Salim Kerkar in squad to face Kilmarnock

LegendofCoop

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of you in a way are correct, he had to wait until he was 17 to get the wages of a professional footballer, that is why he could only get £80 a week, this doesn't stop him being named in any squad or even playing, as mentioned about being on the bench in April.

Education wise, he would have been only started year 11 when he turned 16 so would have to officially stay at school until the end of that academic year, but around April time he could get away with disappearing from school for work experience etc so no rules would have been relaxed.

same hapened with fleck. jg went up to his school with the contract.

It makes no sense

Rooney would've been doing his GCSEs in May and June 2002 yet was on the bench for Everton in April 2002. If there was a rule in place that stopped 16 year olds playing in the EPL, then would this seriously be dropped because the boy was "on work experience" ?

school to all intents and purposes finished when you stop for study leave around april time.

someone already said he only did 1 exam.

It makes no sense

Rooney would've been doing his GCSEs in May and June 2002 yet was on the bench for Everton in April 2002. If there was a rule in place that stopped 16 year olds playing in the EPL, then would this seriously be dropped because the boy was "on work experience" ?

There is no rule stopping 16 year olds playing in the EPL, no-one has said that, it's all to do with when they can receive the wages of a professional footballer, in the EPL being 17 years of age, but they can play at 16.

As mentioned by someone, Rooney only sat one GCSE (Maths), if that's all he was actually bothering to study for then there would no problem for him going on study leave around April as he would only have to return for that one exam.

There is no rule stopping 16 year olds playing in the EPL, no-one has said that, it's all to do with when they can receive the wages of a professional footballer, in the EPL being 17 years of age, but they can play at 16.

As mentioned by someone, Rooney only sat one GCSE (Maths), if that's all he was actually bothering to study for then there would no problem for him going on study leave around April as he would only have to return for that one exam.

So in essence, the EPL are encouraging 16 year olds not to sit their GCSEs as they'll be eligible for the first team a few months sooner if they drop out of school early? I'm still not buying this that Rooney was ineligile for Smith in February but eligible for Moyes in April

So in essence, the EPL are encouraging 16 year olds not to sit their GCSEs as they'll be eligible for the first team a few months sooner if they drop out of school early? I'm still not buying this that Rooney was ineligile for Smith in February but eligible for Moyes in April

I very much doubt that seeing that it isn't exactly a common occurrence as far as I'm aware, and I don't think it would be the EPL who would be doing it but the parent club, if it happens at all.

so to recap smith giving wilson his chance and not being able to play rooney is proof he never gives youth a chance.

<cr>

Even if Rooney was never eligible for Walter Smith, you can't seriously claim that it was Walter who brought him through when he never ever played under him

Walter would have involved him in the first squad though and training with them so it could be argued that he did help develop him.

You could say that about any young player who ever trained under him. When it comes down to it, the manager who gives him a chance in the first team is the one who is deemed to have 'brought him through'

I was thinking about that and if I remember correctly, Rangers moved the family and bought them a new home as they couldn't give Fleck a proper contract, or was that even before he turned 16?

that was when he was younger if it was even true.

he signed as soon as he left school which i think was as soon as he was 16. perhaps before as his birthday is august.

You could say that about any young player who ever trained under him. When it comes down to it, the manager who gives him a chance in the first team is the one who is deemed to have 'brought him through'

The whole crux of the Rooney argument though was about Walter wanting to play him as soon as possible but couldn't though :lol:

The whole crux of the Rooney argument though was about Walter wanting to play him as soon as possible but couldn't though :lol:

He looked into his eligibility. I highly doubt he would've actually thrown a 16 year old schoolboy into a relegation battle, but i guess others will inevitably disagree

He threw in Gattuso, why not Ferguson?

do you realy think it was realistic to throw both in in a season where we were under presure like no other season in our history.

also gatousso was that bit more prepared physically and was the better player as was shown in their respective careers.

do you realy think it was realistic to throw both in in a season where we were under presure like no other season in our history.

also gatousso was that bit more prepared physically and was the better player as was shown in their respective careers.

Did I say they have to be in the team at the same time? Either or could have been used that season to bring a freshness to a team that was dying on its arse.

The post i replied to said that Smith was unable to throw an 18 year old into a championship battle, when I pointed out that he actually did. And, in my info, Ferguson could also have been used in that season.

Fergusons performances the following season showed that he would have been more than able to play some part the season before, unless you think he went from being unable to even be a bit part player, to being able to be the focal point of a treble winning midfield over the space of 3 months.

And I'd take a pre-injury Ferguson out of the two every time, although they were completely different style of player.