Boxing and MMA

Here, in chronological order, the Voice of Darts Sid Waddell gives us his selection...

Taylor throws a nine-darter in Blackpool - 2002

This was history in the making as Taylor hit a nine-dart finish on live British television for the first time, during his quarter-final against Chris Mason in the World Matchplay Championship. He was so confident of doing it that he told his favourite Chinese takeaway owner to put a bet on! After he'd done it, they showed him the £100,000 prize money in cash in a locked-up cage backstage. I've never seen a bigger grin on anybody's face! It was amazing!

Part beats Taylor to win the World Championship - 2003

This was the worst preparation Phil Taylor ever had in defending his title. He went on a rabbit food diet and was pumping iron and doing all sorts of things. He lost far too much weight too quickly and in the end Part didn't need to play to well to beat him. Taylor lost the title that year... but it just made him more determined to come back stronger. Within days he was working harder than ever to get his title back.

Taylor comes from 4-1 down to win the world title - 2004

This was the best game of darts I've seen in the last 10 years. Taylor went 4-1 down to Kevin Painter and when he went backstage during the break, a Geordie security guard told him he couldn't hear a fat lady singing. Taylor went out and turned it around to win 7-6. Painter is the type of player to show his cards, you can tell when he's tense, and he was too nervous for his own good at the end of that match.

Van Barneveld throws his first televised nine-dart finish - 2006

Barney came over to the PDC at the start of 2006 and started off with an 8-1 smashing of Ronnie Baxter in his first week in the Premier League. In his fifth week he threw a nine-darter against Peter Manley in Bournemouth... now that really is a statement of intent! How do you follow that?

Van Barneveld beats Taylor - 2007

This ranks alongside some of the best darts matches ever, including Taylor beating Mike Gregory in 1992 and Taylor v Painter in 2004. Barney scored something like eighteen 180s, despite not scoring any in the first three sets and people say it was the best ever match - but I wouldn't go that far. It was an important moment for the sport though.

Van der Voort 3-2 Klaasen at the World Championship - 2007

This match took place on my night off and I was sitting in the hotel having a beer while these two guys scored eighteen 180's between them in a match that only lasted about 32 minutes. It was incredible... and was one of the few times I wished I could have put my beer down and got back into that sweaty commentary box!

Shepherd reaches the World Championship Final - 2008

That kid was a phenomenon. He was a sheet-metal worker and had only brought enough underwear for the first three days, but managed to get all the way to the final. In darts, it's all about keeping your impetus going and for various reasons this 21-year-old unknown was able to do that. He beat some top guys as well; Peter Manley, Wayne Mardle and Terry Jenkins, who all have big-stage experience.

Barney's first Ally Pally nine-darter - 2009

To throw a nine-darter at that level of competition is hugely impressive, but it doesn't surprise me that Barney is capable of that. He's got a much smoother and more natural throwing action than even Taylor and he is in control of the dart for longer than almost anybody. When Barney believes in himself he can do anything... but it doesn't take much to give him self doubt.

Wade throws fourteen 180's in one night - 2009

Wade went on to win the Premier League in 2009 and his success was epitomized in Nottingham when he played two matches and threw fourteen 180's, averaging 107. That's the sort of performance that meant it was he, rather than Barney, who would go on and be the main challenger to Taylor for the rest of the season.

Anderson v Lewis at the World Matchplay - 2009

All of us on the Sky Sports darts team agreed that this was the best match we've ever seen in Ireland. Myself and Nigel Pearson were in the commentary box and we went ballistic... all we did was gasp all night long. The game has never been short of needle (which is always good for the viewing figures) and there was animosity of the best kind between these two. It was great to watch.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,2...5812853,00.html