New sectarian laws for Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13469005

Salmond announces plans for new anti-sectarian law

ball

New legislation to tackle sectarianism is to be put before the Scottish Parliament next week, the BBC understands.

First Minister Alex Salmond said he wanted to pass the legislation before the football season began in July.

The plans could see the maximum jail term for sectarian hate crimes rise from six months to five years.

Online postings expressing religious hatred or death threats would also become an indictable offence.

The proposals would also include moves to outlaw sectarian displays during football matches.

In an interview with BBC Scotland, Mr Salmond said: "We've got a particular problem attaching itself like a parasite to our great game of football and that is now going to be eradicated, it's over, it's finished."

The plans will be put before parliament on Wednesday by Roseanna Cunningham, newly appointed minister for community safety and legal affairs.

The move comes after two men appeared in court after suspected bombs were sent to Celtic manager Neil Lennon and two other high-profile supporters of the club in March.

Another man was charged with breach of the peace and assault, both aggravated by religious prejudice, after an alleged attack on Celtic manager Neil Lennon at a football game on 11 May.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They first need to outline what is sectarian and what isn't. Neil Lennon isn't receiving the treatment because he's a Catholic, it's because he's a complete and utter wanker who is hated up and down the land.

Every crime can be considered sectarian on this basis, as everyone belongs to a different sect.

They first need to outline what is sectarian and what isn't. Neil Lennon isn't receiving the treatment because he's a Catholic, it's because he's a complete and utter wanker who is hated up and down the land.

Every crime can be considered sectarian on this basis, as everyone belongs to a different sect.

This.

All this debate about whether fenian/H**/orange/taig is sectarian. Somebody in authority has to come out and specific tell us what they deem sectarian.

5 years for disagreeing with the doctrine of the Catholic Church? ffs Is this the dark ages or the age of free speech? Fuck them and their kiddy fiddling church. No one will force me to accept that corrupt out of date church, no one!

Which is fine........as long as your protests are carried out in relevant places such as Cardinal O Briens offices or during a public mass and nowhere near Rangers Football Club :cheers:

Which is fine........as long as your protests are carried out in relevant places such as Cardinal O Briens offices or during a public mass and nowhere near Rangers Football Club :cheers:

or when 50000 fans are calling into question the validity of your religion.

This.

All this debate about whether fenian/H**/orange/taig is sectarian. Somebody in authority has to come out and specific tell us what they deem sectarian.

A senior police officer explained recently, and it was reported in the rpess, that you would get arrested for fenian, ornage, ira songs.....whether they follow through with that is an other debate.

i hope the serial complainers are happy with the world they have created...they don't want to solve what is a problem rather have a go at the "other side"....

Absolutely mate, no place in football for religion. We should really stop any and all religious practices within football stadia. No more blessing themselves. (tu)

all fine and dandy

but lets see plod wade into 50000 fans when the chant of "sad fenian bastard", "sad orange bastard" goes up at old firm games

try and arrest 1 out of that many only for show and there will be riots

as for alex salmond, what a fat, lazy cowardly bastard, its the easy option to label all sorts of crimes "sectarian" and actually not tackle the root cause of the problems

i am sectarian, and i have been all my life according to them, but im not daft enough to post hate mail, scroll messages of hate on walls outside homes and leap barriers and attack opposition managers

and thats down to my good upbringing with good parenting,

if salmond tackled scotlands dismal social problems (if he wants to know what one im talking about then theres a fucking 4 part show on the BBC just now that show them up in a good light) then he could very well start by making a proper deterrent for the real criminals in the streets

knowing that you can pay a fine over many years, or if you get sent to jail that you will end up with a bigger telly, a working job with no expenses to pay, loads of games consoles, drugs readily available if that takes your fancy and the rest, is that really going to stop many criminals from breaking the REAL laws

2 generations of scottish people have grew up in an almost lawless society, where the arseholes of our country basically feel invincible

all fine and dandy

but lets see plod wade into 50000 fans when the chant of "sad fenian bastard", "sad orange bastard" goes up at old firm games

as for alex salmond, what a fat, lazy cowardly bastard, its the easy option to label all sorts of crimes "sectarian" and actually not tackle the root cause of the problems

i am sectarian, and i have been all my life according to them, but im not daft enough to post hate mail, scroll messages of hate on walls outside homes and leap barriers and attack opposition managers

if salmond tackled scotlands dismal social problems (if he wants to know what one im talking about then theres a fucking 4 part show on the BBC just now that show them up in a good light) then he could very well start by making a proper deterrent for the real criminals in the streets

knowing that you can pay a fine over many years, or if you get sent to jail that you will end up with a bigger telly, a working job with no expenses to pay, loads of games consoles, drugs readily available if that takes your fancy and the rest, is that really going to stop many criminals from breaking the REAL laws

2 generations of scottish people have grew up in an almost lawless society, where the arseholes of our country basically feel invincible

Well said that man, couldnt agree more

Everyday when I wake up, I thank the lord I live in england.

You are lucky your arnt up here Call somebody an English bastard or get flung in jail when scotland play england at wembley cause your fucking pished oot yer head and the will make you deputy first minister.

all fine and dandy

(tu)

There was a Celtic fan on Clyde 1 superscoreboard about ten minutes ago suggesting Rangers allowing Motherwell and Stuart McCall use of Murray park ahead of the Scottish Cup final was sectarian.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE WORLD COMING TO!????

Imagine your first day of a 5 stretch, telling the wing's resident hardnut that you're in for calling Neil Lennon a fenian bastard

Especially if the resident hard nut is a Celtic fan!

all fine and dandy

Hit band on the nut mate, excellent post!

There was a Celtic fan on Clyde 1 superscoreboard about ten minutes ago suggesting Rangers allowing Motherwell and Stuart McCall use of Murray park ahead of the Scottish Cup final was sectarian.

Of course it must be sectarian if it's annoyed celtic.

seriously :lol:

Everyday when I wake up, I thank the lord I live in england.

i think the same when i wake up in Canada. i can get away with singing no Pope of Rome. and the rest of the tunes!!!! infact, am blasting a few oot the back door as we speak!