Macleod's A Ray Of Sunshine

LeeWallaceRFC

Macleod's A Ray Of Sunshine

343b0ec396800d1cbd0c0e6939e5afca_XL.jpg

ALLY McCOIST has given special praise to rising star Lewis Macleod for claiming a place in the Rangers top team – and keeping it.

Remarkably the 18-year-old midfielder has started ALL 15 matches this season – despite not playing a first team game at all before the campaign began.

Only keeper Neil Alexander and Lee McCulloch can also claim a 100 per cent appearance record which is an indication of the faith shown by the coaching staff in the talented

teenager.

Boss McCoist told RangersTV: “The bottom line is that Lewis deserves to be in the team. We have said to all of the young lads that if they are showing enough in training and in youth matches and reserve matches then they will get an opportunity.

“I don’t think anyone can deny that this has been the case. We have had some great performances from some of our youngsters.

“Lewis has played in all 15 games, which is unbelievable really and we didn’t expect that to happen.

“But it’s to his great credit that it has happened and he will stay there as long as we feel he is doing himself justice and doing the team justice.

“He is a great boy – but all of them are, even if they are all different. It’s part of the whole experience that we are really enjoying – watching the young lads coming into the team and watching them progress.

“They are learning their trade and working on their skills and they all do it very well.”

Macleod is set to be back in the middle of midfield for this Sunday’s 12.45pm clash with Clyde which is the start of a vital three-game series for Rangers.

McCoist added: “We have a series of matches coming up in three different competitions which are all very important to us.

“First of all we have the biggest one, the league match at Clyde and we have to start getting results away from home.

“Then we have the League Cup tie against an SPL team in the shape of Inverness and then it’s the Scottish Cup tie against Paul Hartley’s Alloa.

http://www.rangers.c...ay-of-sunshine?

There are times when he has been less than stellar but someone has been replaced instead of him.

It's good to see our youth getting a chance and even better when the manager is willing to stick by him but not to the, sometomes, detriment of the team.

It's great the kids are getting their chance, but like many others, we have to understand that they're still learning the job.

I suspect they'll be up and down for most of the season, with more ups coming as they progress.

The ICT gives me some cause for concern as we're meeting them just as they're coming into some form.

But Motherwell were playing good when we played them, so I'd expect we have enough to end their run in the cup.

Good news overall though, the fact that we do have young players and they're getting their chance.

It's great the kids are getting their chance, but like many others, we have to understand that they're still learning the job.

I suspect they'll be up and down for most of the season, with more ups coming as they progress.

This is true young players will be inconsistant, but, for Lewis to have started every game so far along with Jig and Alexander says a lot about his ability and potential.

Great player.

I remember Durrant fuelling the excitement at the end of last season saying we might see him in a few of the final games. Since he came into the team this season he hasn't looked out of place.

It's refreshing to see some of our own young talent getting a shot and developing their qualities.

Lewis, like McKay etc, will go on to become invaluable assets to the Club.

Hoping that he will be one of the first in a long line of home grown talent that improves and developes into a long term team building strategy as we return to the top, He and the others will have a lot of appearances by the time they are 21 and could see 10 to 15 years with us, and he already knows he on the first step to legendary status by playing for us at this point in our history. Look forward to the day we will tell our yet to be born youngsters, 'Aye Son the Great Lewis MacLeod I saw him play in the 3rd Division days when he was a young lad of 18'

Great pic of Super there... Rather see pics like this rather than the fun and games that we always see....

To be fair.. we don't see what really goes on at training. Ally has got this right (i.e. having faith in Lewis). I tell you what... the future is extremely bright for us. Guys like Lewis, McKay, Aird, Perry -- and add Templeton and more coming through..

Haven't felt this good about the future in a very long time. (tu)

of course, when we get back to the top (SFL 1), we will need to bring in a few (higher priced) foreigners...but that is the right mix. Home grown lads.. that we sell on for huge profits, mixed with a few high quality foreign players... Looks like this might become real after all.

WATP, GSTQ (tu)

If we can afford the team this season alone without to much criticism, certainly the young ones and not expect too much they will learn so so much, and we benefit in the long run, can't wait to see these guys keep stepping it up a level every season.

Guys Im sorry but Im not jumping on the Lewis Mcleod fanclub.

He plays for Rangers,hes young and seems talented enough and better people than me are seeing the fruits of the boys talent.

Thats where the complements end for me .At this moment in time he is one of the reasons we are struggling in midfield .He goes hiding,does not bite in tackles and i just dont know where all the praise is coming from .Can anyone please tell me where he played a killer pass or had a specifically good game ?? please tell me.

He reminds me of Thomas Buffel without the dribbling skills.Im not trying to be harsh as he is young and i could be wrong about him but at this moment in time i just dont see why he is in the team before McKay maybe a few others.

I'd like to see him join the attack a bit more. He has good vision, a good shot on him and a bit of trickery to beat a defender. We seen against Montrose what he's capable of and hopefully we start to see a lot more of that.

He plays for Rangers,hes young and seems talented enough and better people than me are seeing the fruits of the boys talent.

Thats where the complements end for me .At this moment in time he is one of the reasons we are struggling in midfield .He goes hiding,does not bite in tackles and i just dont know where all the praise is coming from .Can anyone please tell me where he played a killer pass or had a specifically good game ?? please tell me.

He reminds me of Thomas Buffel without the dribbling skills.Im not trying to be harsh as he is young and i could be wrong about him but at this moment in time i just dont see why he is in the team before McKay maybe a few others.

You'll eat those words in 10 years when he reaches his peak

You say he doesnt bite in tackles? There's been a fair few times this season he's made some very good tackles.

I do agree that he goes missing in games at times but as ge gets older and his confidence grows that hopefully wont be a problem.

Some are over-rating him a bit though.

I do agree that he goes missing in games at times but as ge gets older and his confidence grows that hopefully wont be a problem.

Is that due to him or how the team are playing/tactics? Two experienced international players in Davis and Edu went missing for much of last season.