Rhys McCabe Explains Why He Quit

Tiebreak54

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was one of the first to leave if I'm not mistaken.

I can kind of understand his point about being 25/26 before being back at the highest level in the Champions League but he's not going to get there in England because he's not good enough for any of the top 7/8 teams.

However, if he was a Rangers fan as he says he is then why not stay and get a fee for your club when it really needs it?

He might hope to come back one day but I for one will never accept him or any of the others in the blue shirt of Rangers again.

Rhys McCabe recently unpacked his belongings in a new flat near Sheffield Wednesday's training ground, and there is still some furniture to be bought. Yesterday afternoon was spent buying a suit for matchdays, although he first had to check what colour would be most suitable. The chores are mundane, but they bring a welcome bustle to a life that had become marked by anxiety.

For several weeks during the summer, McCabe trained with his friends and their local team in West Calder. To make sure that they understood he was not messing around, he wore his heart monitor and worked at the same intensity as he would have done at Murray Park with Rangers. There was an element of therapy in the physical work, particularly the six or seven-mile runs at 11 o'clock at night to clear his head.

Having taken the decision to object to his contract being transferred over from Rangers Football Club plc to Sevco, the company set up by Charles Green's consortium when it bought the business and assets of the club and was waiting for permission to change its name to The Rangers Football Club, McCabe was effectively a free agent. At 19, the circumstances were deeply unsettling and his parents noticed that his mood was more sombre than usual.

There ought to have been a period of satisfaction, but breaking into the starting line-up and controlling the midfield in games against the likes of Hearts and Celtic coincided with Rangers being in administration. The squad agreed to take pay cuts so that non-playing staff would not lose their jobs, with McCabe and the other youngsters losing 25% of their wages. He made do by sharing petrol costs with his friend and team-mate, Darren Cole.

Even then, he did not envision a sudden break in his relationship with Rangers, where he had played since he was nine. There was no dialogue from anybody at the club during the summer, however, until a letter arrived one week before pre-season training began informing him that if he accepted his next pay packet, and returned to work at Murray Park, that would constitute agreeing to the transfer of his contract. Under employment law, all Rangers staff had the opportunity to object, and depart, which McCabe took because he felt he was being railroaded into a decision he wasn't clear about. There were too many uncertainties.

"I never wanted to leave," he says. "[Rangers] were waiting on the SFA getting back to them and votes being held. Would it be first division, second division, third division, having a team at all? So we thought we'd wait to see what would happen. I'm still a Rangers fan, I still check on the results every week. We were here [at Hillsborough] doing a charity day when Rangers played Brechin and I went into one of the boxes to watch the game on television. It all happened too quickly and there was a lack of communication, so I had to make a decision."

Had somebody from the club met with the player, outlined what might happen and discussed his options, he could have considered a different choice. Unlike other players who left, he had no release clause and his contract ran to 2015.

No footballer in Scotland is oblivious to the hold the game has on supporters. McCabe understands that fans were frustrated, and he is only speaking about his decision now, for the first time, to recall it from his perspective. While the likes of Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker and Jamie Ness were signing for new clubs, McCabe and his advisors had yet to speak to any teams and he was training with his school friends, waiting for developments at Ibrox.

"I was doing my off-season programme," he says. "And every day I was checking the news. We thought about if the club was in the first division, that would be more appearances, getting noticed. In the third division, it's three or four years and I'm 20 now. What if I have an injury? It could be 26 before I played in the top flight again. It was better to play at a higher standard, so I had to make a decision for myself."

McCabe believes he owes a debt of gratitude to the coaching and playing staff who helped him at Rangers, in particular Bobby Russell and Alan Kernaghan, who worked with him at a critical age. His family intend to show their gratitude to all the individuals who influenced his career. His father, Kevin, is an outgoing, unabashed personality, while Rhys is more contained. There is a quiet self-assurance that suggests he also possesses a single-minded purpose.

After being granted full clearance to play for Sheffield Wednesday last Friday, he hoped just to make the squad for the opening game of the season against Derby County. Yet McCabe played all 90 minutes and was widely considered to be the best player on the pitch in a 2-2 draw. He might have joined Everton, but was more comfortable with the surroundings, and the opportunities, at Hillsborough,

"Going to a club wasn't about how big they were," he says. "It was the fact they showed an interest in me. Having played for Rangers, it would mess with your head to go to a Premier League side in England and not be playing."

There has been much to rationalise in recent months, but McCabe will always value the nine games he played for his team. A career awaits, but he would never rule returning to Ibrox. "I'll keep supporting them," he says. "Maybe one day I'll get to go back."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/rhys-mccabe-might-have-left-rangers-but-they-have-not-left-him.18643107

Rhys McCabe recently unpacked his belongings in a new flat near Sheffield Wednesday's training ground, and there is still some furniture to be bought. Yesterday afternoon was spent buying a suit for matchdays, although he first had to check what colour would be most suitable. The chores are mundane, but they bring a welcome bustle to a life that had become marked by anxiety. is a cunt.

For several weeks during the summer, McCabe trained with his friends and their local team in West Calder. To make sure that they understood he was not messing around, he wore his heart monitor and worked at the same intensity as he would have done at Murray Park with Rangers. There was an element of therapy in the physical work, particularly the six or seven-mile runs at 11 o'clock at night to clear his head. is still a cunt.

Having taken the decision to object to his contract being transferred over from Rangers Football Club plc to Sevco, the company set up by Charles Green's consortium when it bought the business and assets of the club and was waiting for permission to change its name to The Rangers Football Club, McCabe was effectively a free agent. At 19, the circumstances were deeply unsettling and his parents noticed that his mood was more sombre than usual. he is still a cunt.

There ought to have been a period of satisfaction, but breaking into the starting line-up and controlling the midfield in games against the likes of Hearts and Celtic coincided with Rangers being in administration. The squad agreed to take pay cuts so that non-playing staff would not lose their jobs, with McCabe and the other youngsters losing 25% of their wages. He made do by sharing petrol costs with his friend and team-mate, Darren Cole. so the cunt looked after No.1.

Even then, he did not envision a sudden break in his relationship with Rangers, where he had played since he was nine. There was no dialogue from anybody at the club during the summer, however, until a letter arrived one week before pre-season training began informing him that if he accepted his next pay packet, and returned to work at Murray Park, that would constitute agreeing to the transfer of his contract. Under employment law, all Rangers staff had the opportunity to object, and depart, which McCabe took the cunt because he felt he was being railroaded into a decision he wasn't clear about. There were too many uncertainties.

"I never wanted to leave be a cunt," he says. "[Rangers] were waiting on the SFA getting back to them and votes being held. Would it be first division, second division, third division, having a team at all? So we thought we'd wait to see what would happen. I'm still a Rangers fan selfish cunt, I still check on the results every week. We were here [at Hillsborough] doing a charity day when Rangers played Brechin and I went into one of the boxes to watch the game on television. It all happened too quickly and there was a lack of communication, so I had to make a decision be a cunt."

Had somebody from the club met with the player, outlined what might happen and discussed his options, he could have considered a different choice. Unlike other players who left, he had no release clause and his contract ran to 2015. And so, he became the cunt he always wanted to be.

No footballer in Scotland is oblivious to the hold the game has on supporters. McCabe, the cunt, understands that fans were frustrated, and he is only speaking about his decision now, for the first time, to recall it from his perspective. While the likes of Steven 'always-injured cunt' Naismith, Steven 'cunt' Whittaker and Jamie 'one-leg-shorter-than-the-other cunt' Ness were signing for new clubs, McCabe and his advisors had yet to speak to any teams and he was training with his school friends, waiting for developments at Ibrox.

"I was doing my off-season programme," he says. "And every day I was checking the news. We thought about if the club was in the first division, that would be more appearances, getting noticed. In the third division, it's three or four years and I'm 20 now. What if I have an injury? It could be 26 before I played in the top flight again. It was better to play at a higher standard, so I had to make a decision for myself. I decided there and then....I wanted to be a cunt."

