to wait, we will.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/rangers-jelavic-bid-fails-to-impress-1.1044142

Rangers will have to substantially increase their offer for Nikica Jelavic if they hope to sign the Croatian striker.

The Ibrox club have made an initial offer, but Rapid Vienna rejected the bid and are thought to value the player at £3.5m.

The 24-year-old only has 12 months left on his contract, but Rapid are adamant that the player will only be sold on their terms. A bid by Celtic last January, said to be in the region of £3m by sources in Austria, was turned down.

Jelavic is also a target for Blackburn, although they cannot make any transfer bids while takeover talks continue with a consortium of Indian businessmen. Having seen their initial approach rebuffed, Rangers are continuing discussions with Rapid.

“It was not practical,” said Rapid’s sporting director, Alfred Hoertnagl, of the Ibrox club’s offer. “He is not desperate to leave us and we will not push him out the door. It would take a serious bid for us to even consider allowing him to leave.”

Another Rangers target, Yohan Benalouane, is prepared to consider a move to Scotland, even although he is already in talks with a Barclays Premier League side. His suitors are thought to be Newcastle, but Sol Campbell underwent a medical yesterday and is expected to move to St James’s Park.

“I’ve spoken to David Murray in the past few days to try and establish whether Rangers have a concrete interest in Yohan,” said the player’s agent, Philippe Flavier. “But I will say Yohan is very open to the idea of moving to Scotland or England. He’s young and ambitious and wants to better his career.

“He can move this summer for money or leave next year for nothing. The market is very quiet in Scotland and England and it means we have to be patient. If we have to wait, we will.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/rangers-jelavic-bid-fails-to-impress-1.1044142

Both players are young,ambitious,proven track-record & would generate a profitable return in the transfer market(if successful).

Exactly the types we should be targeting.

Would be delighted to see either one at Ibrox next season.

Also, isn't it a little strange Benalouane's agent is speaking to Murray instead of Bain?

this is a very good point

Not really. They could have a long standing relationship. Watch it guys this conspiracy stuff is contagious :wink:

Also, isn't it a little strange Benalouane's agent is speaking to Murray instead of Bain?

Does Murray not spend a lot of time in the South of France and so would be easy to get in contact with and convey the clubs offer? Or is that too obvious?

Does Murray not spend a lot of time in the South of France and so would be easy to get in contact with and convey the clubs offer? Or is that too obvious?

Shhh don't mate, if you dont join in with the scaremongoring then there is no point in posting

imagine if you could freeze time, the players you could sell and buy just by freezing time at the exact moment the pen hits the paper.......you change the terms and players wages. :wink:

anyways i hope we can get all 3 of them but the coation looks to be a doubt.

imagine if you could freeze time, the players you could sell and buy just by freezing time at the exact moment the pen hits the paper.......you change the terms and players wages. :wink:

anyways i hope we can get all 3 of them but the coation looks to be a doubt.

n256756.jpg

Martin Bain should be looking to first and foremost convince Jelavic on a switch to Rangers and then start negotiations with Rapid. The player could force through a move if he has his heart set on a move to us, it'd put Rapid in an awkward position because we could be sign him on a pre-contract agreement come January.

That is called tapping up. You need permission to talk to the player, I.e. A fee needs agreed first.

With our situation i couldn't give a shit, we haven't signed no cunt for over 2 years. And therefore according to Martin Bain's quotes, we're tapping up Khumalo & Mphela because no fee has been agreed with their clubs nor has any contact been made with their clubs yet he's opened talks with both players' agents?? hmmmmm...

We should get in contact with Jelavic's agent, convince him on a move to us and then that'd put Rapid in a situation where they'd be better to cash in on the player now and perhaps knock his transfer fee down a bit because we simply cannot afford to pay what they've valued him at (£3.5m). I don't think we'll pay a dime over £2m...

That is called tapping up. You need permission to talk to the player, I.e. A fee needs agreed first.

With our situation i couldn't give a shit, we haven't signed no cunt for over 2 years. And therefore according to Martin Bain's quotes, we're tapping up Khumalo & Mphela because no fee has been agreed with their clubs nor has any contact been made with their clubs yet he's opened talks with both players' agents?? hmmmmm...

Yeah, and when we get a hefty fine for tapping up and can't sign anyone at all, will you still not give a shit?

Yeah, and when we get a hefty fine for tapping up and can't sign anyone at all, will you still not give a shit?

If that's the case then we're tapping (and should recieve a "transfer ban") up Mphela & Khumalo because we haven't contacted their clubs nor agreed any fee whatsoever. What i'm saying is, the angle we're trying to play with them should be the angle at trying to get Jelavic.