Why are we still singing about the UVF

StewGers

Good post and a true post.

Apart from a few on here agreeing with you ....all you'll see here are wee boys with little or no thought for the club and our reputation and all you'll get is slagged off big time with them calling you a taig etc.... me too now that I've backed you....sad times within our Own fan base.

We COULD be beltin out the billy boys every-week sung with the proper Rangers wording but 'they'll' tell you it's not on ...given that the even More thick among the supporters cannot even think straight and chant without using the outlawed wording

sad indeed.

You ARE a taig though

I never suggested it was in any way sectarian. Nor do i suggest that we should not be proud to be british and sing songs celebrating that.

However, I would suggest that most people, including many of the fans who sing them, associate the UVF songs (rightly or wrongly) with the 1960's version and not with the Ulster Voulunteers who fought as part of the British Army.

I was simply pointing out that i dont see why we sing these songs at Rangers games and that i think it does the clubs repuatation no good. The responses i Have been getting as expected are ultra defensive, you must be a taig, what about the scum bags singing about the IRA etc etc.

Dont think the fans should do it and thats my final word on the matter.

The fact you signed up to post this topic is bewildering

Just a wee question for the 'its the original UVF were singing about' posters. Why single out this particular regiment out? What about the Argylls? The Black Watch? What makes the 36th Ulster Division any more special or significant to our support than any other?

Just a wee question for the 'its the original UVF were singing about' posters. Why single out this particular regiment out? What about the Argylls? The Black Watch? What makes the 36th Ulster Division any more special or significant to our support than any other?

*pulls up a chair

Trying to get Rangers fans to stop singing these songs is just pissing in the wind. I find it funny that people scoff at the tims claim that they are singing about the Original I.R.A. formed from the Irish Volunteers yet, with apparently no sense of irony, claim that our U.V.F ditties are about the 36th Ulster division. Everyone knows why these songs are sung, Oldfirm fans do hypocrisy very well indeed.

It wasn’t a regiment it was a Division formed from the UVF and incorporating regiments like the Royal Irish rifles ,royal Irish fusiliers and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. The UVF stood against home rule for Ireland and Ulster being absorbed into a Roman Catholic priest ridden Ireland . They took a stand and were prepared to go to war with the South of Ireland to remain British. Later during WW1 they died by the thousands for Britain. I’m not saying we should not remember the fine Scottish regiments mentioned or that we should sing about regiments at games at all I’m just stressing who the UVF were. Perhaps the UVF are sung about because of the British / Loyalist and unionist element, many were in the Orange order and had lodge meetings in france during WW1. If taigs don’t like it I don’t really care, at least we have a culture and have things worth singing about.

jump into your time machine and set it for half seven on the morning of July 1'st 1916 and see what they done,of the many units that went over the top expecting a cakewalk towards the German trenches,very few reached their objectives,the 36th was one of them,constantly going forward into withering fire from maxim 08 machine-guns firing in enfilade to capture the schwaben redoubt,one of the strongest points of the German lines,suffering nearly 5000 casualties on that day alone,almost reaching the German artillery positions they eventually had to pull back because of lack of support,of all the units who went into action that day the sacrifices of the volunteers holds the heart of many,myself included and the memorial tower stands proud to their achievements to this very day

It wasn’t a regiment it was a Division formed from the UVF and incorporating regiments like the Royal Irish rifles ,royal Irish fusiliers and the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. The UVF stood against home rule for Ireland and Ulster being absorbed into a Roman Catholic priest ridden Ireland . They took a stand and were prepared to go to war with the South of Ireland to remain British. Later during WW1 they died by the thousands for Britain. I’m not saying we should not remember the fine Scottish regiments mentioned or that we should sing about regiments at games at all I’m just stressing who the UVF were. Perhaps the UVF are sung about because of the British / Loyalist and unionist element, many were in the Orange order and had lodge meetings in france during WW1. If taigs don’t like it I don’t really care, at least we have a culture and have things worth singing about.

Plenty regiments & division died in their thousands for King & Country. Nowhere near the level of recognition that the UVF get though. I'd guess that any British Military regiment could generally fall into the 'British/Loyalist/Unionist element'. Seems a bit odd that this one division of the British Army should be held as a shining beacon over the rest when there, as far as I am aware no direct links with the club between the UVF & RFC whilst the same cannot be said for any number of other divisions within the British military.

I for one will sing these great songs there about ower freedom that was won buy very brave and loyal me any body that want us to stop is in my eyes is as bad as the traitor lundy and can fuck aff we should never for get next thing will be not wanting orange men an women to support ower great club

I have never posted before, but felt i had to after the first couple of away games this season.

I cant get my head round why some fans are still singing about the UVF at Gers games. Dont get me wrong, most fans, including myself have sung these types of songs in the past but there is no place for them anymore.

This is the start of a new adventure for all Gers fans and we should take this opportunity to rid ourselves of certain songs that do us no favours and have nothing to do with Rangers in the 21st Century.

Quite simply, dont complain about what the media and certain journalists write about Rangers fans when some fans refuse to let go the stuff that is now simply irrelevant and you know they will pick up on.

We should be reading about the amazing suppport given to a team in the fourth tier of scottish football and fans who do themselves proud in the way they support their team and not about a small group who refuse to let go of the past.

That's exactly what I've been seeing and reading about.

jump into your time machine and set it for half seven on the morning of July 1'st 1916 and see what they done,of the many units that went over the top expecting a cakewalk towards the German trenches,very few reached their objectives,the 36th was one of them,constantly going forward into withering fire from maxim 08 machine-guns firing in enfilade to capture the schwaben redoubt,one of the strongest points of the German lines,suffering nearly 5000 casualties on that day alone,almost reaching the German artillery positions they eventually had to pull back because of lack of support,of all the units who went into action that day the sacrifices of the volunteers holds the heart of many,myself included and the memorial tower stands proud to their achievements to this very day

And where does that elevate them above any other British division? I fully understand and appreciate and understand the sacrifice made by all (although your facts are wrong. 5,500 were killed over 1/2 July, not just the 1st) I do not see the relevance to Rangers Football Club in 2012.

Trying to get Rangers fans to stop singing these songs is just pissing in the wind. I find it funny that people scoff at the tims claim that they are singing about the Original I.R.A. formed from the Irish Volunteers yet, with apparently no sense of irony, claim that our U.V.F ditties are about the 36th Ulster division. Everyone knows why these songs are sung, Oldfirm fans do hypocrisy very well indeed.

Glad I read right to the end of this thread but I was just about to make this exact post. One rule for one and another rule for others obviously. They annoy me when the link the IRA to Celtic just as much as the UVF "link" to us. Again I have no problem with the songs people can sing what they want. They are not Rangers songs though.

People should just be honest and not try to hide behind the regiment in the war thats utter pish. The other thread showed songs with videos of guys in ski masks with guns. Most definitly not guns and mask from the world war.