McCabe believes he owes a debt of gratitude to the coaching and playing staff who helped him at Rangers, in particular Bobby Russell and Alan Kernaghan, who worked with him at a critical age. His family intend to show their gratitude to all the individuals who influenced his career. His father, Kevin, is an outgoing, unabashed personality, while Rhys is more contained. There is a quiet self-assurance that suggests he also possesses a single-minded purpose. The family will say one thing whilst the cunt son does another entirely.

After being granted full clearance to play for Sheffield Wednesday last Friday, he hoped just to make the squad for the opening game of the season against Derby County. Yet McCabe played the cunt all 90 minutes and was widely considered to be the best player on the pitch in a 2-2 draw. He might have joined Everton, alongside another money-grabbing cunt, but was more comfortable with the surroundings, and the opportunities, at Hillsborough,

"Going to a club wasn't about how big they were," he says. "It was the fact they showed an interest in me. Having played for Rangers, it would mess with your head to go to a Premier League side in England and not be playing."

There has been much to rationalise in recent months, but McCabe will always value the nine games he played for his team. A career awaits, but he would never rule returning to Ibrox. "I'll keep supporting them," he says. "Maybe one day I'll get to go back publicly admit I was a selfish cunt."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/rhys-mccabe-might-have-left-rangers-but-they-have-not-left-him.18643107

Fixed that for ya'. :angry:

Yeah right. The remaining players and those who joined recently, along with the fans and Charlie Green , will do all the grafting for the club the next 3 years to get back to the top .....then Rhys could come waltzing back .....feck off! You just became a nothing , nobody player . Worse still...I hope you get capped by Scotland wanker.gif

I can see it from both sides. The uncertainty was unbelievable. Even just a few days before our opening game, we didn't know if we would agree to sanctions in order to play football.

For a young lad, with bags of potential, he needs to be testing himself against a good level of competition. I wish him the best for his career.

I wish the best for every single player that left us tbh, they all done us a good service winning 3 titles. They were lied to by D&P and weren't even communicated with by potential buyers, and then finally CG.

'Maybe one day I'll get to go back'

Don't even think about coming near our club again. If it's good enough for McCulloch, Wallace, Bocanegra etc then it should have been more than good enough for you.

One things for sure though, we'll be back at the top a lot quicker than he will. He, along with the rest of them can rot as far as I care.

Dear Rhys

First of all thank you for confirming that we all button up the back.

Secondly you moved for more money end of story. Just like Whittaker, Naismith, McGregor and Davis....money nothing else.

Your career will now be a non event after leaving Rangers

A fan.

What gets me is this thing about him saying “no one came and spoke to me to explain anything”…

I mean did he not know we were trying to safeguard our clubs future and 1 on 1 meetings with needy little pricks was not a priority at that time!

Honestly wish he would shut up and get on with his own career instead of trying to use our clubs name to get in the papers.

Yeah right. The remaining players and those who joined recently, along with the fans and Charlie Green , will do all the grafting for the club the next 3 years to get back to the top .....then Rhys could come waltzing back .....feck off! You just became a nothing , nobody player . Worse still...I hope you get capped by Scotland

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

Good thread mudslinger.

There's too much uncertainty about McCabe. Rangers and us should now walk away from him.

The law on TUPE is very clear, he had a choice to make and took it, and must now live with the consequences.

Rangers took him on as a lad and made him what he is, thus deserving a bit of loyalty. Unfortunately that is a word McCabe knows nothing about, so deserves none of ours.

I hope his career fizzles right out and he can spend his days thinking "If only"

"The law on TUPE is very clear, he had a choice to make and took it, and must now live with the consequences".

I agree but I wish someone could explain why a fee was paid for Davis when he didn't TUPE. I don't know who (oldco/newco) has the legal right to that fee but thats another issue. Hard to believe that Southampton paid because "it was the right thing to do".