Rhys McCabe Explains Why He Quit

Tiebreak54

Rhys McCabe recently unpacked his belongings in a new flat near Sheffield Wednesday's training ground, and there is still some furniture to be bought. Yesterday afternoon was spent buying a suit for matchdays, although he first had to check what colour would be most suitable. The chores are mundane, but they bring a welcome bustle to a life that had become marked by anxiety.

For several weeks during the summer, McCabe trained with his friends and their local team in West Calder. To make sure that they understood he was not messing around, he wore his heart monitor and worked at the same intensity as he would have done at Murray Park with Rangers. There was an element of therapy in the physical work, particularly the six or seven-mile runs at 11 o'clock at night to clear his head.

Having taken the decision to object to his contract being transferred over from Rangers Football Club plc to Sevco, the company set up by Charles Green's consortium when it bought the business and assets of the club and was waiting for permission to change its name to The Rangers Football Club, McCabe was effectively a free agent. At 19, the circumstances were deeply unsettling and his parents noticed that his mood was more sombre than usual.

There ought to have been a period of satisfaction, but breaking into the starting line-up and controlling the midfield in games against the likes of Hearts and Celtic coincided with Rangers being in administration. The squad agreed to take pay cuts so that non-playing staff would not lose their jobs, with McCabe and the other youngsters losing 25% of their wages. He made do by sharing petrol costs with his friend and team-mate, Darren Cole.

Even then, he did not envision a sudden break in his relationship with Rangers, where he had played since he was nine. There was no dialogue from anybody at the club during the summer, however, until a letter arrived one week before pre-season training began informing him that if he accepted his next pay packet, and returned to work at Murray Park, that would constitute agreeing to the transfer of his contract. Under employment law, all Rangers staff had the opportunity to object, and depart, which McCabe took because he felt he was being railroaded into a decision he wasn't clear about. There were too many uncertainties.

"I never wanted to leave," he says. "[Rangers] were waiting on the SFA getting back to them and votes being held. Would it be first division, second division, third division, having a team at all? So we thought we'd wait to see what would happen. I'm still a Rangers fan, I still check on the results every week. We were here [at Hillsborough] doing a charity day when Rangers played Brechin and I went into one of the boxes to watch the game on television. It all happened too quickly and there was a lack of communication, so I had to make a decision."

Had somebody from the club met with the player, outlined what might happen and discussed his options, he could have considered a different choice. Unlike other players who left, he had no release clause and his contract ran to 2015.

No footballer in Scotland is oblivious to the hold the game has on supporters. McCabe understands that fans were frustrated, and he is only speaking about his decision now, for the first time, to recall it from his perspective. While the likes of Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker and Jamie Ness were signing for new clubs, McCabe and his advisors had yet to speak to any teams and he was training with his school friends, waiting for developments at Ibrox.

"I was doing my off-season programme," he says. "And every day I was checking the news. We thought about if the club was in the first division, that would be more appearances, getting noticed. In the third division, it's three or four years and I'm 20 now. What if I have an injury? It could be 26 before I played in the top flight again. It was better to play at a higher standard, so I had to make a decision for myself."

McCabe believes he owes a debt of gratitude to the coaching and playing staff who helped him at Rangers, in particular Bobby Russell and Alan Kernaghan, who worked with him at a critical age. His family intend to show their gratitude to all the individuals who influenced his career. His father, Kevin, is an outgoing, unabashed personality, while Rhys is more contained. There is a quiet self-assurance that suggests he also possesses a single-minded purpose.

After being granted full clearance to play for Sheffield Wednesday last Friday, he hoped just to make the squad for the opening game of the season against Derby County. Yet McCabe played all 90 minutes and was widely considered to be the best player on the pitch in a 2-2 draw. He might have joined Everton, but was more comfortable with the surroundings, and the opportunities, at Hillsborough,

"Going to a club wasn't about how big they were," he says. "It was the fact they showed an interest in me. Having played for Rangers, it would mess with your head to go to a Premier League side in England and not be playing."

