Police Raids on internet abusers starts

MosesMcNeil

BBC Scotland now reporting targetting of people who abused people connected with both clubs, but only naming Lennon, McBride and whats'ername. Plainly an editorial muddle at Parkhead Quay. Unusual to see them even bothering trying to provide an even handed report, though. My paranoiac side tells me the coppers have been at them suggesting they refrain from misrepresenting their actions, but it's probably the usual incompetence more than anything.

You guys must be reading a different article as I have read this line everytime I looked the article........

The operation targets postings of religious and racial hate comments about Celtic manager Neil Lennon and Rangers striker El Hadji-Diouf.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No but as they can't catch the person or persons responsible, it makes much better headlines and they can vilify 50 people who were acting like tossers on the web. Woopee doo.

Only in Scotland , eh !!!

Embarrassing. All the money it will cost, time its wasted, wrong people it may incriminate, and we have rapists, murdewrers and peados living amongst us.

Religion causes nothing but segragation and pain. Out dated doctrines and no interest from the majority, Ban it. The root of so many evils.

Two men have been arrested after raids by police targeting people suspected of posting "sectarian and hate filled" comments on websites.

A 23-year-old and a 27-year-old are in police custody after the raids in the early hours of the morning.

The arrests were made in Paisley and Dalmarnock in the east end of Glasgow. Both men have been charged with sectarian breach of the peace

Police are targeting about 50 people in the operation.

The raids, which police said were ongoing, target postings of religious and racial hate comments about Celtic manager Neil Lennon and Rangers striker El Hadji-Diouf.

It is understood the addresses were identified with the help of the Internet Service Providers Association.

Last game

An extra 1,000 officers will be out in Glasgow on Sunday for Celtic and Rangers last game of the season.

It has been reported that officers had "at least 50" targets connected to comments about various individuals, including Lennon and El Hadji-Diouf.

Lennon has endured sectarian threats against him throughout his career as a player and manager at Celtic and was the target of a parcel bomb campaign, which also saw devices sent to QC Paul McBride and MSP Trish Godman.

A number of youth players for various Scottish clubs have also been disciplined for comments they made online.

Speaking ahead Sunday's game, Lennon said: "I've had this for 10 years but I don't want to say you get used to it, because you never do.

"It's been with me during my time as a player, my time as a coach and my time as a manager. But it is not going to deter me from doing what I want to do."

'Spew hatred'

Mr McBride, who has acted for Celtic Football Club, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the problem was being fuelled by websites encouraging people to commit acts of violence.

"The internet appears to be a driver for individuals to come together and spew their hatred and bile out," he said.

"And I'm afraid it's resulted in people dying. People are being stabbed in a sectarian way in Glasgow. As a person who works in the High Court as a QC every day of the week, I see the result of sectarian crime."

First Minister Alex Salmond said there should be "no hiding place" for those responsible for sectarian abuse on the internet.

He said: "We also have to have key legal changes which make convictions in that area, because of corroboration, more possible, but we have already done that for different types of offences, for example sex crimes through the internet.

"It can certainly be done for sectarian crime."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13175213

That young boy from St Mirren, Josh Horne, is from Renfrew. He writes some amount of anti-catholic stuff on his page I'm surprised he hasn't be pulled up before.

Saints starlet suspended over “sectarian” comments

Apr 22 2011 by Jeff Holmes, Paisley Daily Express

ST MIRREN bosses suspended a youth player yesterday after sectarian comments were made on social networking sites.

Teenage right-back Josh Horne, who is from Paisley, was sent home by club chiefs yesterday morning when he turned up for training.

Saints took action after receiving a number of complaints about comments which had been posted on 17-year-old Horne’s Facebook page – including one message which suggested that Celtic manager Neil Lennon should be hanged.

And, last night, St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour insisted the club will not tolerate any form of sectarianism.

He told the Paisley Daily Express: “I can confirm that one of our youth players has been suspended. We are currently in the middle of gathering together all of the facts.

“I don’t know exactly what has supposed to have been said and, until I do, it’s a case of ‘innocent until proven guilty.’

“However, anyone from this club who is found to have made abusive comments will be dealt with severely. Racism and sectarianism has no place in football and will not be tolerated.”

The Express understands that St Mirren took the decision to suspend Horne, who plays for the club’s under-19s team, after they were alerted to a number of comments on both Facebook and Twitter which date back as far as January.

One message on Horne’s Facebook page read: ‘Hang Neil Lennon, hang him high.’

Another referred to a ‘petrol bomb’, while a third appears to relate to the controversial ‘Famine Song’ that recalls the tragedy that killed an estimated one million people in Ireland in the 1840s.

Horne has yet to make his debut for St Mirren’s first team but is a highly-rated young defender who played a starring role in the under-19 side that notched up a 2-1 win over Rangers at McKenna Park earlier this month.

When the player turned up at the club yesterday morning, he was told to go home and informed that he will not be considered for St Mirren’s under-19s league match at Aberdeen today.

St Mirren’s general manager Brian Caldwell said: “The matter is currently under investigation and it would be inappropriate for us to comment any further.”

A police source told the Express that people who use social networking sites must take care over what messages are posted there.

He added: “Everything depends on what an individual has actually said. We have freedom of speech rules in this country and there would only be an investigation if comments were deemed to be inciteful.

“If that is the case and a crime has been committed, then the police would look into the matter further.”

Horne’s suspension comes just days after it was revealed that parcel bombs had been sent to Celtic boss Lennon and two of the club’s high-profile supporters – including former West Renfrewshire MSP Trish Godman.

A police investigation is continuing after a liquid-based package – which cops have described as “viable” and “designed to kill” – was sent to Ms Godman’s constituency office at Quarriers Village, in Bridge of Weir.

Until the break-up of the Scottish Parliament ahead of the May 5 elections, Labour stalwart Ms Godman served as Deputy Presiding Officer.

She has decided to retire from politics but, on her last day as a MSP, she was pictured in the Holyrood chamber wearing a Celtic top as part of a bid to raise cash for charity.

A second Saints youth player, Declan Hughes, is also under investigation for a similar alleged offence.

My link: Paisley Daily Express

Well, as long as it isn't obscene, anti-Catholic is hardly illegal.

Richard Dawkins had this to say about the Panzer Papa:

A leering old villain in a frock, who spent decades conspiring behind closed doors for the position he now holds; a man who believes he is infallible and acts the part; a man whose preaching of scientific falsehood is responsible for the deaths of countless AIDS victims in Africa; a man whose first instinct when his priests are caught with their pants down is to cover up the scandal and damn the young victims to silence: in short, exactly the right man for the job. He should not resign, moreover, because he is perfectly positioned to accelerate the downfall of the evil, corrupt organization whose character he fits like a glove, and of which he is the absolute and historically appropriate monarch.

No, Pope Ratzinger should not resign. He should remain in charge of the whole rotten edifice - the whole profiteering, woman-fearing, guilt-gorging, truth-hating, child-raping institution - while it tumbles, amid a stench of incense and a rain of tourist-kitsch sacred hearts and preposterously crowned virgins, about his ears.

And that's ok. You see, Dawkins is an intellectual - a professor no less.

But, here in Scotland, it seems the right to make such comments is about to be crushed in the stampede to wipe it out. Wipe what out?

Well, anything really. Just something.

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised at all by this turn of events. After all, Salmond spent millions of our money to ensure the paedophile protector was safe in Scotland whilst standing silently by as a young St Mirren player looks as if he's about to be hung out to dry.

Pathetic getting to the stage well be typing shit along the lines of 'good afternoon good fellow. What's that you say 'you us gaun tae watch ra schellik'? I am totally unsure of what or who 'ra schellik' are, however I hope you have a suitably spiffing time old bean and do hope your team gets rammed a la ron jeremy'

Saints starlet suspended over “sectarian” comments

Apr 22 2011 by Jeff Holmes, Paisley Daily Express

ST MIRREN bosses suspended a youth player yesterday after sectarian comments were made on social networking sites.

Teenage right-back Josh Horne, who is from Paisley, was sent home by club chiefs yesterday morning when he turned up for training.

Saints took action after receiving a number of complaints about comments which had been posted on 17-year-old Horne’s Facebook page – including one message which suggested that Celtic manager Neil Lennon should be hanged.

And, last night, St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour insisted the club will not tolerate any form of sectarianism.

He told the Paisley Daily Express: “I can confirm that one of our youth players has been suspended. We are currently in the middle of gathering together all of the facts.

“I don’t know exactly what has supposed to have been said and, until I do, it’s a case of ‘innocent until proven guilty.’

“However, anyone from this club who is found to have made abusive comments will be dealt with severely. Racism and sectarianism has no place in football and will not be tolerated.”

The Express understands that St Mirren took the decision to suspend Horne, who plays for the club’s under-19s team, after they were alerted to a number of comments on both Facebook and Twitter which date back as far as January.

One message on Horne’s Facebook page read: ‘Hang Neil Lennon, hang him high.’

Another referred to a ‘petrol bomb’, while a third appears to relate to the controversial ‘Famine Song’ that recalls the tragedy that killed an estimated one million people in Ireland in the 1840s.

Horne has yet to make his debut for St Mirren’s first team but is a highly-rated young defender who played a starring role in the under-19 side that notched up a 2-1 win over Rangers at McKenna Park earlier this month.

When the player turned up at the club yesterday morning, he was told to go home and informed that he will not be considered for St Mirren’s under-19s league match at Aberdeen today.

St Mirren’s general manager Brian Caldwell said: “The matter is currently under investigation and it would be inappropriate for us to comment any further.”

A police source told the Express that people who use social networking sites must take care over what messages are posted there.

He added: “Everything depends on what an individual has actually said. We have freedom of speech rules in this country and there would only be an investigation if comments were deemed to be inciteful.

“If that is the case and a crime has been committed, then the police would look into the matter further.”

Horne’s suspension comes just days after it was revealed that parcel bombs had been sent to Celtic boss Lennon and two of the club’s high-profile supporters – including former West Renfrewshire MSP Trish Godman.

A police investigation is continuing after a liquid-based package – which cops have described as “viable” and “designed to kill” – was sent to Ms Godman’s constituency office at Quarriers Village, in Bridge of Weir.

Until the break-up of the Scottish Parliament ahead of the May 5 elections, Labour stalwart Ms Godman served as Deputy Presiding Officer.

She has decided to retire from politics but, on her last day as a MSP, she was pictured in the Holyrood chamber wearing a Celtic top as part of a bid to raise cash for charity.

A second Saints youth player, Declan Hughes, is also under investigation for a similar alleged offence.

My link: Paisley Daily Express

You can probably guess the nature of 'Declan's' comments but they only merit a one line throwaway comment at the end.