Weir confirmed for Scotland

Jimbo.

BBC

David Weir and Paul Hartley back in Scotland squad

_48848432_weir466.jpg

Weir could become the oldest player to ever play for Scotland

Veterans David Weir and Paul Hartley have been recalled to the Scotland squad, with Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks being listed for the first time.

It was thought that 40-year-old Weir's international career was over when Levein left the Rangers defender out of his first two squads.

Aberdeen's Hartley, 33, also missed this month's 3-0 friendly defeat in Sweden as he was then without a club.

But they could face Lithuania and Liechtenstein in Euro 2012 qualifiers.

Scotland open their Group I campaign in Lithuania on 3 September and are at home to minnows Liechtenstein four days later.

o.gifScotland coach Craig LeveinRangers captain Weir replaces Dundee United's Garry Kenneth, who was much criticised for his display in Stockholm.

Weir had an understanding with Burley that he would only be called up if he was certain to play and Levein could now put him straight into his defence for the game in Lithuania.

The defender had been left out of previous national boss George Burley's plans last year.

However, he was recalled for the World Cup qualifying double-header against Macedonia and Netherlands in September 2009, his last game being the 1-0 defeat to the Dutch at Hampden.

Levein told the Scottish Football Association website: "The thing about Davie is he is still playing at the highest level week in, week out.

"The fact he is still turning in top-class performances means it was a pretty easy decision to make for me.

"I had a good chat with him last night and I told him I was not just bringing him along for the ride.

_48849996_gilks282.jpg

Gilks lost six goals as Blackpool were beaten 6-0 by Arsenal

"I had a look at a few people in the last couple of games, but we are playing for real now.

"My job is to pick the best players for each position and, if you look around, Davie is probably as good as anyone."

Weir's Rangers team-mate, Andy Webster, returns after missing the friendly against Sweden through injury.

Hartley's return had been expected, with the midfielder being hailed as the inspiration behind Aberdeen's fine start to the season.

The 28-year-old Gilks, who was born in Rochdale, lost six goals as Blackpool were thrashed by Arsenal on Saturday in their second match back in England's top flight.

However, the English-born goalkeeper, who has Scottish grandparents, has been preferred to Neil Alexander, who has been back-up to Allan McGregor at Rangers.

McGregor is likely to remain Levein's first choice in the absence of the injured Craig Gordon, with Norwich City's David Marshall continuing in the squad after pulling out of the Sweden match through injury.

Striker Steven Fletcher and defenders Alan Hutton and Kevin McNaughton are included in the squad despite being unfit for the Lithuania game.

Levein is hopeful that the trio will be ready for the match against Liechtenstein at Hampden.

Well done davie, have no doubts over him sitting out games. guys probably fitter than most the squad but you know there cant be much talent when a 40 year old is still getting a game, suppose levein dosent have much choice with people such as the brady bunch (caldwell brothers) then such classics as gary kenneth and stephen mcmancus, our CBs in scotland are a total joke but hats off to you davie :beer1: