Fabio Silva

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I think his market value, and the profile of clubs looking at him, will be pretty similar to Tillman. Wolves will be hoping for more, because of the fee they paid, but I think they'll struggle to get it. On a permanent basis, that puts him out of our reach, but if we can actually implement an effective  'player trading model' and qualify for the CL 2-3 seasons running, I'm hopeful that we can start competing with clubs like PSV for players who sit in that £8M-£15M bracket, who could really take us to another level, but we're some way off that just now. 

We can't base anything on European qualifications, that would be stupid. 

We won't be able to compete with those clubs because of where we play. Buy low sell high is where we are and its how we will be for the foreseeable.

Spending a huge sum on 1 player isn't the way forward for us, we have far too many areas of our squad to upgrade for that to happen. We need to use what money we have wisely as we can't afford rebuilds every summer which is what we have been doing since Gio. It's not sustainable hence why our manager didn't have a penny to spend in January 

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Silva is a much better player than Sima in that position. You’re right between the two Sima would be more realistic financially, but to prefer we signed Sima seems silly

The only thing that is silly here is your comment. 

They are different types of players.

Silva is more technical. 

Sima is quick and athletic.

Good arguments could definitely be made for signing either player.

But to suggest preferring we sign Sima is "silly" is childishly silly.

1 hour ago, saintbob1969 said:

Regardless of what our loan players may or may not want, or get. Our manager is capable of finding more of the same. If we don’t keep Sima Clément will just go out and find another prospect. If we don’t keep Fabio then Clement will go find another and I have every confidence. I also think the defence and parts of the midfield are more likely to be his permanent target areas.

Can't really agree with that.  We have nobody at RW and seriously short at CF.

10 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

We can't base anything on European qualifications, that would be stupid. 

We won't be able to compete with those clubs because of where we play. Buy low sell high is where we are and its how we will be for the foreseeable.

Spending a huge sum on 1 player isn't the way forward for us, we have far too many areas of our squad to upgrade for that to happen. We need to use what money we have wisely as we can't afford rebuilds every summer which is what we have been doing since Gio. It's not sustainable hence why our manager didn't have a penny to spend in January 

Alright, but I said if we're able to qualify for the CL 2-3 seasons in a row, and have the player trading model running effectively, then we should start looking at players in that bracket. I think that's absolutely feasible. That's how you consolidate your position and build a competitive advantage in the SPL. That's how you keep the coefficient up and make CL qualification a reasonable expectation in our annual financial planning - instead of a crapshoot.

The financial realities of football are what they are, but we should aspire to being the best club in our 'category' (i.e., big club in a second-rate European league) and part of that is becoming a club that can be the place players go before they play at an elite level. 

Unless something major happens, we're always going to be a "buy low, sell high" club but "low" is relative, and effective commercial/football operations mean that bar can rise over time. Buying at £4M and selling for £8M is good, but I think we need to have the ambition to start buying for £8M and selling for £16M within the next 3-5 years. Not as a rule, of course, but adding 1 player of that quality every 1-2 seasons is a difference-maker. 

Saw a couple of stupid reports somewhere that we were planning to sign both for the region of around £30m - thats nonsense we don't have that kind of money, never mind the wages. The fact is, we need to be signing and bringing through players we can sell for decent sums of money. I mean, of course it would be great to sign Silva, but there is no scenario I can think of in the current reality where that is possible. More players in the realms of Cortes and Diomande, for sure that would be great and perhaps get a couple of loans of the quality of Silva/Sima. We may not like it, but thats where we are at because we play in a league that generates next to no money. What I'd want to see is players coming through our on system that we can then sell on, on a regular basis. 

I get the whole ‘will want to cash in on him’ side, but who’s paying anything like £35m for him? Be shocked if he goes for half of that, and even then that surely pushing the top end of the scale. 

We also wanted to ‘cash in’ on Kent, Morelos, etc and they left for peanuts. 

Just now, rangersross said:

Alright, but I said if we're able to qualify for the CL 2-3 seasons in a row, and have the player trading model running effectively, then we should start looking at players in that bracket. I think that's absolutely feasible. That's how you consolidate your position and build a competitive advantage in the SPL. That's how you keep the coefficient up and make CL qualification a reasonable expectation in our annual financial planning - instead of a crapshoot.

The financial realities of football are what they are, but we should aspire to being the best club in our 'category' (i.e., big club in a second-rate European league) and part of that is becoming a club that can be the place players go before they play at an elite level. 

Unless something major happens, we're always going to be a "buy low, sell high" club but "low" is relative, and effective commercial/football operations mean that bar can rise over time. Buying at £4M and selling for £8M is good, but I think we need to have the ambition to start buying for £8M and selling for £16M within the next 3-5 years. Not as a rule, of course, but adding 1 player of that quality every 1-2 seasons is a difference-maker. 

We have been running on soft loans and losses for a while now and the Europa final run helped not make that as bad as it would have been. Our wage outlay is massive and that needs addressed.

We absolutely won't be chucking 10 odd million at players like the clubs you mentioned do and rightly so. We need to box clever and play the market right.

You can't say buy for 8 and sell for 16 because that's just fantasy stuff and very rarely does it happen.  It's not football manager. We buy high potential at the lowest price like Bassey, Diomande and such. If they go for big money that's a bonus down the line. 

What we can't be doing is buying the Kents for 7 million and losing for nothing. That's the kind of nonsense that's got our squad in the mess it was in before a proper manager has managed to squeeze every ounce of effort and talent out of it.

Just now, The Godfather said:

We have been running on soft loans and losses for a while now and the Europa final run helped not make that as bad as it would have been. Our wage outlay is massive and that needs addressed.

We absolutely won't be chucking 10 odd million at players like the clubs you mentioned do and rightly so. We need to box clever and play the market right.

You can't say buy for 8 and sell for 16 because that's just fantasy stuff and very rarely does it happen.  It's not football manager. We buy high potential at the lowest price like Bassey, Diomande and such. If they go for big money that's a bonus down the line. 

What we can't be doing is buying the Kents for 7 million and losing for nothing. That's the kind of nonsense that's got our squad in the mess it was in before a proper manager has managed to squeeze every ounce of effort and talent out of it.

You can if your £7m buys you an excellent player who helps win the league and qualify for the CL every year. 

5 minutes ago, rangersross said:

I mean what you say isn't wrong, its just that we're a fair bit away from that at the moment. Not sure it's about ambition but realistic finances we need to build up to be able to achieve that model. I don't personally see we are anywhere near there yet. But perhaps one day. Hopefully soon.

5 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Totally reasonable, and this would be helped enormously if, instead of having to buy "squad" players, we could bring through some youth players good enough to step in during an injury crisis.  Look at Liverpool atm

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

You can if your £7m buys you an excellent player who helps win the league and qualify for the CL every year. 

No guarantee and that's fine if your squads in the place where you only need 1 or 2 quality additions. We are not in that place, not near it. We need to replace 6 or 7 in the summer again and each one needs to be of a decent standard. Won't be chucking 8 million at a single player, not a chance.

Just now, The Godfather said:

No guarantee and that's fine if your squads in the place where you only need 1 or 2 quality additions. We are not in that place, not near it.

Will hopefully be soon. 

1 hour ago, rangersross said:

It's definitely possible he's sold but, if you take the clubs he's been on loan at as an indicator of his current level, I think there's going to be a large gap between Wolves' valuation and the incoming bids (PSV, RSC, and ourselves have never spent >£13M on a player). If Wolves cash-in this summer, they're going to be eating a big loss, but if they loan him out again, there's a chance he impresses and pushes that value back up. If it was me, I'd say that gamble is worth the risk of 12-months' contract devaluation as his deal runs down. 

