What was your first ever Rangers top?

garycassidy1802

Be intersting to open that discusssion out again...especially given your initial post re the time scales not fitting re the internationalist theory.

My memory gets hazier with every passing day, but something is nagging at me that the names in that photograph are mixed up.

Sorry to confuse matters, but I seem to remember that the player in question was NOT PC.

Let me have a think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My memory gets hazier with every passing day, but something is nagging at me that the names in that photograph are mixed up.

Sorry to confuse matters, but I seem to remember that the player in question was NOT PC.

Let me have a think.

You are spot on CM. The Gallant Pioneers website has PC as the one to the right of centre and not as listed in that photo.

That's it mate. Vallance was a Scottish international in 1877, and the photo is from 1876-77.

Vallance is the player with the lion rampant badge.

14d3qms.jpg

Just answered my post up there mate :lol:

I'll tell u what, that Tom Vallance looks a right sophisticated chap

had that top with albertz's autograph on the back which my mum then stiched over so it was always there. quality top

I was the Rangers v Airdrie SC 92.

At the end of the match the players went around collecting scarfs and having a party , when they went back up the tunnel (I was sat right behind the dugout at the tunnel. I nabbed big Hateleys scarf and I thought he was going to kill me. I gave him it back and waited for the next man. McCoist with an old torn and tattered scarf, I kind of asked but still nabbed it at the same time. Went up the road and gave it to my we brother.

Happy days eh.

Just answered my post up there mate :lol:

I'll tell u what, that Tom Vallance looks a right sophisticated chap

Didn't see that there.

Old Tom might be sophisticated, but I can't make my mind up if Daddy Dunlop is a bit more so, or if he is just giving me vibes of being one ruthless bastard. :D

Didn't see that there.

Old Tom might be sophisticated, but I can't make my mind up if Daddy Dunlop is a bit more so, or if he is just giving me vibes of being one ruthless bastard. :D

Dunlop does look like he could break your leg then smoke a cigar straight after it

Who was the goalie?

extra_football_shirt_2224_1.jpg

This one

Love seeing the old pics, especially given one of the names on there :)

If that's yours, it must be an original from the club? The Umbro replicas at that time had horrible big collars like the Rubettes used to wear.

My first was the one in D'Art's post, got it in 1964.

Dunlop does look like he could break your leg then smoke a cigar straight after it

Who was the goalie?

The goalie in the picture is John Watt.

Interestingly, our left back in the photo, George Gillespie became our goalkeeper a couple of years later, and went on to play for Scotland there (even in a 6-1 win over England).

The goalie in the picture is John Watt.

Interestingly, our left back in the photo, George Gillespie became our goalkeeper a couple of years later, and went on to play for Scotland there (even in a 6-1 win over England).

So he was our very first Lee McCulloch ........ :sherlock:

On the subject of our first Captain, Tom Vallance, maybe some posters don't know this...

In the days before linesmen and assistant referees, the Captain of each team was nominated to assist the referee in officiating the match.

Rangers players revolted, and demanded that Vallance was relieved of this task, because he was "too fair" in every game they played.

It makes you kind of proud. :sherlock: