I can't be the only one who's glad he's gone..

Creampuff

I mean, don't get me wrong, he scored a lot of goals for us, and quite a few important ones - but will we actually miss Kris Boyd? I'm actually cringing at the prospect of fans fearing we won't sign another striker in his mould. We don't need another striker in his mould.

Boyd scored 25/30 goals a season, but lets be honest, he'd always just smash them past wee teams. Boyd very, very rarely covered himself in glory in the big games, the Old Firm, and The Champion's League. Boyd was a selfish striker, not just in terms of his attitude, but his ability. He couldn't link up, he struggled to hold the ball up, his passing was woeful, and if the chances weren't falling at his feet, he'd be absolutely useless.

I remember every season around October/November time, when Boyd's goals would dry up, and everyone would realise that he's an awful player, and that we play far better football when he's not in the team. When Smith started dropping him, playing someone else up top with Miller - we would see much better football, the ball staying up the opposition's end of the park for more of the game, better link up play and more chances.

Then Boyd comes back in and hits a few goals, but his goals often just papered over the cracks of the harm he was causing the team.

That was when Miller was partnered by the likes of Lafferty, Naismith and others who are under question after a few years here. What would it be like if Miller would find himself partnered up front with a striker the quality of Jelavic?

I wouldn't worry too much about goals next year, because without the onus being on giving the ball to Boyd, they'll flow more than you'll think.

Thanks for your time here Kris, and thanks for the goals. But if you don't want to play for the famous Glasgow Rangers - Then good riddance.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, don't get me wrong, he scored a lot of goals for us, and quite a few important ones - but will we actually miss Kris Boyd? I'm actually cringing at the prospect of fans fearing we won't sign another striker in his mould. We don't need another striker in his mould.

Boyd scored 25/30 goals a season, but lets be honest, he'd always just smash them past wee teams. Boyd very, very rarely covered himself in glory in the big games, the Old Firm, and The Champion's League. Boyd was a selfish striker, not just in terms of his attitude, but his ability. He couldn't link up, he struggled to hold the ball up, his passing was woeful, and if the chances weren't falling at his feet, he'd be absolutely useless.

I remember every season around October/November time, when Boyd's goals would dry up, and everyone would realise that he's an awful player, and that we play far better football when he's not in the team. When Smith started dropping him, playing someone else up top with Miller - we would see much better football, the ball staying up the opposition's end of the park for more of the game, better link up play and more chances.

Then Boyd comes back in and hits a few goals, but his goals often just papered over the cracks of the harm he was causing the team.

That was when Miller was partnered by the likes of Lafferty, Naismith and others who are under question after a few years here. What would it be like if Miller would find himself partnered up front with a striker the quality of Jelavic?

I wouldn't worry too much about goals next year, because without the onus being on giving the ball to Boyd, they'll flow more than you'll think.

Thanks for your time here Kris, and thanks for the goals. But if you don't want to play for the famous Glasgow Rangers - Then good riddance.

Totally agree i was never really a fan of Boyd yes he scored loads of goals for us but when he wasnt interested he was like a spoilt kid.

It just seemed to me that Boyd slowed down play far too much, we couldn't play a ball over the top, because he couldn't chase it. We couldn't play it to his feet, because he couldn't hold them off, and we couldn't play up high to him, because he can't flick on.

With Boyd we had to do all the work from midfield (harder when your best player is forced out wide) and pray we could find him in the box.

Boyd scoring every chance is the biggest myth since McGeady's transfer value. Boyd missed as many chances as Miller IMO, we just tried so much harder to get Boyd chances, that he had better opportunities to grab the goal - once you score, no one remembers the misses.

Time will tell. If we struggle to score goals in the first few weeks you know who's name will come up.

A few other players need to step up and contribute more goals but as you say perhaps coming out of boyds shadow will be an enabler for the rest of the strikers

I wouldn't say I'm glad he's gone but I believe we will cope without him.

His goals did just cover up the massive flaws in his game which to be fair he has tidied up a little bit & we all know how good he was in Europe & against the better sides in the SPL-pish-is doing pish a disservice.

We wont really miss him, tbh any striker in the spl-first div would get 10 goals a season with Gers.

He is a throwback to old day football & he just dosent have the technical ability to do well in the top leagues.

he will score at least 20 in the C,ship this season(7-10 pens) & be total dross in the EPL next season,(Boro are naps to go up IMHO) get dropped & get signed by another C,ship team.

never been his biggest fan but at the end of the day goals against the smaller clubs are still incredibly important.

in saying that his goals did seriously dry up after new year last season without too much mention, dont know the stats but would imagine miller scored more in the second half of the season

Good post and I agree, but whether he was a shocking footballer or not, he still scored 20-30 goals a season, and without a replacement we won't see anyone do that this season I fear.

FFS i will say this again his record against every team in the leauge except the taigs is good. Whats the problem, he is gone end of. His goals mean alot to me as i remember the dire performances at Falkirk, Hamilton, Motherwell etc and the big man pulled us out a hole. He was a limited striker but give me a striker that can score goals any day of the week over a prima donna

There are very few instinctive goalscoring strikers and Boyd is one of them.For years we lamented not having a natural goalscorer and when we got one the complaints that he was not an "all round player" started.

I do not want a striker that is the "first line of defence", runs about like a headless chicken,presses central defenders who cannot build play anyway, I want someone who can stick the ball in the net and Boyd has the record that proves he can do that.

We now have Miller who can score as long as he doesn't have time to think and Lafferty who can score the odd goal coming in from wide areas, Naismith who may score the odd goal now and again, Velicka who if he can get someone to hit the ball off him might grab a few.

None of these options fill me with confidence and judging by the team set up pre season Walter does not look to be relying on goals for.

If you provide the chances for Boyd in the box he will finish them. His game stops and starts at scoring goals. Managers trying to make him something which he isn't, deserve more criticism than the player himself does.

His goals will be a big loss, but, as ever, we will survive his departure.

i liked him, although sometimes or most times he would have me screaming with angst at his lack of work rate, but he done us a good service and i believe if it werent for him we would be in a worse situation than we are, cant we maybe give folks praise when they leave instead of some of the pish that gets spouted about, and i dont blame him for going either and i certainly aint gonna curse the guy just for the reason of he left us

I accept the point that Boyd is somewhat one-dimensional, and tended to really only do the business against the so-called SPL diddy teams, but a goal is a goal, no matter who it is scored against. You get 3 points for beating St Mirren the same way you do for humping Celtic. While im happy to acknowledge Boyd's shortcomings in terms of his all round play, it definetly seems to me there is a bit of revisionism fuelled by bitterness at his leaving going on here.

We're going to miss his goals in a big way. Where will we get the 30 goals a season he delievered? Miller - far from prolific, hitting his 30s, and a bit injury prone. Lafferty - no chance, he's an imposter. Naismith - not for me thanks. With regards to new signings, Smith hasnt exactly got the best track record in unearthing prolific goalscorers. Plus we have little money to spend and will be outbid by any team with two bob to rub together.