There has been much to rationalise in recent months, but McCabe will always value the nine games he played for his team. A career awaits, but he would never rule returning to Ibrox. "I'll keep supporting them," he says. "Maybe one day I'll get to go back."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/rhys-mccabe-might-have-left-rangers-but-they-have-not-left-him.18643107

Why. :anguish:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly wee boy. Chances are your NEW team will struggle this season, your NEW team will struggle next season and your NEW team will struggle the season after that. Meanwhile back up the road at your OLD team, we on the other hand have flourished season after season and will soon be playing in the champions league again. This is credit to everyone WHO stuck by us during the HARD times and kept playing for the cause when the chips were down. Credit to yourselves, your families, profession and the mighty GERS! So mr whatsyournameagain, we'll no be requiring your services in the famous blue jersey again!!!! No surrender! :uk: :uk:

Rhys McCabe recently unpacked his belongings in a new flat near Sheffield Wednesday's training ground, and there is still some furniture to be bought. Yesterday afternoon was spent buying a suit for matchdays, although he first had to check what colour would be most suitable. The chores are mundane, but they bring a welcome bustle to a life that had become marked by anxiety.

For several weeks during the summer, McCabe trained with his friends and their local team in West Calder. To make sure that they understood he was not messing around, he wore his heart monitor and worked at the same intensity as he would have done at Murray Park with Rangers. There was an element of therapy in the physical work, particularly the six or seven-mile runs at 11 o'clock at night to clear his head.

Having taken the decision to object to his contract being transferred over from Rangers Football Club plc to Sevco, the company set up by Charles Green's consortium when it bought the business and assets of the club and was waiting for permission to change its name to The Rangers Football Club, McCabe was effectively a free agent. At 19, the circumstances were deeply unsettling and his parents noticed that his mood was more sombre than usual.

There ought to have been a period of satisfaction, but breaking into the starting line-up and controlling the midfield in games against the likes of Hearts and Celtic coincided with Rangers being in administration. The squad agreed to take pay cuts so that non-playing staff would not lose their jobs, with McCabe and the other youngsters losing 25% of their wages. He made do by sharing petrol costs with his friend and team-mate, Darren Cole.

Even then, he did not envision a sudden break in his relationship with Rangers, where he had played since he was nine. There was no dialogue from anybody at the club during the summer, however, until a letter arrived one week before pre-season training began informing him that if he accepted his next pay packet, and returned to work at Murray Park, that would constitute agreeing to the transfer of his contract. Under employment law, all Rangers staff had the opportunity to object, and depart, which McCabe took because he felt he was being railroaded into a decision he wasn't clear about. There were too many uncertainties.

"I never wanted to leave," he says. "[Rangers] were waiting on the SFA getting back to them and votes being held. Would it be first division, second division, third division, having a team at all? So we thought we'd wait to see what would happen. I'm still a Rangers fan, I still check on the results every week. We were here [at Hillsborough] doing a charity day when Rangers played Brechin and I went into one of the boxes to watch the game on television. It all happened too quickly and there was a lack of communication, so I had to make a decision."

Had somebody from the club met with the player, outlined what might happen and discussed his options, he could have considered a different choice. Unlike other players who left, he had no release clause and his contract ran to 2015.

No footballer in Scotland is oblivious to the hold the game has on supporters. McCabe understands that fans were frustrated, and he is only speaking about his decision now, for the first time, to recall it from his perspective. While the likes of Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker and Jamie Ness were signing for new clubs, McCabe and his advisors had yet to speak to any teams and he was training with his school friends, waiting for developments at Ibrox.

"I was doing my off-season programme," he says. "And every day I was checking the news. We thought about if the club was in the first division, that would be more appearances, getting noticed. In the third division, it's three or four years and I'm 20 now. What if I have an injury? It could be 26 before I played in the top flight again. It was better to play at a higher standard, so I had to make a decision for myself."

