Reason Zaliukas was dropped

BBC Scotland has learned that Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov withdrew Marius Zaliukas from Saturday's match against Rangers in case he was red-carded.

Zaliukas was sent off by referee Iain Brines earlier this season in a match at Hibs and against Aberdeen in 2008 and Romanov feared a repeat at Ibrox.

The defender's replacement on Saturday was Eggert Jonsson who was red-carded by Brines with 30 minutes remaining.

The club captain will return to the squad against Celtic on Wednesday.

Hearts manager Jim Jefferies told the defender of the decision after a phone call from Lithuania before Saturday's game.

When asked about the Lithuanian's absence, Jefferies said: "He wasn't available for selection - that's as much as I'm going to say on it."

Zaliukas was also frozen out of the team until October as he stalled on accepting a permanent contract offer.

However, the player was eventually brought back into the side and agreed a new deal in November to keep him at Tynecastle until 2013.

The 27-year-old joined Hearts from Kaunas, who are sponsored by Romanov's bank Ukio Bankas, on-loan in August 2006 and quickly became a regular in the first team.

Jefferies appointed him as club captain last summer following the departure of Michael Stewart - despite the player failing to agree a new deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13332462.stm

:L This will add fuel to the conspiracy theories. He didn't want his best defender getting sent off and miss the Celtic game!

BBC in pro-conspiracy-theory shocker! They're quite obviously pandering to the tinks and their tinfoil-hat brigade.

No way would Romanov pull a player incase he got red-carded, no fkn way. :lol:

I'd bet dollars-to-doughnuts its contract related

BBC in pro-conspiracy-theory shocker! They're quite obviously pandering to the tinks and their tinfoil-hat brigade.

It'll almost certainly be because he's hankering for a transfer, possibly to us

He signed his contract before the turn of the year im sure. I wouldnt like to think he was involved with the wee girl allegedly Kello was, from Tynecastle High. :(

All sorts of rumours kicking around. The BBC one is the funniest.

Maybe Romanov has been reading the Scottish Papers.

He must have a sense of humour afterall :sherlock:

Exactly why mate, there will be other reasons of course but no doubt he read or heard the pish from the papes and decided to stir the pot! :)

Love Romanov sometimes! :chopometer:

Rumours of match fixing going around, Kello and Ian black allegedly involved too. Thats the gossip from the capital. (Came from a Hibee right enough, so not sure how much is true)

I heard the same from a Jambo at work today.

Then again, he also said that Jeffries had walked and that's obviously not true as it stands...

He signed his contract before the turn of the year im sure. I wouldnt like to think he was involved with the wee girl allegedly Kello was, from Tynecastle High. :(

All sorts of rumours kicking around. The BBC one is the funniest.

Whats this?

Went to Tynie and haven't heard this....

PM me the lassies name if you know it and I'll find out.