Boxing and MMA

Just now, JamieD said:

Why be so obvious about it though? In an obviously close-ish fight, why not fix it by one point? Maybe she's just a fucking idiot.

It was a close fight, which is why I just don't understand how you score the fight with that big of a margin.

Maybe she wasĀ watching a different fight on her wee monitor.Ā :mutley:

Just now, Da Kool Blue said:

It was a close fight, which is why I just don't understand how you score the fight with that big of a margin.

Maybe she wasĀ watching a different fight on her wee monitor.Ā :mutley:

Maybe she mixed them up thinking you couldn't possibly get a ginger mexican.

15 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Why be so obvious about it though? In an obviously close-ish fight, why not fix it by one point? Maybe she's just a fucking idiot.

I thought after round 5 at least GGG got the much better of it for the rest of the fight. I don't know what Canelo was doing laying on the ropes.

1 minute ago, keithgersbear said:

I thought after round 5 at least GGG got the much better of it for the rest of the fight. I don't know what Canelo was doing laying on the ropes.

Yeah, I had Canelo taking the first three clearly, then probably GGG all the way til the last two rounds. The energy Canelo seemed to have in round 12 makes the middle of the fight seem inexplicable. Still, worked for him.

It wasn't a close fight. GGG won the "fight" quite convincingly. However, when it comes to scoring rounds, the boxing match was closer than the fight was.

Canelo had a couple of tippy tappy rounds at the start, and a couple of closish rounds at the end. If he gets the nod in another couple, a draw can easily happen.

Press row, former fighters, fight bloggers, pundits, etc.Ā scored the fight emphatically to GGG. Indeed the only ones who had it for Canelo, were mostly either Mexican or with links to Golden Boy (a boxing forum I use tallies scores)

115-113 , 116-112 and 117-111 seem to be the scores most give it to GGG with.

I've watched the fight for a third time this morning and well.... I still cannot see an argument for Canelo winning. Draw is the kindest score I could possibly give. Likewise scoring the fight as kindly to GGG it is a wide win for him.

Watching it back, Canelo really doesn't do much in the middle of the fight. A 10 second spurt here and there where he lands an eye catching hook/uppercut, but then back into survival mode.

Bar the two bookends, Golovkin was forcing the fight, he missed lots, but.... rarelyĀ got made to pay for missing. You don't get scoredĀ for making a guy miss, unless you counter it with effective aggression. Canelo simply did not do this, and GGG was just eating up the rounds by constantly forcing Canelo to back peddle. He was in total control from round 4 to round 10 and it's hard to give Canelo much in that 7 round stretch.

3 hours ago, keithgersbear said:

Canelo must have thought he was hitting rock last night. It must be scary facing someone who you can't knock out cleanly and is all over you like a pack of hyenas on a zebra.Ā 

Yeah his physical attributes are more important than his boxing ability. It seems impossible to hurt the guy, he throws sledge hammers at you, and has the engine to go at you for the full 12 rounds. If he was just equal to the other top guys in these aspects Canelo would have beat him up and knocked him out last night. He's so tough, powerful, and relentless though that its near impossible to beat him. It would take a bigger Mayweather to outclass him clearly enough to win hands down. Without his physical gifts though most of the top p4p guys would beat him if they were the same size because he's not that quick, isn't great defensively, has little upper body or head movement, and cant fight on the back foot.

To post on the thread in general though, I liked Canelo in the fight. He made GGG miss and look sloppy a lot, hit him with some good shots, missed a lot less, so more accurate, went toe-to-toe a lot before moving after landing, took some good shots himself, even let GGG throw his load at him on the ropes and then punched him back across the ring at times, and looked pretty comfortable to me. That's no easy task given he was up against a freak and is not used to fighting on the back foot so much. I thought he would be the better boxer on the night but doubted his ability to handle Golovkin's power which he managed to do so well he was happy to sit against the ropes and shake his head like Mayweather. I was impressed with Canelo but fighting GGG puts you on a hiding to nothing because you cant hurt him, he's powerful as fuck and can hurt you, and so you've little chance of making him go backwards whilst his great engine means he comes at you swinging for 12 rounds. So he presses most of the fight, throws a lot more, and wins even if he doesn't get the KO. His work rate is tremendous.

As you say he's the real deal when it comes to being a beast as well. Canelo hit him with his big KO punches like his uppercut and a right hand similar to the one that nearly killed Khan and he hardly noticed. He walked through the right hand and when his head came back down from the upper-cut he just screwed up his face and threw a barrow load of vicious punches back at him :lol: Got to give respect to anyone who gets into a ring and has a go against him. Must be the hardest boxer of my lifetime.Ā 

I thought Golovkin done enough to win because he's so relentless and always throwing. Canelo impressed me more but he didn't do enough. GGG pressed the fight and must have landed a fair bit more over the piece despite missing so much. I don't see anyone beating him now until he's completely past it because no one will be able to take the fight to him enough to outpunch him without getting put to sleep or to KO him. I liked Canelo so had it close but gave it to Golovkin by about two rounds. The judge who scored it 118-110 needs sacked. You couldn't have given that even if Canelo was your son ffs.

Good fight though. You don't get many Golovkins and Canelo took some good punches from him and coped well overall. I wasn't sure if he was over-rated because of the hype but he looks the real deal to me after that and I cant see him losing to anyone else. I think Golovkin's just too much for anybody. Ā 

33 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

118-110 :lol:Ā 

I'm still stunned at that. I can just about make it a draw if I call every marginal against GGG. Even then I've probably given away a few 60/40s rather than just allĀ 50/50s.Ā 

Canelo has had some belters of cards in his favour. Mayweather, Cotto, Lara and now this one. All maybe equally as bad.

Canelo himself thought heĀ won 8 rounds, De La Hoya and Hopkins - the guys who own Golden BoyĀ his promoters, gave him 7, as did Mexican TVĀ - obviously these guys have a lot of bias. However, Byrd gave him 10 rounds.

She is either grossly incompetent or downright corrupt.