McCabe believes he owes a debt of gratitude to the coaching and playing staff who helped him at Rangers, in particular Bobby Russell and Alan Kernaghan, who worked with him at a critical age. His family intend to show their gratitude to all the individuals who influenced his career. His father, Kevin, is an outgoing, unabashed personality, while Rhys is more contained. There is a quiet self-assurance that suggests he also possesses a single-minded purpose.

After being granted full clearance to play for Sheffield Wednesday last Friday, he hoped just to make the squad for the opening game of the season against Derby County. Yet McCabe played all 90 minutes and was widely considered to be the best player on the pitch in a 2-2 draw. He might have joined Everton, but was more comfortable with the surroundings, and the opportunities, at Hillsborough,

"Going to a club wasn't about how big they were," he says. "It was the fact they showed an interest in me. Having played for Rangers, it would mess with your head to go to a Premier League side in England and not be playing."

There has been much to rationalise in recent months, but McCabe will always value the nine games he played for his team. A career awaits, but he would never rule returning to Ibrox. "I'll keep supporting them," he says. "Maybe one day I'll get to go back."

http://www.heraldsco...ft-him.18643107

Rhys McCabe? Rhys McCabe...........?

Is that a name I should remember?

I find it slightly baffling that the players who left and refused to transfer over to the Newco are considered 'traitors', 'not real Rangers men', while the players that remained are lauded as heroes and icons of the club. It is too simplistic to perceive certain players as legends and others as mercenaries when the facts on this issue largely remain unknown. The judgement of all the players regardless of whether they stayed or left should clearly differ depending on the player’s age/ability/etc.

My take on the situation is slightly different from I would suspect the majority, but in my opinion the players that left, and the players that remained, all behaved in exactly the same manner. They did what was best for them and their careers and were therefore motivated by self interest.

McCulloch is a 35 year old footballer who is past his peak. He enjoyed a relatively successful and prolonged stay in England, and has largely fulfilled his career ambitions. He has returned home with his young family and has settled. When you consider the above factors and the stage of his career, it would have been more of a shock if Lee had decided he wanted to leave. Where would he go? And for how long? Based on his age and ability, he would have in all likelihood ended up in the Championship for a maximum of 2 years. Not good for him or his family, and the pay will unlikely match his current salary. In reality, he is now one of the best paid players in 4th tier history. He is a lucky boy.

Broadfoot has remained because his injury record is appalling and there was no guarantee he would find a club that would pay a salary similar to his current earnings. He wants to leave, but will only do so for the same money.

Lee Wallace has remained because his partner was due to give birth and it was easier to stay. When he declared he was staying the family factor leapt off the page as the real reason behind his decision.

I could explain the reasons behind why Boca and Goian stayed, but it is similar to what I have already stated. The players who have left did so because it was the best decision for them, and the players that remained did so because staying was their best option. On this matter there are no heroes, just players motivated by self interest.

I find it slightly baffling that the players who left and refused to transfer over to the Newco are considered 'traitors', 'not real Rangers men', while the players that remained are lauded as heroes and icons of the club. It is too simplistic to perceive certain players as legends and others as mercenaries when the facts on this issue largely remain unknown. The judgement of all the players regardless of whether they stayed or left should clearly differ depending on the player’s age/ability/etc.

My take on the situation is slightly different from I would suspect the majority, but in my opinion the players that left, and the players that remained, all behaved in exactly the same manner. They did what was best for them and their careers and were therefore motivated by self interest.

McCulloch is a 35 year old footballer who is past his peak. He enjoyed a relatively successful and prolonged stay in England, and has largely fulfilled his career ambitions. He has returned home with his young family and has settled. When you consider the above factors and the stage of his career, it would have been more of a shock if Lee had decided he wanted to leave. Where would he go? And for how long? Based on his age and ability, he would have in all likelihood ended up in the Championship for a maximum of 2 years. Not good for him or his family, and the pay will unlikely match his current salary. In reality, he is now one of the best paid players in 4th tier history. He is a lucky boy.

