David Longmuir of the SFL

JCDBigBear

What an excellent statement from Mr Longmuir of the SFL. The only person in Scottish football (outwith RFC) to actually talk sense.

DAVID LONGMUIR believes Rangers will bring more vitality to the Irn Bru Third Division as they prepare to make their league debut this weekend at Peterhead.

The match at tiny Balmoor Stadium is a complete sell-out with almost 4,500 fans set to take in the game.

It’s a scene which is set to be replicated at lower league grounds across the country as fans clamour to get into small stadia to see the Light Blues setting out on their new adventure.

SFL president Longmuir doesn’t believe Gers should have been moved into the bottom tier of senior Scottish football but accepts that’s where they now are.

And he feels the decision to put the Ibrox team there is one which can still have a positive impact on the game as a whole.

Speaking exclusively on RangersTV tonight, Longmuir said: “I think having Rangers in the league now will create awareness and will bring a new vitality to the Third Division.

“I know it’s probably not the place that Rangers want to be and probably shouldn’t be but nevertheless, that’s the way Scottish football has handled this situation.

“Having been at Glebe Park last Sunday to see the Ramsdens Cup tie, I thought Brechin put up a great show and Rangers were a wee bit rusty.

“But it was more to do with the buzz and excitement that having Rangers in town brought and I hope Rangers fans will be welcomed like that wherever they go in the SFL.

“All 10 clubs in the Third Division will benefit from having Rangers there. Attendances will be terrific, albeit only on a couple of occasions each season at each ground.

“The talent you’ve got in the Rangers squad will surely motivate some of the other young stars elsewhere.

“They’ll say: ‘That’s the level I need to be playing at to get to one of the biggest clubs in Europe and the world’ and that’s great.

“Young Rangers players will also benefit from playing against seasoned pros and there are lots of plusses for the club and others over the next season or two.

“The Rangers squad will improve but they won’t have it all their own way. There will be tough challenges on the field of play but they’ll be warmly welcomed wherever they go.

“Scottish football is a community-based sport and we forget that sometimes. The pursuit of finances has maybe clouded our judgement a bit there.

“There will be a bit of finding their feet to be done at Rangers and they’ll have to get back to basics for a while but we’ll all benefit in the long run.”

What an excellent statement from Mr Longmuir of the SFL. The only person in Scottish football (outwith RFC) to actually talk sense.

DAVID LONGMUIR believes Rangers will bring more vitality to the Irn Bru Third Division as they prepare to make their league debut this weekend at Peterhead.

The match at tiny Balmoor Stadium is a complete sell-out with almost 4,500 fans set to take in the game.

It’s a scene which is set to be replicated at lower league grounds across the country as fans clamour to get into small stadia to see the Light Blues setting out on their new adventure.

SFL president Longmuir doesn’t believe Gers should have been moved into the bottom tier of senior Scottish football but accepts that’s where they now are.

And he feels the decision to put the Ibrox team there is one which can still have a positive impact on the game as a whole.

Speaking exclusively on RangersTV tonight, Longmuir said: “I think having Rangers in the league now will create awareness and will bring a new vitality to the Third Division.

“I know it’s probably not the place that Rangers want to be and probably shouldn’t be but nevertheless, that’s the way Scottish football has handled this situation.

“Having been at Glebe Park last Sunday to see the Ramsdens Cup tie, I thought Brechin put up a great show and Rangers were a wee bit rusty.

“But it was more to do with the buzz and excitement that having Rangers in town brought and I hope Rangers fans will be welcomed like that wherever they go in the SFL.

“All 10 clubs in the Third Division will benefit from having Rangers there. Attendances will be terrific, albeit only on a couple of occasions each season at each ground.

“The talent you’ve got in the Rangers squad will surely motivate some of the other young stars elsewhere.

“They’ll say: ‘That’s the level I need to be playing at to get to one of the biggest clubs in Europe and the world’ and that’s great.

“Young Rangers players will also benefit from playing against seasoned pros and there are lots of plusses for the club and others over the next season or two.

“The Rangers squad will improve but they won’t have it all their own way. There will be tough challenges on the field of play but they’ll be warmly welcomed wherever they go.

“Scottish football is a community-based sport and we forget that sometimes. The pursuit of finances has maybe clouded our judgement a bit there.

“There will be a bit of finding their feet to be done at Rangers and they’ll have to get back to basics for a while but we’ll all benefit in the long run.”

Longmuir seems a sensible Football Man something sadly lacking in the SPL/SFA.

DAVID LONGMUIR comes across as a man that is both fair and truthful,unlike the other tossers that run the SFA & SPL,the SFL I believe is a far better model that the whole of Scottish football should follow,then maybe we would see a vast improvement in Scottish football,I would vote for David Longmuir to have a higher position of authority in the SFA,then we would really see some integrity in Scotland. :sherlock:

I don't know what team Mr Longmuir supports and I don't really care because he has shown himself to be very fair-minded and pragmatic in the whole fiasco. He stands "head and shoulders" above the the rest of those involved at the SFA and SPL.

Seconded !!

He's a man who loves football first and has shown the ability to see the big picture without a hint of bias.

I used to think the SFA and SPL management were just incompetent and scoffed at the iodea they were biased, but recent events have proved me well wrong.

Longmuir and men like him are what we need running scottish football.

He must surely be in the running when xmas comes to the turkeys. ?

Stand out quote for me regarding the Club:

They’ll say: ‘That’s the level I need to be playing at to get to one of the biggest clubs in Europe and the world’ and that’s great.

We know who he's talking about here, thanks David. smiley-gen014.gifsmiley-gen014.gifsmiley-gen014.gif

I wonder how many others in Scottish football would admit we are Scotland's biggest Club, which goes without saying, along with being one of the biggest Clubs in Europe and the world?

As the SFA, SPL and SFL offices are all within close proximity, you can't help but imagine the creaky, cobweb-filled offices of Regan and Doncaster, all washed out and grey. Sitting at their stale-smelling desks, holding their antique phones in their hands, a tear running down their faces, in the hope that someone, just someone, will phone them for a chat about, well, anything.

Two doors down the corridor, and it's Disco Inferno in Longmuir's office. Chicks sitting on his lap, 'proper' supporters queueing on the phone in the hope of congratulating a man who clearly has his finger on the pulse, who clearly knows our game is corrupt with bigots who tried to drive the nails into our coffin.

He is the only man of reason at Hampdump, and I sincerely wish he was running the full show.

Bravo Longmuir, bravo.

...............and all of the above is exactly why he never will run the show in Scotland.

What a fuckin' backward, navel gazing shower of wanks we have in this country. The more I see, the less I believe in this country.

Not entirely linked, but it all fits in with the wanks around us. I watched the Olympics in a pub on Saturday night when we were winning everything. Place was jumping, everybody happy. When the national anthem came on for one of our medallists this waste of a skin complained that he was a republican and shouldn't have to listen to this. Me and my mate just had to stand up and clap.

Don't ya just feel sorry for these folk :wanker: