Kevin Thomson

Middlesbrough's Scotland international Kevin Thomson turned up for the first day of pre-season training on crutches, after falling off a treadmill and damaging his ankle.

The former Rangers midfielder, who missed most of last season with an injury to the same ankle and after suffering three broken legs, is now expected to miss the start of the season.

Thomson, who joined in a £2million deal last summer, will have the injury assessed this week.

Boro boss Tony Mowbray said: 'He came off the treadmill, stumbled and damaged his ankle a little bit. I feel for him and I am disappointed for us if he is going to miss the start of the season. I was anticipating him being a big big player for us and he still will be.'

Feel for the guy, just doesn't seem to have any luck at all!

The Scottish Owen Hargreaves.

If he was a wee prancing winger he'd get on alright, but his style of play makes his legs being made of biscuits an even bigger problem. If he had working legs he'd be a tremendous combative midfielder.