Bill Ng is leaving few stones unturned in trying to win the bid for Rangers

Almost 40 years ago, a Singaporean boy watched on television as Scottish football club Rangers conquered Europe for the first time by lifting the European Cupwinners’ Cup.

A love affair was born.

Today, Bill Ng hopes to take his childhood fascination to a different level by buying the famous but now bankrupt club for £20mil (RM97mil).

Despite his five-man Singapore consortium facing rival American and Scottish bids, the 52-year-old has started to dream of having tea with a Rangers legend.

“I’m already thinking about the day I can sit down with Ally McCoist and the staff to discuss new signings,” he told The Sunday Times yesterday.

The 49-year-old McCoist, the current manager of the side, is the club’s record goalscorer.

But this is no vanity project for private equity firm director Ng, whose wealth has been estimated at between US$55mil and US$65mil (RM168mil and RM198bil), according to Wealth-X, which compiles information on the world’s rich.

He may be driven to put Singapore on the world football map with the purchase of the ailing Scottish giants, but privately, he prefers to stay under the radar.

The Singapore bid for Rangers was reported last month, but it was only last week that Ng was revealed as the man behind it.

“My mentors taught me how to shut up, don’t show off and never blow hot air,” said the former stockbroker at RHB and United Overseas Bank, who declined to provide details about his family, saying only that his son and daughter are currently pursuing university degrees.

Friends say he favours a modest Japanese-made car on most days, despite owning luxury cars.

Ng added: “I’m from the old school of thinking where you don’t conduct your business in public.”

But his passion for football is impossible to hide.

Two years ago, he dived into the sport by taking over struggling S-League outfit Hougang United.

Former Hougang coach Aide Iskandar recalled how Ng would call him in the middle of the night to discuss tactics.

The ex-national captain said: “How many chairmen take the effort to study opponents? But he always gave me the final say on team selection. I really miss talking to him.”

Ng is leaving few stones unturned in trying to win the bid for Rangers.

After returning on Friday from another meeting with the club’s administrators in London, he took off for Malaysia yesterday, looking for advice from officials of the Berjaya Group, which owns Welsh club Cardiff City, on how to run a European club.

“We want to show that we’re not just the type of owners who go in with no understanding and are in it just for the money,” said Ng. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/4/9/asia/11071210&sec=asia

Some new info in this latest interview, seems like he's a hands on owner determined to make this investment in our club work. Also encouraging he's looking for advice and willing to learn how to run a European club.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new info in this latest interview, seems like he's a hands on owner determined to make this investment in our club work. Also encouraging he's looking for advice and willing to learn how to run a European club.

The singapore bid is my preference but this smells of shite

Almost 40 years ago, a Singaporean boy watched on television as Scottish football club Rangers conquered Europe for the first time by lifting the European Cupwinners’ Cup.

The singapore bid is my preference but this smells of shite

Could be true, who know's. But like yourself I have my doubts about him watching us as a boy. Everything else seems encouraging though.

sounds to me like he's read the recent interviews of McCoist & Bill Miller sounding all cosey and wanting to have a meeting, and is throwing in his own positive PR.

when it comes to TBK, Bill Ng & Nill Miller, the most important aspect to me is, simply; which has the most wealth they are willing to invest?

we need someone who can offer, what i understand from the media to be a figure of around 40ish million for a CVA. Im sure if that figurew as to clear our debt we'd be an attractive prospect, but again, we're going to need more money after that. We need to more or less offer new contracts to all the players - they wont be hanging around for another season on 25% of what they were gettign before when they have financial commitments such as mortgages, based upon what their contracts were before.

on top of this, we need to add to the squad to win the league and have any prospect of qualifying for the CL group stages in the next 3-4 years.

It's the sort of story you usually hear from the filth but it was one of the first things he said in his first interview.

I don't know what to make of it either

Could be true, who know's. But like yourself I have my doubts about him watching us as a boy. Everything else seems encouraging though.

He must have some wealthy members in this consortium because there is not a chance he's going to spend 20 million plus of his own money to buy the club , that's more than a 3rd of his personal wealth he might never get back

He must have some wealthy members in this consortium because there is not a chance he's going to spend 20 million plus of his own money to buy the club , that's more than a 3rd of his personal wealth he might never get back

I thought they had bid £12m?