Strathclyde police open investigations over Neil Lennon's allegations

Jamie1807

Strathclyde police has opened an investigation into Wednesday night's Old Firm derby after complaints made by the public against the Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, regarding alleged abuse of the Rangers striker El Hadji Diouf.

The Scottish Cup replay at Celtic Park proved notable after three red cards for Rangers players and a touchline bust-up between Lennon and McCoist, the visiting club's assistant manager.

The police have now received a series of complaints about Lennon, believed to relate to allegations of abuse towards Diouf in what was a separate touchline clash, and are looking into them.

A Strathclyde police spokesman said: "We have received complaints from members of the public regarding allegations surrounding events during the Old Firm match on Wednesday 2 March 2011, which we are currently investigating."

Celtic remain fully behind their manager. Lennon's lawyer, Paul McBride QC, said: "These allegations are defamatory and outrageous with no substance whatsoever.

"This is a concerted campaign by malicious and despicable individuals to cause distress to Neil Lennon.

"Celtic Football Club and Celtic fans stand by their manager in the face of these vicious and unacceptable attacks."

A suspicious package addressed to Lennon was intercepted at a Royal Mail sorting office on Friday. Security around the Celtic manager has been increased amid a series of incidents, which include another parcel — which contained bullets — being sent to him and late night, threatening phone calls.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/05/neil-lennon-police-celtic-rangers

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of racist remarks.

:(

Whos pulling whos strings here?

I noticed that too.

However, they have to be careful. You know what Celtic and McBride are like. If they put racist anywhere, they will appeal to get the paper put out of business.

I could be wrong, but reading between the lines the papers wants to say it, but have been advised otherwise.

Just the way I read it.

I noticed that too.

However, they have to be careful. You know what Celtic and McBride are like. If they put racist anywhere, they will appeal to get the paper put out of business.

I could be wrong, but reading between the lines the papers wants to say it, but have been advised otherwise.

Just the way I read it.

Maybe, only time will tell.

(tu)

I think Rangers might be waiting until this summit meeting

A lot of youse might think that they won't say a thing, but I have an inkling that there's a lot waiting to come out

The video "evidence" is too weak im afraid. He could say he called him a "spitter". Its one word against another. No case here on this alone, just my law opinion.

What about the statements from those round about him? Would they work? They all clearly heard it and surely cannot lie to police.

:blush:

The video "evidence" is too weak im afraid. He could say he called him a "spitter". Its one word against another. No case here on this alone, just my law opinion.

Is that not where people at Rangers come forward and give their side?

Time to show balls.

As much as some people might not believe me. I deplore genuine racism. Regardless of how some interpritate my posts etc. No need for it.

Especially in football when you have guys playing for your team.

The part where he says the celtic fans stand by their manager is lauaghable, got text on wed from a celtic fan which said neil lennon is a prick

Thats just one person,Did you not here the full stadium in full voice singing theres only 1 neil lennon on wed,and on other occasions.

I'd presume so

I really didnt think thats what he said, and its embarassing if people have complained in mass because of it but I do understand when people say the guys in front of Lennon wouldnt have turned round in such shock if it wasnt so shocking. If he is found to have acted in a racist way though I hope he gets the book thrown at him

I really didnt think thats what he said, and its embarassing if people have complained in mass because of it but I do understand when people say the guys in front of Lennon wouldnt have turned round in such shock if it wasnt so shocking. If he is found to have acted in a racist way though I hope he gets the book thrown at him

Mein Kampf?