Broadfoot has remained because his injury record is appalling and there was no guarantee he would find a club that would pay a salary similar to his current earnings. He wants to leave, but will only do so for the same money.

Lee Wallace has remained because his partner was due to give birth and it was easier to stay. When he declared he was staying the family factor leapt of the page as the real reason behind his decision.

I could explain the reasons behind why Boca and Goian stayed, but it is similar to what I have already stated. The players who have left did so because it was the best decision for them, and the players that remained did so because staying was their best option. On this matter there are no heroes, just players motivated by self interest.

Stop talking sense (tu)

I think most people would like to approach this with a decent, humanist outlook, but lets face it, he fucked off and that is as good as any self-centered, selfish cunt leaving the apparent sinkinfg ship.

I wonder if he'd have any pride at the weekends display of Rangers and their players playing in front of a sold out ground in the 3rd div?

On the whole, who gives a fuck what his excuses are and what he thinks?

Lee Wallace has remained because his partner was due to give birth and it was easier to stay. When he declared he was staying the family factor leapt off the page as the real reason behind his decision.

No-one would have begrudged any of the players leaving if they had transferred over, thus allowing us to get a small fee for them. Fact is they never, and that's where the anger and frustration is coming from - rightly so might I add especially when they are apparently "Rangers Men."

Points on Broadfoot, Wallace and Jig are valid but I don't think the same can be said for Bocanegra - he's captain of his country and playing at the lowest level in Scotland surely isn't in "his best interests." He may well still leave but at least he will have done it the right way - unlike the rest of them.

Bullshit .

He must be gutted, think about it. He must be watching rangers now, looking at how good the fans have been, knowing he could of been a part of an amazing journey and maybe even be a rangers legend, but instead hes playing with some pile of shite. I would never dream of doing what he did but If I was him I know Id be fuckin gutted!

Playing the devils advocate card here with a hypothetical question.

If he ran out his contract and came back to ibrox on a bosman/free transfer would we accept him then?

I'll open the question up to include all the rest who walked away, who if any would you take back under this scenario ?

Edit:- no point including Whittaker in this question I think we were all glad to see the back of him !

No-one would have begrudged any of the players leaving if they had transferred over, thus allowing us to get a small fee for them. Fact is they never, and that's where the anger and frustration is coming from - rightly so might I add especially when they are apparently "Rangers Men."

Points on Broadfoot, Wallace and Jig are valid but I don't think the same can be said for Bocanegra - he's captain of his country and playing at the lowest level in Scotland surely isn't in "his best interests." He may well still leave but at least he will have done it the right way - unlike the rest of them.

Agree with this.

Also, in McCabes case he cites lack of communication as his main reason for not transferring over but it surely beggars belief that he couldn't have simply asked Ally or someone else at the club, his buddy Darren Cole perhaps, for their thoughts on the matter. Instead my recollection is that he was one of the first to openly state that he was refusing to transfer his contract whereas if it was simply a matter of waiting to see what might transpire he could have achieved that while having transferred and then putting in a transfer request as per the renegotiated contract terms from when the players took the wage cuts. The club couldn't afford to be difficult to deal with, he could have left with his head held high and with a deal more understanding from the fans, and the club would have received a fee. For these reasons I believe his statements to be a crock of shit and the mumblings of someone worried about the attitude of a re-energised Rangers support.He was feeble in heart when we wanted him to be as strong as those that remained, his excuses are just as feeble now. Word to the wise for him and his ilk, don't darken our door any time soon.

A grown-up will explain it to you one day. (tu)

Wonderful reply. You have highlighted the opening line without duly considering the context it was written. You are not alone on here doing such a thing, many often highlight a single word rather than engage with the essence of the post.

The release clause written into his contract in return for lowering his wages last season absolutely shits all over this nonsense argument of "uncertainty".

One way or another you could have gotten out if you weren't happy, but the decent thing to do would be to transfer over and get us a fee. It's the principle of the situation, above all else. I won't wish him a broken leg or whatever, but I can't accept his argument. Nor anyone who tries to defend him for that matter.