• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, shit, shit !!!!

Looks like it may be true after all, this is in the Portsmouth News

Rangers chasing striker Smith

Published Date:

11 August 2010

By Jordan Cross

Rangers are in talks to take Tommy Smith north of the border.

The Scottish giants have stepped up their hunt for the striker as transfer activity hots up at Fratton Park in the wake of last week's High Court success.

Pompey know they now need to generate around half of the £15m required to fund the Company Voluntary Agreement, which can take them out of administration.

Prince Boateng's imminent £4.5m move to Genoa will cover a large portion of that with John Utaka also expected to be on his way.

Whether the money the Nigerian generates will mean the pressure is off when it comes to exits is open to question, though.

Teams from France and the Far East have been in for Utaka with more interest registered at the end of last week.

Cotterill knows his squad needs strengthening, though, with it already hopelessly short on depth and quality.

He has permission to make three signings and has a host of players on his radar.

Anthony Vanden Borre is a target, with Cotterill hopeful of bringing in a left-back as well as attacking options.

Rangers have already been in touch over Smith this summer, but their £300,000 offer was laughed off by Pompey.

They feel a bid of around £800,000 to £1m could persuade the Blues to do business.

There are other sides interested in Smith, including the likes of Championship rivals QPR who are reported to be preparing a bid in excess of £1m.

Administrator Andrew Andronikou revealed talks with Rangers are taking place over the 30-year-old.

He said: 'There has been dialogue and that will continue. We'll see where it goes.'

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Rangers-chasing-striker-Smith.6468035.jp

Doesnt appear to be an out-and-out striker, which would tie in with the ongoing Jelavic deal which Rangers say is not dead - therefore i would assume Smith would play out wide with Jelavic in the middle with Miller, and probably Lafferty or Naismith out on the other wing.

IF we sign him then its a strange one in my books , don't doubt the lad would score goals up here but i think he is being bought for his ability to play on the wings rather than as a striker which is strange as there are better players out there if we look hard enough ...

Tommy Smith's good! I rate him pretty well. In fact he will score more goals then Kenny Miller.

Not a bad signing!

Just checked his stats on Wikipedia

Played: 415

Scored: 85

That is 1 goal in 5 games for mostly crap Championship teams..

We better not be signing him as a striker as he has a pish record. Even as a winger, surely to fuck there is someone better out there!!

Hopefully this isn't true. Surely Welcome at 500k would be a better signing??

Im not exactly a Tommy Smith fan, but he can play in a couple of positions. Welcome from the video everyone creamed themselfs over against USA i thought it was a lucky strike. He never looked to be in total control of the ball. Give me a british player any day, given thats were most of our success has come from the last couple of years

I follow Portsmouth as a 'second' team almost.

Tommy Smith is utter, utter gash for them. HOWEVER, he was useful before his move there and what with the absolute farcical soap opera that Pompey has turned into maybe this is just what he needs.

Then again, there's no fucking way on Earth we should be paying £1.5m for a 'maybe' :angry:

Tommy Smith's good! I rate him pretty well. In fact he will score more goals then Kenny Miller.

Not a bad signing!

You are basing this on what exactly?

I live in England now and have done for 18 years. I follow all the English football and Tommy Smith will score 20 goals plus in Scotland.

I feel better about him singing for us than when Kenny Miller did. Rangers will create lots of chances for him and he can bang them in.

Not a bad signing!

You are basing this on what exactly?

I live in England now and have done for 18 years. I follow all the English football and Tommy Smith will score 20 goals plus in Scotland.

I feel better about him singing for us than when Kenny Miller did. Rangers will create lots of chances for him and he can bang them in.

My hairy hoop. He has got Francis Jeffers written all over him.