Jelavic has arrived at Murray Park

Mansion

The deal isn't dead, and nowhere does Bain say that, the ball is firmly with the player and Rapid, the deal is still on the table.

It is up to them now whither they accept or not, we have gone as far as we are willing to, if no EPL club comes in for Jelavic or any better offer, we would appear to be his insurance policy, but whatever the evening tims says, the offer has not been withdrawn.

is it officially dead?

did you not say in an earlier post that you dont believe anything thats written in the rhags (tu)

my dad told me last night, his contact, not mine

someone else told me it was in a rhag too on here actually

(tu)

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/martin-bain-no-nikica-jelavic-deal-1.1048143

Martin Bain: No Nikica Jelavic deal

* Nikica Jelavic

Bert Mitchell

Share 0 comments

13 Aug 2010

Rangers have ended their pursuit of Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic and are now anxious to fix-up James Beattie and Tommy Smith.

After two weeks of negotiations with the Austrians and the Croatian striker, the SPL champions have walked away. The 24-year-old has been quoted as saying a switch to Scotland may still happen in the next few days, but any movement will now have to come from his camp.

Rangers offered around £4m and £15,000-per-week wages. Rapid accepted the deal, but Jelavic wants a pay-off from his club, so the move has stalled.

Chief executive Martin Bain said: “We have withdrawn from negotiations with Nikica Jelavic.”

Stoke striker Beattie held talks with Walter Smith and Bain last night having arrived in Glasgow for a look around, but returned south with no deal done.

A fee of around £1.3m has been agreed, but Beattie is on £35,000-per-week and Stoke may have to offer him a sweetener to leave.

Blackburn are believed to be trying to hijack Gers’ move. Beattie’s agent Mike Morris said: “Negotiations will continue today.”

Meantime, despite matching the £1.5m fee quoted by Portsmouth for Smith, Rangers have still to hear back from the club.

That's as good as dead for me.

and the rangers.co.uk website? its not on there - ssn dont have this, only the ET. bottom line is, if bain actually said this, he would also have said this to the official website. He has not, and thus the deal is not dead.

Did you c our kids againist glentoran , the other nite ? Apart from the arsenal Lad maybe 2 more , signs don't look good !

There was a couple of big differences in that game though, Irish league had already started I believe, so Glentoran's team will already be sharper, and apart from Velicka it was a team of youngsters, no real experienced players in there at all, it was almost an under 19 team for us.

and the rangers.co.uk website? its not on there - ssn dont have this, only the ET. bottom line is, if bain actually said this, he would also have said this to the official website. He has not, and thus the deal is not dead.

Agreed (tu)

Why?

People seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about this. All this says is that Rangers have stopped talks. The reason for this will be that Rangers are not in a position to influence the problems that are stalling the transfer. Once whatever is stalling(likely to be the compensation Jelavic feels he is owed) is resolved, then Rapid (who have agreed to Rangers' price) and Jelavic (who has agreed to Rangers'contract offer) will be in touch to conclude the deal, should they still wish to proceed. Rangers have done everything they can.

Considering that the rest of the article is shite, Beattie has signed, then I take it with a pinch of salt, all we are doing is saying "take it or leave it"

Why?

People seem to be getting their knickers in a twist about this. All this says is that Rangers have stopped talks. The reason for this will be that Rangers are not in a position to influence the problems that are stalling the transfer. Once whatever is stalling(likely to be the compensation Jelavic feels he is owed) is resolved, then Rapid (who have agreed to Rangers' price) and Jelavic (who has agreed to Rangers'contract offer) will be in touch to conclude the deal, should they still wish to proceed. Rangers have done everything they can.

I think 'withdrawn from negotiations' sounds a little bit more final than what you suggest.

Also, how do you know that both the fee and contract have been agreed?

Because not every deal/ scenario is the same. If they were life would be very dull indeed :happy:

Yeah but when Bain is responsible himself he seems to take an age getting anything done be that walking away from the deal or geting it wrapped up. I reckon if Walter was the one in Austria he would have told Rapid to take a hike.

or maybe he doesn't bother about the media,and just let's them get on with it.

or maybe he's to busy :wink:

no, im 100% positive if they misquoted him he would make it public they were wrong and take legal action

especially when its something as big as a 4m transfer

:wink:

I think 'withdrawn from negotiations' sounds a little bit more final than what you suggest.

Also, how do you know that both the fee and contract have been agreed?

How so? What is your interpretation of the statement? Simply, Rangers have stopped negotiating, cos there's nothing left to negotiate. The stumbling block appears to be with Rapid and Jelavic.

If the statement had said that Rangers had "withdrawn their offer", then I'd agree that would seem pretty final, but that's not the case.

Regarding the fee and contract, I obviously don't know for certain that they've been agreed. I'm only going from the consensus of reports that suggest that the problem is with what Jelavic feels he is owed by his current Club.

How so? What is your interpretation of the statement? Simply, Rangers have stopped negotiating, cos there's nothing left to negotiate. The stumbling block appears to be with Rapid and Jelavic.

If the statement had said that Rangers had "withdrawn their offer", then I'd agree that would seem pretty final, but that's not the case.

Regarding the fee and contract, I obviously don't know for certain that they've been agreed. I'm only going from the consensus of reports that suggest that the problem is with what Jelavic feels he is owed by his current Club.

(tu)

no, im 100% positive if they misquoted him he would make it public they were wrong and take legal action

especially when its something as big as a 4m transfer

maybe he's got a team of lawyers on the case already

100% doubt it thought

My interpretation is 'cancelled the deal'. What you say is definitely possible, but I reckon he would have actually said that were it true - 'the ball is in Jelavic's court' or something along those lines.

I'm not sure about those reports to be honest. I think alot of it is journalists making educated guesses as to why the deal has drawn on for so long. Regarding the agreed fee and contract, they had to write something in their daily updates on Monday and Tuesday. Expecting a deal to be concluded later in the week, they took a punt.