Massive cash blow for SPL as they lose £17m in new TV deal

hellfirejet

so much for sky pulling out cause the gers are not in the spl,bastards

here s how the talks would have went

sky;right the mighty glasgow rangers are not in the league anymore we are pulling the plug no deal

lawwell;right we will play the anti catholic card and scream to the media

sky;how much do you want?no problem

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So they're down £5.2m a season from TV money alone.

Add in say 2 matches with 7,500 at £30 a ticket that's £450,000. Programmes, pies and Bovrils may bring that up to over £0.5m.

You're looking at clubs losing almost a million a season.

The SPL may not see out the season, let alone the clubs within it.

Three other things i've spotted. Hibs season ticket sales dropped by 2500. Aberdeen have been given an increased ticket allocation for the piggery suggesting ticket sales are not going well. Aberdeen have sold 6000 season tickets but this includes free season tickets handed to kids for free in a special deal. Other thing that has to be factored in is that there will be more TV matches involving diddy teams only putting further pressure on attendances.

We have lost out of this as well...if these arseholes sign anymore long term deals as they are currently desperate for cash it's going to screw us for years to come.

This is what happens when a league lets hate filled fans dictate policy

A good point.

So they're down £5.2m a season from TV money alone.

Add in say 2 matches with 7,500 at £30 a ticket that's £450,000. Programmes, pies and Bovrils may bring that up to over £0.5m.

You're looking at clubs losing almost a million a season.

When you say down £5.2 million do you mean the new deal that was on offer before we went to SFL worth £80 million over 5 years or the existing deal has been slashed by £5.2 million a season? Any word on what ESPN are paying to the SPL to show OUR games (ridiculous as it sounds).

All this stuff about the spl insisting on a long term deal is nonsense...sky saw a chance and took it...paying a whole league what they pay an epl club for two years to cover football for 5 years....wow great deal Lawell and Doncaster

Its utter madness Sky must be pissing themselves at how stupid and short term Liewell and his spl cohorts thinking is.

The SPL clubs will just have to re-structure, play young players etc, may have to lose some players, but I think lots of clubs going bust is highly unlikely. Celtic will be the ones that will struggle out of this, they are already really well down on sales of season tickets without us, and it will be interesting to see how panic sets in when Helsinki torpedo them out of the CL qualifying, and that massive cash cow disappears. Given how poor the other scottish clubs have been in europe the co-efficient could be dire by the time we get back to the SPL. But they voted for it, they chose to put the demi-god of sporting integrity before the financial survival of their own clubs, listening to those clamouring fans, who are now not buying season tickets.

Whereas we will rebuild, should run at a nice healthy profit over the next few years due to a much cropped wage budget, and will come back even stronger, run fiscally responsibly.

Reminds me of the Setanta debacle!

GCL makes a good point as if these chunts sign these deals long term then we get our pockets felt too when we get back in the top flight.

You really have to wonder why these idiots were left to make these decisions which has basically put the nail in the coffin for top flight Scottish football, absolute idiots who will no doubt blame Rangers for the lack of money in the game yet it was these people who killed Scottish football.

The SPL clubs will just have to re-structure, play young players etc, may have to lose some players, but I think lots of clubs going bust is highly unlikely. Celtic will be the ones that will struggle out of this, they are already really well down on sales of season tickets without us, and it will be interesting to see how panic sets in when Helsinki torpedo them out of the CL qualifying, and that massive cash cow disappears. Given how poor the other scottish clubs have been in europe the co-efficient could be dire by the time we get back to the SPL. But they voted for it, they chose to put the demi-god of sporting integrity before the financial survival of their own clubs, listening to those clamouring fans, who are now not buying season tickets.

Whereas we will rebuild, should run at a nice healthy profit over the next few years due to a much cropped wage budget, and will come back even stronger, run fiscally responsibly.

Good points. Celtics next three years could be decided in the next month.Bad results in Europe coupled with poor attendances will force them to sell players,next year they will have a weaker team and then the same again the following year.Are they stupid enough to allow it to happen? They were stupid enough to vote for it?And talk of restructuring should be resisted by Rangers, the transfer embargo prevents us from competing in the top flight. I think an SPL 2 next year is most likely, get Rangers back in the top flight a year earlier.

Fingers crossed.

The SPL is already a car-crash - there never has been much interest in one horse races - but it will become sharply entertaining if we witness some of their clubs hitting the rocks.

I'm assuming Celtic may get an uneven proportion of the TV money in the SPL, which for the other teams is very bad news given the reduced nature of the deal, coupled of course with loss of revenue from Rangers games and possibly even Celtic matches once they realise the league is being won at a canter

The way I read that is the SFL are £3 million a year better off

How much will we get of that?

They are not.

For the first three years they get £3M - they get £2M each season (which rises with inflation) guaranteed anyway. This money comes out of the commercial pot before even the SPL clubs get a look at the money. So for the first three years they are only £1M better off. Evenly split that's £33,000 roughly each - but it will be weighted in favour of clubs in higher division. For the final two years they get £2M - which they were guaranteed anyway so no better off.

For the SPL clubs they are £3M worse off at the moment. The current deal was on either £13M or £13.5M. Rangers and Celtic took the bulk of that anyway for being first and second. £10M will now be divided amongst Celtic and 11 diddy clubs (52% divided equally, 48% dependant on league position). Celtic financially will be worse off but they can to an extent bear that hit - one of the diddy clubs is going to be better off and the other won't be too financially hit. I think the bastards are going to get away with it. I don't see Armageddon. Maybe with Celtic if they lose enough season tickets and nobody can be arsed going to see them after they've won the league in December it will be bad.

The way I read that is the SFL are £3 million a year better off

How much will we get of that?

1/30th i believe wheile we are in SFL3, then i think it's slightly more with prize money added, overall i think we are looking at around 100K total from that!!

They are not.

For the first three years they get £3M - they get £2M each season (which rises with inflation) guaranteed anyway. This money comes out of the commercial pot before even the SPL clubs get a look at the money. So for the first three years they are only £1M better off. Evenly split that's £33,000 roughly each - but it will be weighted in favour of clubs in higher division. For the final two years they get £2M - which they were guaranteed anyway so no better off.

For the SPL clubs they are £3M worse off at the moment. The current deal was on either £13M or £13.5M. Rangers and Celtic took the bulk of that anyway for being first and second. £10M will now be divided amongst Celtic and 11 diddy clubs (52% divided equally, 48% dependant on league position). Celtic financially will be worse off but they can to an extent bear that hit - one of the diddy clubs is going to be better off and the other won't be too financially hit. I think the bastards are going to get away with it. I don't see Armageddon. Maybe with Celtic if they lose enough season tickets and nobody can be arsed going to see them after they've won the league in December it will be bad.

A timmy mate told me this morning that porkheed was almost sold out for their game tonight, with 44K of the tickets sold being accounted for by ST's??

Here's how I think it will affect the clubs - not enough to send any into admin.

vzudg.jpg

I'm assuming your figures are for entry money and placings money.

You have to factor in the away support too.

All will be down, half of them by nearly £0.25m & the other half nearly £0.5m.

I'm assuming your figures are for entry money and placings money.

You have to factor in the away support too.

All will be down, half of them by nearly £0.25m & the other half nearly £0.5m.

The figures are based on the tv money alone. These figures are easy to calculate. Next to impossible to calculate gate figures.

Cancel your sky now and watch on line .

Choke them out I cancelled months ago when we went in ti admin.

Lets help kill the spl.

sorry to repeat myself but........

Sky have over 10 million subscribers UK wide. If a mere million are Scottish subscribers and of that, 250,000 are sky sports subscribers that equates to £60 million a year in sports subscriptions alone. They currently pay about £13 million a year for the television rights.

If 50,000 supporters stopped paying the monthly subscription for Sky sports that would wipe £12 million a year off but there is no chance that many will give up EPL, Golf etc.

Just don't watch SPL games, Sky will see a significant drop in viewing figures and will have to charge less for selling advertising space (it seems they work to an equation when selling advertising http://www.skymedia.co.uk/Advertising/New-to-Advertising/faqs.aspx).

I'm guessing at how many Scottish Sports subscribers there are it could be more, we are supposedly a football mad country. I wish Sky would release the data so we can stop guessing and see what impact we could have as a support.

Short answer, I don't think cancelling Sky sports will make any difference.