Ross Expects To Be Dropped But

Bocanegra was in Paris yesterday to complete the necessary paperwork following his move from French club St Etienne and is expected to report to Murray Park for training this morning.

Youngster Ross Perry stood in for the 32-year-old in the weekend win over Motherwell and admits he'd love to get another chance against Maribor.

Perry said: "I know Carlos will be available again on Thursday and the manager will probably bring him back into the team.

"If there are any problems or I'm needed, I would be ready and desperate to be involved.

"It was great to start my first competitive game for the club and I am really pleased with the way things went.The manager didn't tell me I was starting until the usual time he names the team and that definitely helped because it didn't give me too much time to think about things and get nervous.”

They only reason why it's understandable is 'experience' nothing else suggest to me otherwise that Ross should not start before Carlos.

That's what I was hinting at. If Ally chooses Perry and he has a howler then it's Ally's fault for picking him. If he picks Bocanegra and he has a howler then all the criticism would fall on Bocanegra's shoulders as he's an experienced pro and should be able to perform well for us.

Did Bocanegra train with us all last week?

nah mate tomoro should be his first time training with his new teammates, he flew back to paris last friday and had to wait for a visa before he could get into this country which he now has today so i would assume tomoro is when he trains with the gers for the first time.

I think Perry would honestly be the better option.

He wins more in the air than Bocanegra from what I have seen and is also quicker.

In saying that it shouldn't matter who our defence is because if we go out and attack this mob then McGregor should have an easy night.

He wins more in the air than Bocanegra from what I have seen and is also quicker.

In saying that it shouldn't matter who our defence is because if we go out and attack this mob then McGregor should have an easy night.

they have played 1 game each, how can you tell who's better? perry is only a young player coming through at murray park, Bocanegra is captain of his country played in france which is a better league than ours and, is more experienced. I would go with Bocanegra aswell.

they have played 1 game each, how can you tell who's better? perry is only a young player coming through at murray park, Bocanegra is captain of his country played in france which is a better league than ours and, is more experienced. I would go with Bocanegra aswell.

I didn't say who was better. I just pointed out what I've noticed from seeing them both play. Perry is quicker and better in the air.

This is me going on seeing Bocanegra play a few times and being quite small and also a lot older.

My honest opinion though is that this game won't be won or lost due to whether Perry or Bocanegra plays. The sensible option is obviously Bocanegra though.

This will be yet again won or lost by the midfield and the players picked to play there.

I'm torn on who I want to play so I can't imagine what Ally is thinking right now.

I'd probably go with Perry, but it is a gamble. Danny Wilson strolled Europe for us, but he was an exceptional talent at that age.

To be fair to Perry, though, he's not shown any sign of nerves or any particular weaknesses so far, he's looked reliable and solid.

:clap:

Gary how have I not noticed your intelligent posts until this week? :dry:

As for the comments about telling who is better, well the chances created when it was Goian and Carlos was so evident, looked lost at the back in Slovenia. Regularly seen Bocanegra play and stand by he is not solid enough at CB and his height could cause us problems.

They get buried amongst all the arguments on here :lol:

I too was not overly impressed by Bocanegra against Maribor but he covered well and cleared danger plenty of times. Not the best debut but a fairly decent one.

The lack of headers won by both Goian and Carlos against Maribor did worry me though.

I would retain Perry without hesitation. I honestly believe that Bocanegra is not a good centre back. I've watched him many times and I am not overly impressed.......hope he proves me wrong though!

One crucial factor is that Perry hasn't played in Europe or at this level before therefore in my eyes it makes sense for Bocanegra to start alongside Goian. Perry would though be on the bench as cover for either of them in case of an injury.

Broadfoot and McCulloch are now no longer required as deputies when Weir returns as that will be us with 4 centre halves which should be more than enough cover for the season.

One crucial factor is that Perry hasn't played in Europe or at this level before therefore in my eyes it makes sense for Bocanegra to start alongside Goian. Perry would though be on the bench as cover for either of them in case of an injury.

Broadfoot and McCulloch are now no longer required as deputies when Weir returns as that will be us with 4 centre halves which should be more than enough cover for the season.

To be fair mate the only way he is going to get european experience is by playing him, this team are not any better than Motherwell if we were playing any of the european top sides i would agree but i think Perry wil hold his own as did Wilson when he got his european debut.

and what is that ?

No manager is going to pick one of his youth players over an experienced international defender that he has just signed.....

To be fair mate the only way he is going to get european experience is by playing him, this team are not any better than Motherwell if we were playing any of the european top sides i would agree but i think Perry wil hold his own as did Wilson when he got his european debut.

Not in a winner takes all match though.

Perfect for blooding them in the group stages though assuming we make it of course.

At this level there will be at least 4 games against "easy" opposition and even if it is against better teams it is only the Europa League so a perfect time to see how they cope but not on Thursday. That's not to say they couldn't but if i was McCoist i would be looking for my big time experienced players to come in and handle the occasion without putting all pressure on the youngsters shoulders.

Ross Perry has trained with the Rangers since the start of the season. Bocanegra will join the squad on Wednesday, the day before he game. He also joined them the day before the game last week.

I'd say in view of the above, Perry has the most experience of playing for and with the Rangers.