The Official *** Rangers v Elgin City (Sat 5th Jan, 3pm) *** Match thread

govanblue

If you cannot see the difference to the Rangers side that lost at Stirling to the one that coasted through many of those games in the 10-game winning streak then i'm astounded

In most games we play the same way as we did against Stirling.

No urgency in midfield, ball hoofed up front to the lone striker.

The only player who has any sense of attacking intent is Mckay. When he is out of the team we struggle.

In most games we play the same way as we did against Stirling.

No urgency in midfield, ball hoofed up front to the lone striker.

The only player who has any sense of attacking intent is Mckay. When he is out of the team we struggle.

That's just not true. We've been more direct away from home, granted. But take a look at some of the goals scored by us over the last couple of months. Ridiculous. Macleod and Templeton being lumped in as having no urgency and no attacking intent? Crazy

That's just not true. We've been more direct away from home, granted. But take a look at some of the goals scored by us over the last couple of months. Ridiculous. Macleod and Templeton being lumped in as having no urgency and no attacking intent? Crazy

Templeton has in my view only had maybe a few good games. But then he has been played behind the striker and in my view his best position is out wide.

Not to harp on from last week but that proves my point.

No Macleod, Templeton was played behind the striker and was shocking. We had no attacking threat bar Mckay and eventually Aird when he came on and scored.

Macleod is a great talent but needs a better partner in CM and not played out wide as he was today, yes he scored but it means we are stagnant in midfield.

His changes are baffling at times, I've said that a few times this season and today was no different. I think we tried to close the game out today instead of putting it beyond Elgin but that is common in football nowadays. The guy is still learning the ropes and so are some of our squad, I see no reason for some of the despondency shown in this thread.

Thats the point i was trying to make earlier, im not having too much of a go at him, but i really was disapointed today, there must have been half an hour left when i said to my old boy "theyre goin to end up gettin a point here". My only suprise was they didnt bring that monster of a boy on, he looked to be comin on at halftime but it never happened.

I just think sometimes our attitude just doesnt seem right, from management to players.

David Templeton does not need to do a trick every time he gets the ball. The boys feet are lighting quick, and hes obviously good to watch, but i cant be the only one whos growing a little frustrated by some of the stuff he tries.

Little, for me in contrast, didnt do enough today. Again i dont want to come here moaning at everything after a poor result, but hes not a wide man for me. I thought hutton was deceny again today, which is good because his head was down for a while there. And young mcleod, i keep ravin about him, but surely hes one of the countries top prospects? Did you see his turn from the throw in, main stand side in the first half, between two players? Class stuff. The boys heads up lookin about non stop, his reading of the game is something else and that, you cannot teach

Templeton has in my view only had maybe a few good games. But then he has been played behind the striker and in my view his best position is out wide.

No Macleod, Templeton was played behind the striker and was shocking. We had no attacking threat bar Mckay and eventually Aird when he came on and scored.

Macleod is a great talent but needs a better partner in CM and not played out wide as he was today, yes he scored but it means we are stagnant in midfield.

He wasnt out wide

The treble winning season under McCleish we played some great stuff. Ronald De Boer was a pleasure to watch.

Aye i'll give you that, but alot of it was down to end to end stuff as appose to really good football. Big eck did have De Boer playing some great football tho.

We were shite last week, we all know that. It doesn't prove my point. This is my biggest frustration with this whole thing. We've quite clearly improved from the side that was so nervous, dropping points at the start of the season. Yet a long run of good performances seems to be getting poo-pooed on the back of 2 admittedly poor performances. I guess i'm just fairly happy to concede that we might be a bit inconsistent from time to time.

If you cannot see the difference to the Rangers side that lost at Stirling to the one that coasted through many of those games in the 10-game winning streak then i'm astounded

Without doubt we've changed, theres a huge difference between the start of the season and now. Thats what made today so disapointing.

At one point i actually said to ma da "we could be doin with big kevin kyle".

Never thought id say that.

Without doubt we've changed, theres a huge difference between the start of the season and now. Thats what made today so disapointing.

At one point i actually said to ma da "we could be doin with big kevin kyle".

Never thought id say that.

Absolutely fair enough. I just think some less minded fans on here giving it all that seem to want to forget the improvement in order to moan about today. We should be disappointed today, but we shouldn't be downhearted. It literally was just one of those days.