If he does go out on loan again, it's totally possible they want him to go to a higher level, but he's not been a nailed-on starter in the Eredivisie or the SPL, so there's also a balancing act for Wolves. if he goes up a level, will he play enough to develop / impress? 

All things considered, I'd say him going out on loan again - and even coming back here (if we're in the CL) - isn't all that outlandish a possibility. 

I’d say he’s a nailed on starter for Rangers now.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Will hopefully be soon. 

A season or 2 down the line with Clement you would hope so but we really need him to get the squad he deserves after his showing so far. That will cost a significant sum over a half a dozen players.

We need the league win for the CL money for the above to happen though and that's the toss of a coin just now with our injuries. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Will hopefully be soon. 

Probably realistically, 2 to 3 more years of trading as we look to be doing now. IF, and its a big if, the likes of Cortes & Diomande keep doing well, if someone takes a liking to say Mcausland and/or another youth we magically bring through, then rinse repeat and hopefully we can bring in better players. Can always hope I guess.

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Why? I’ve no idea why people think wolves would want to keep loaning a player out that they could sell on just because our fanbase likes him :lol:

Would you want the likes of Lammers just loaned out again to Utrecht even if another club offered close to what we paid for him?

Can’t remember the name of the club ,But there’s another Dutch club wanting to sign Lammers on the strength of his recent form .Story mentioned that Utrecht may struggle to cover the fee .

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Okay, but you keep ignoring that I've said we should only increase our ceiling for transfers if we've qualified for the CL 2-3 seasons in a row, and started to see the fruits of the player trading model. In other words, if our financial situation changes substantively, I'm hopeful our ambitions develop too. 

Buying for £8M and selling for £16M is obviously an extreme example, but - for the £7M loss we took on Kent - we've lost a hell of a lot more buying multiple, net-loss duds for £1-3M. I also wouldn't expect the current administration to manage something like Kent's contract in such an idiotic way. 

I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest that 2-3 years of consist success under Clement (and the associated income) would/should open the door to us pushing the boat out on a £10-11M player.

4 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

A season or 2 down the line with Clement you would hope so but we really need him to get the squad he deserves after his showing so far. That will cost a significant sum over a half a dozen players.

We need the league win for the CL money for the above to happen though and that's the toss of a coin just now with our injuries. 

When you look at who he signed and tried to sign over the winter window he looks to be looking for players at the 20/21 age group .As has been mentioned before 23 seems to be optimum age for a sell on .Get more guys in around this 20/21 age and your less likely to take a hit on transfer fee .The ones that do push on would make large profits .Not all will be a success.But even a 50pc strike rate would give us decent profit and more importantly a right good player for a couple of seasons .

3 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Okay, but you keep ignoring that I've said we should only increase our ceiling for transfers if we've qualified for the CL 2-3 seasons in a row, and started to see the fruits of the player trading model. In other words, if our financial situation changes substantively, I'm hopeful our ambitions develop too. 

Buying for £8M and selling for £16M is obviously an extreme example, but - for the £7M loss we took on Kent - we've lost a hell of a lot more buying multiple, net-loss duds for £1-3M. I also wouldn't expect the current administration to manage something like Kent's contract in such an idiotic way. 

I don't think it's unrealistic to suggest that 2-3 years of consist success under Clement (and the associated income) would/should open the door to us pushing the boat out on a £10-11M player.

You can't base it on saying if we qualify for the CL for x amount of years as there is no guarantee of that.

It's pointless discussing that part. 

7 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

You can't base it on saying if we qualify for the CL for x amount of years as there is no guarantee of that.

It's pointless discussing that part. 

Why not? There are a lot of variables, what's wrong with saying 'if X happens, I hope we do Y'. It's like saying '"if we win the league this season, we should buy Shankland" or "if Sima's back early we should try this formation". There's no guarantee of any of it but we're discussing possible outcomes. 

Edit: definitely not trying to open up the Shankland conversation again. Just an example.