How far can we go with the current squad?

Jonnyboyrfc

I was looking back even as recently as last season at our squad list and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that we have dropped a fair distance in terms of the quality of players we have on the pitch.

We are head and shoulders above the teams that we play in our league at the moment but then had a bit of a reality check when we played ICT at Ibrox.

Our team will naturally perform better as they play more games with each other and we have a massively promising bunch of young players coming through, but how good can we get with this team?

If league reconstruction doesn't happen, albeit a very unlikely scenario, and taking into consideration the transfer embargo, how far can our squad take us up the leagues and how do we get back to where we belong? Replace half the team when the transfer embargo is lifted? How much money could we realistically spend?

It is a very hypothetical point with a large number of variables but I'd just like to hear some opinions on what would need to change and when for us to get back to the top

It depends on how well the SPL do in the next year or so. We know Hearts will have a cull, those players will most likely go south. If there is no TV deal or even a reduced one then many clubs will have to sell the decent players they have. I think Rangers will return to a much weakened league and probably wouldn't take much in the way of improvement from the current squad and at reasonable cost.

This squad will get us to the SPL, no more no less. That is if the young guys progress as they should.

Signings will be made when the embargo is done and I hope we make them with an eye on the future and playing in the top league. No 30+ year olds.

We will need to spend once we are in the top league but it doesn't need to be 10s of millions as long as we get in a proper scouting network and sooner rather than later.

I think the current crop of players can win us this division and the next tbh. First division will need a couple more experienced players in but if the youths keep up their brilliant work then I'd like to think they'd fight for promotion to the SPL too. ;)

I see this squad as good enough to win the 2nd division but no further. Fortunately we will be out of the transfer embargo by the time we are in the first. The lads coming through have shown the way. Buying older players who for one reason or another have no club is not the way forward but we should be able to attract some decent talent assuming we are going to the first division after back to back league championships.

Who knows what the spl will be like then but we won't be able to win it without a major overhaul, hopefully retaining the bright young talent we are seeing so much of at the moment.

Right now, with the squad as it is, we'd struggle to get out of the 1st as it's a hard league. I'm totally confident we'll win the 3rd and the 2nd with this squad I wouldn't bet my mortgage on winning the 1st, unless some of the younger lads come on leaps and bounds.

I love Jig and he's doing a great job for us, but we need some better strikers to keep going.

Imagine three years from now, if you will.

Alexander(37)

Hegarty(23) Perry(25) Faure(24) Wallace(28)

Macleod(21) Crawford(22)

Aird(20) Templeton(26)

Little(26) McKay(20)

Shiels(30)

Hutton(24)

Black(30)

Argyriou(27)

That team has amazing promise. Also after the transfer ban we will be able to bring in higher quality players as we should be just 1 promotion away from the top division.

To be honest I think the Inverness result was more down to our performance and style of play rather than standard of player. I don't believe the Inverness 11 are better than our 11 man for man

I believe we have an SPL standard team at the moment....as we go up the divisions we will need to add a few higher quality players in important positions but with our youngsters getting valuable 1st team experience IF we continue to play football and utilise these lads then we should have a very strong core group in the next few years capable if winning back our SPL title...

Imagine three years from now, if you will.

Alexander(37)

Hegarty(23) Perry(25) Faure(24) Wallace(28)

Macleod(21) Crawford(22)

Aird(20) Templeton(26)

Little(26) McKay(20)

Shiels(30)

Hutton(24)

Black(30)

Argyriou(27)

That team has amazing promise. Also after the transfer ban we will be able to bring in higher quality players as we should be just 1 promotion away from the top division.

When you consider the fact that Aird, McKay and Mcleod will all be 21 or under - wow.

With regard to winning the first division, Thistle are in frightening form just now. If it were this year, I'd probably say we'd struggle, but with those young boys maturing over the next two years, I reckon we'll be a much improved side.

Been thinking about this and in terms of areas to improve next year and beyond, taking account of our younger players improving all the time and with Wallace, Templeton, Alexander and Sheils...I honestly think in terms of a starting 11 (obviously need more numbers re squad) we only need 3/4 players and should try to avoid going back down the road of signing expensive flops and develop our own youngsters.

I rekon we need a CB with pace, a right back, a striker who can run in behind (beat a man) and maybe a creative CM/RM....with those additions I honestly dont think we would be too far away from competing against Celtic, albeit if you were to believe the press up here I dont know if we will ever compete with the future European Champions......... :000000082:

I think that this squad will do us for Division 3 and Division 2, but will maybe struggle in division 1. Division 1 is as good (if not better) than the bottom have of the SPL and our squad is not quite SPL quality yet. But then again, this young team will have time to gel and grow together and can only get better. Maybe too early to tell.

The squad has more than enough talent to get back to the SPL and hold their own there. So far we have massively underacheived. We should have beat QOS and ICT in the cups and we should have a better away record than we have at the minute.

I think it'll cost us about £5million to get us back to the SPL or whatever the top league will be. Once we're there i think it'll take us about £15m over a season or two to get back to the top.

More than doable if our share issue is a success and season tickets remain high.

Bottom 6 SPL side, if that. No way would i fancy us going to any away SPL ground right now. If we had the best scouts in the world we could probably catch Celtic in two or three transfer windows with business done right, with the scouting team we have now i would guess it would take us tens of millions and several years to catch them. Money i doubt we will have and money i doubt we will spend anyway. I have no idea how we plan to get our place back at the top of tree with what we have to work with just now. The scum have us right where they want us.

Bottom 6 SPL side, if that. No way would i fancy us going to any away SPL ground right now. If we had the best scouts in the world we could probably catch Celtic in two or three transfer windows with business done right, with the scouting team we have now i would guess it would take us tens of millions and several years to catch them. Money i doubt we will have and money i doubt we will spend anyway. I have no idea how we plan to get our place back at the top of tree with what we have to work with just now. The scum have us right where they want us.

Fish you seem an admirer of the scum. Say it ain't so...

Our players are better than you think. And tens of millions to conquer the spl? No mate.

Opinions Uber Fan. We are all allowed them, even you, no matter how deluded.

I love it when you call me Uber.

Didn't say you weren't allowed its just my opinion is yours is wrong. The spl will only become weaker over 3 years while we will be coming up getting stronger for the experience. Tens of millions need spent to challenge and win, this spl, is not true. Yes we'll need to bring in quality after the embargo but not running tens of millions. Your problem is you're perennially grumpy and you seem to have a low opinion on most of our squad.

I would say with a Few more additions ,and the return of Gioan, and Boca this Squad is more than capable to get us to whatever League is the Top one.

I personally think the Youth Players we have are shaping up well, and with some additions once the Embargo is over we should be capable . Another CH ,CM and RB Along with another GK

The same Team proved against Motherwell what they can achieve with the correct application, and Togetherness .

Upwards and onwards.