Youth setup

Can anyone clarify to me who are the people at Rangers responsible for scouting youngsters and bringing them in?

Also how long have they been at the club? I ask that as if it's simply a year then you can't simply wave a magic wand. However if it's 4/5 years then you could possibly judge them on the quality of player in the u19's etc?

I could accept downsizing to an extent for a year or two to help our financed if I thought there were some youngsters we could blood and it would be exciting to see them flourish. However I really am not aware of anyone on the fringes who would provide that excitement, Perry and Ness aside, and I was even thinking 17/18 year olds?

Did Celtic not recruit Park from Hibs youth setup to help identify talent?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever the scout is they must be blind because we're not getting any special players. We have the right facilities but if you have people like durrant running things the then you're not gonna get anywhere

Whoever the scout is they must be blind because we're not getting any special players. We have the right facilities but if you have people like durrant running things the then you're not gonna get anywhere

We should be able to attract special players from around Scotland if not the UK with our facilities and the potential for walking into our first team these days!

Perhaps if some of our young players got a chance they might be better than some of the other teams young lads. Bendiksson was a prime example got a few games looked really good then dropped and decided to leave

I agree in general that Walter and Ally haven't given youngsters much of a chance in the past. But sometimes it's good to blood them and then rest them ie not to put all the teams expectations on them.

Bendiksen left but if he really wanted to make it at Rangers he could have stayed I think. He had been injured for a long time and was gradually getting closer to the first team involvement. 6 weeks after beginning to get a chance, he's off. His choice.

I spoke to a guy recently who claimed his brother was involved in scouting/building player databases etc at Murray Park. He claimed his brother and others are told to scout based on physical attributes first.

If true it may explain the lack of guile through the ranks.

Murray Park is the worst part in the running of Rangers; and that is saying something. Make it an academy, have someone run it separately from first team. We are bringing players through the ranks, some of whom can't use a ball with that much skill. Appalling.

The U12's at half time today looked like they could actually use a ball properly! We must train it out of them!

Special players? We are in Scotland not Brazil. How many special players has the entire country produced in the last 5 years?

Just as well Croatia doesn't have that attitude: a country similar in size to Scotland. We have players who can't use a ball greatly. We had Fleck; who is a proper footballer: deemed good enough to start for Blackpool as they aim for promotion, and yet not deemed good enough to get in that team of ours.

Maybe if we got in real scouts instead of giving jobs to the boys such as Richard Gough and Neil Murray, who i bet have had no experience in scouting before getting jobs at Rangers.

If that's accurate that is a concern. Celtic seemed to target a renowned talent spotter from Hibs and we possibly give jobs to people with no track record in scouting?

Special players? We are in Scotland not Brazil. How many special players has the entire country produced in the last 5 years?

this is as 'special' as we get in this country

mcgeady

mcarthur

mccarthy

fleck

bannon

forrest

russell

hanley

cairney

rhodes

griffiths

goodwillie

ness

booth

allan

fyvie

jack

murphy

templeton

wilson

every single one of them bar one or two would walk into our team right now in their respective positions

only 3 from rangers one is aways injured 1 has been mismanaged and 1 sold on already

If that's accurate that is a concern. Celtic seemed to target a renowned talent spotter from Hibs and we possibly give jobs to people with no track record in scouting?

John Brown, for instance, should be nowhere near a coaching capacity at Rangers. His record at Clyde proved that. We should be utilising Murray Park to its potential.