Is their an unwritten hierarchy of Rangers supporters?

Canadaready

I know this issue has been danced around and joked about at different times on the board. I think it would be ok to have a look at it in a distinct thread.

For the most part, I would say that Rangers fans are a welcoming and open bunch BUT is it true that there are some amongst us who class fans based on their circumstances? In just thinking about it for a few minutes I have came up with the following structure

1) Scottish born - lives in Scotland

2) Scottish born - lives elsewhere

3) Non-Scottish born - lives elsewhere

This is just a rough idea of what I am talking about...do you think that there is anything to this idea?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there are also issues where they judge people on whether they attend the matches, i was a season ticket holder at ibrox for a number of years until circumstances have restricted me and i cannot attend the games anymore.

I dont think it makes me any less of a supporter as the fan who attends every home and away match.

I agree AB. There are plenty of RFC fans who think the longer you have been a supporter the better. Folk cannot help how old they are and I treat every rangers fan I meet with the same respect whether they go to matches or not. We are all bluenoses afterall.

I have actually found, worryingly, that there's almost an element that if your not sectarian your somehow a lesser fan - Not so much over here but I was at a Rangers bar on holiday watching a game and felt a bit like I wasnt joining in or a bit of an outcast because I was the only one not singing these sectarian songs, I dont feel like that at ibrox or anything Rangers related as it were but if im just with a few rangers fans quite often I get the feeling in refusing to sing sectarian songs im almost leaving out a part of being a fan. And as for the foreign thing, I dont think its a problem - I suppose you can measure how big a club is by how far a field there fans are and how many there are, so people like you CR are often the evidence I use in arguments with other clubs fans as to who's bigger

I've found if your not from Glasgow but other parts of Scotland there's also the tag of "Glory Hunter" added to you. When I tell some people I was born in Dundee they ask why I support Rangers and that I just support them coz they win all the time. The real reason I started supporting Rangers is because my dad supports them and I've lived most of my life in Australia anyway. If I had've grown up in Dundee then maybe things would've been different but I doubt it, I fell in love with the way the team played and the passion both the players and the fans had.

I just wish we could all be equal, no matter where we come from, or how we support the club. As long as we all love the team, we're all fans.

That said, we could do without the sectarian side.

I just wish we could all be equal, no matter where we come from, or how we support the club. As long as we all love the team, we're all fans.

I agree. I'm happy when I meet any Rangers supporters whether they're from Scotland or not whether they've been supporting Rangers their whole life or a few months I don't care it's another person to share my love our great club with.

Nice post sir (tu)

I've found if your not from Glasgow but other parts of Scotland there's also the tag of "Glory Hunter" added to you. When I tell some people I was born in Dundee they ask why I support Rangers and that I just support them coz they win all the time. The real reason I started supporting Rangers is because my dad supports them and I've lived most of my life in Australia anyway. If I had've grown up in Dundee then maybe things would've been different but I doubt it, I fell in love with the way the team played and the passion both the players and the fans had.

I totally agree, its almost as though bears who go abroad are seen as spreading the word as it were, us out of glasgow bears are constantly met with "glory hunter" and almost looked down apon even by our own fans, it seems as though geographical proximity to the team judges how much of a fan you are at times

Nice post sir (tu)

Much though some aspects of our fellow fans beliefs may irritate me and hold the club back neither we nor that east end mob would be as big without it.

What would the Fish talk about otherwise........... oh, yea, I forgot DM and his departure from Ibrox.

:Animation44:

Don't care who they are or where they're from - if they wear the Royal Blue and support the club, that's good enough for me. As for the sectarian element - don't condone it myself, but have had plenty of m8s that unfortunately see life that way. Guess I just try to look at the good qualities in them and give that side a body swerve if possible, or steer the conversation away from that if it comes up. There's good and bad in every person, so I try to look for and encourage the good.

rangers have always been one big family where no fan is any better than the other,and where everybody is welcome,and where you stay or how old you are does not make any you any different,because the end game is we all love the club.

rangers have always been one big family where no fan is any better than the other,and where everybody is welcome,and where you stay or how old you are does not make any you any different,because the end game is we all love the club.

Spot on. (tu)

Personally speaking I think the guyz who live far outside Glasgow for instance dont fully understand what it is to be a Rangers supporter..

Especially with the old principals the club had before Murray decided to do his thing for the clowns in high places

Personally speaking I think the guyz who live far outside Glasgow for instance dont fully understand what it is to be a Rangers supporter..

Especially with the old principals the club had before Murray decided to do his thing for the clowns in high places

Do you mean in ankara for instance?

Whoz from Ankara for instance

I think that's really more to do with the younger generation of supporters. They grew up with the 9-in-a-row and didn't have to face the hard times. But not being able to go to the games does put you at a disadvantage in regards to truly understanding like you say but it doesn't make myself or any of the other people who live in other countries far away from Scotland any less a supporter.

oh i am sure we can educate them fish.

Here it is guys,

1. we had a stadium that was in an ill state of repair

2. we had to listen to sceptic fans go on about 9 in a row

3. we were lucky to sell out a league game.

4. our training facilities were poor.

this is just things off the top of my head i can think have improved since murray has took over

Here it is guys,

this is just things off the top of my head i can think have improved since murray has took over

i dont want to argue with you but i think you will find that it was david holmes who started the revolution.

Whoz from Ankara for instance

let me rephrase the question. How far outside glasgow do you consider the boundary between knowng what a "true" rangers supporter is and not knowing.

I am from motherwell which is about 13 miles from glasgow, is that outwith your boundary?

So somebody who comes over from Northern Ireland every week, for example, doesn't really understand what it is to be a Rangers supporter?

Here it is guys,

i dont want to argue with you but i think you will find that it was david holmes who started the revolution.

werent we on the back foot when murray took over the club?

Here it is guys,

1. we had a stadium that was in an ill state of repair....Stadium was in place and completed late 70s early 80s and was probably the best stadium in the UK...before Murray arrived

2. we had to listen to sceptic fans go on about 9 in a row.....Won the league several times after their 9 in a row.... before Murray arrived

3. we were lucky to sell out a league game......Same as every other cluc in Scotland, whats your point

4. our training facilities were poor........Hee haw wrong with the Albion and our current one is a white elephant...non-functional