Ha and agreed on Kyle, think he was doing a good job for us a few games ago

That was a poor performance today, on top of a lacklustre performance last week against QP on a good wide pitch when the spaces could have been expoited but were not. It is part of a manager's job to make sure no complacency creeps in and to curb attitudes of lots of passing about without players putting themselves into positions to really threaten the opponents goal on what should be a regular basis in home games against 3rd Div clubs reduced to 10 men for 50 or more minutes. I question whether Ally is taking these sorts of performances seriously enough. We've had a number of defensive 'excuses' or 'reasons' trailed out in post-match analysis.

However - he sets the team up and today with Little playing wide right it demonstrated not for the first time this season that there is insufficient threat when he plays there. And Jig was nowhere near his usual effective self. IMO from a viewpoint in GF5 there was insufficient leadership to adapt to the game when they lost a player and to press home the advantage we had in numbers on the park, home game, and better quality players. That was quite a failure. We did not appear to me to want the win enough and certainly did not earn the right. Arguably a glaring failure of effective leadership and that will simply not do. The complacency of just strolling along thinking that goals will present themselves needs to be eradicated and replaced by the ruthlessness in front of goal that wins games and wins by good margins against 3rd Div sides. In saying that I acknowledge that we have won some games by a good margin. It is not consistent enough for me for this Div even with a side with a lot youngsters playing - some of the more experienced players are letting them and us down. Today, and arguably last week to for the performance, Ally and the team effectively stood still and did not move forward on our journey back to the top. They did not appear to know what to do to fashion more chances in front of goal and to take those that did present themselves.

Leadership in the crisis months as Charles was getting to grips with the wider issues facing Rangers was excellent. That meant standing firm and giving a voice of determination for the future. This is a journey we are on now and it needs to get us back to the very top at the fastest possible pace. Pissing about in games like this today is not what I want to see from a football management team or from players who should and do know a lot better. Next week I do not want to see any photographs on the Rangers website of Ally and the squad larking about having laughs and jokes. To me it smacks of a lack of seriousness about the journey we are on. These are not normal times for Rangers. I expect signifcantly more responsibility for performances to be taken by Ally and the team on the pitch on the day to deliver winning football and to get this league won with good margin to spare.

So you aren't bothered about us playing great football?

You would need to be deluded to expect us to play "great" football i think, as has been discussed above, people are struggling to remember any recent Rangers sides who played "great" football, apparently one or two sides from the past 15 to 20 years and even then, that "great" football was not enough to make any sort of mark in Europe and it also came at a terrible cost for the club. Like i said, i don't think anyone can, should or is expecting "great" football. I told you earlier what i wanted from my club and it is my belief if we get that, we will play better, be better and please more people.

You would need to be deluded to expect us to play "great" football i think, as has been discussed above, people are struggling to remember any recent Rangers sides who played "great" football, apparently one or two sides from the past 15 to 20 years and even then, that "great" football was not enough to make any sort of mark in Europe and it also came at a terrible cost for the club. Like i said, i don't think anyone can, should or is expecting "great" football. I told you earlier what i wanted from my club and it is my belief if we get that, we will play better, be better and please more people.

Well if Marseille hadn't cheated we would have reached the Champions League final ... also it was whyte not paying the taxes that put the club into liquidation and nothing to do with the expenditure on players

Absolutely fair enough. I just think some less minded fans on here giving it all that seem to want to forget the improvement in order to moan about today. We should be disappointed today, but we shouldn't be downhearted. It literally was just one of those days.

Ha and agreed on Kyle, think he was doing a good job for us a few games ago

And thats my point mate Re: big kev/sandaza.

Kyle was all over the place for a while, the comments on here ranged from him being just pish to him being a tim at the win up. But he badly needed games and game time. After 2 or 3 games, the big man was lookin much better, his touch was good and he offered u a real presence, even chippin in with some goals. So what message did ally send to sandaza today? For the record, i didnt fancy sandaza at utd or st johnstone and i still dont particularly rate him, but ffs give him games, get him on the park and get him sharper. Big lee offered as little as ive seen from him for a long time, i dont think sandaza could have done much worse.

Truth be told i was already pissed off before they scored today, the goal was just the final nail. A final nail that everyone in the fuckin stadium could see comin.