Why are we still singing about the UVF

StewGers

Spot on mate .

36thulster.jpg

Well said mate,

there sacrafice should never be forgotten.

The force who fights and never fears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_(Ulster)_Division

My Great uncle and Great Grandfather were in the UVF and 36th Ulster Division during WW1. My great uncle died in a German POW camp and my great Grandfather died of his wounds he received July 1916. The charge of the 36th Ulster division at the Somme is legendary, they won 4 Victoria crosses.

"I am not an Ulsterman but yesterday, the 1st. July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt that I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world."[5] The final sentences of Captain Wilfred Spender's account furthered his viewpoint

“The Ulster Division has lost more than half the men who attacked and, in doing so, has sacrificed itself for the Empire which has treated them none too well. The much derided Ulster Volunteer Force has won a name which equals any in history. Their devotion, which no doubt has helped the advance elsewhere, deserved the gratitude of the British Empire. It is due to the memory of these brave fellows that their beloved Province shall be fairly treated.

I’m proud of those men as I am of all our troops wherever they come from in the UK and the sacrifice they make to keep us free. At least anytime they are sung about its about heroes not some IRA cowardly terrorist scum or ones covering themselves in shit and staving themselves.

For those who say, "Well what about them across the city with their IRA songs?"

Do we need to do everything by their standards?

I also don't believe that if the OP is a Bear, that Celtic fans glorifying the IRA is in anyway acceptable.

I don't sing those sort of songs at the matches, don't feel it has anything t do with me or what I'm watching. Can't say others singing it bothers me though. Does me no harm exactly.

Ive lived in England for the last 13 years and can I just say anyone who doesn't think Rangers And Celtic isn't the game it is because of the religious divide needs their head reading.

Although the troubles have ended, we must never forget the men that died in the YCV brigade!!

Good post and a true post.

Apart from a few on here agreeing with you ....all you'll see here are wee boys with little or no thought for the club and our reputation and all you'll get is slagged off big time with them calling you a taig etc.... me too now that I've backed you....sad times within our Own fan base.

We COULD be beltin out the billy boys every-week sung with the proper Rangers wording but 'they'll' tell you it's not on ...given that the even More thick among the supporters cannot even think straight and chant without using the outlawed wording

sad indeed.

I'm happy to join this gang of 3 and I'm sure there must be more bears out there who want to sing about our team and forget about wars or any history of Ireland/Britain not relating to our game

I'm happy to join this gang of 3 and I'm sure there must be more bears out there who want to sing about our team and forget about wars or any history of Ireland/Britain not relating to our game

That's great, good for you 3.

It won't stop, no matter how much you're against it.

does everything we do need to be measured against them? Fuck them. They are an irrelevance.

Thats not the point. It''s one rule for us and another for everyone else. It's the same with the Billy boys.

Killie fans & Hearts fans sing it. But you never here any one banning them from signing it.

Thats not the point. It''s one rule for us and another for everyone else. It's the same with the Billy boys.

Killie fans & Hearts fans sing it. But you never here any one banning them from signing it.

do they sing about being up their knees in fenian blood? If not then that is why they get away with it.

We've been told time and time again not to sing 'fenian' yet some still persist and then yesterday it was singing about the 'old' :rolleyes: UVF. Howabout we sing about Rangers? How about we sing about the victories we've had on the football pitch instead of the battlefield? Instead of singing about how 'we were not abused' singing about how we are the most succesful football club in the world?

do they sing about being up their knees in fenian blood? If not then that is why they get away with it.

We've been told time and time again not to sing 'fenian' yet some still persist and then yesterday it was singing about the 'old' :rolleyes: UVF. Howabout we sing about Rangers? How about we sing about the victories we've had on the football pitch instead of the battlefield? Instead of singing about how 'we were not abused' singing about how we are the most succesful football club in the world?

They do. And we do. rolleyes.gif