Big Earners Certainly Won't Be Walking Away

billmcmurdo

In a nutshell Oz. Some posters cannot accept legitimate criticisms of McCoist's managerial abilities. They see Ally the legend and think he can do no wrong and to criticise him means you are somehow less loyal.

Everyone i know wants Ally to succeed as manager but many i know are simply not convinced he has the talents required to do so.

I remember last season before the shit hit the fan and we held a very good advantage over the scum. I arrived in Glasgow two days beore we played Hearts at Tyncastle, which we duly won thanks to goals from Naismith and basically the first kick of the ball for Jelavic who was on the subs bench.

The following week we went to Pittodrie (where Naismith fucked his knee) and we ended up winning 2-1.Two weeks later we put the cleaners through Dundee Utd at Ibrox and looked like breezing it.In fact, I remember some supporters (yes they post on here) who were confident the league was already won after those 3 games which outside the filth were our hardest fixtures.

Even then the ability of Ally was being questioned as to whether he was going to continue in the Walter Smith mould regards our playing system or whether he would be more adventurous playing an attacking style of football the next season to try and win 5 in a row.

Now it's bad enough knowledgeable people doubting his managerial ability in the SPL, but for them to doubt his ability to even take us back to the top is a worrying scenario.

I must stress that NOBODY I talked to in that period wanted Ally to fail,but they still had valid criticism of his tactics/team selection which is the right of every supporter.

Because John Greig didn't come up to scratch as a manager, it didn't diminish his standing as a legend in the eyes of our supporters, Ally McCoist is no different, but for his sake,the clubs sake and our sake, I hope Ally proves everybody wrong and becomes a legend both as a player and a manager.

Only he can make it happen.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority want Ally out? I would doubt that in the extreme. I would say that the vast majority want ally to be have the courage of his convictions and get his team to play a brand of football that shows we are on the road to a new direction of football under his tenure,not this fucking system where we are putting ourselves in a position where we can end up drawing/losing a game against part time players in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

I refuse to accept that any Rangers supporter wants to see McCoist fail and be replaced by some other manager,especially one who currently ply their trade in the SPL.

Why the fuck would ANYBODY want him to fail???? It doesn't make sense to me.

The one thing I agree with McMurdo is that we have supporters who can't see, or refuse to see the obvious problems of our current team and their way of playing the game.That is up to Ally to change it.

I assume if McMurdo's figures are correct about wages then the two quoted would be McCulloch and Alexander or Wallace. and obviously the signings of Shiels, Templeton,Black etc would be high for the bottom tier, but wages can't be blamed on McCoist,either in the past or future.

Good post Oz i agree i responded to your post the other day and said Ally needs to change the backroom staff i don't see what imput they are giving or doing but will Ally get rid of his pal Durranty as his number 2? and McDowell? If he does and brings in experience pedigree to help him he will suceed as it stands i don't see where its going to come from IMO..

Good post Oz i agree i responded to your post the other day and said Ally needs to change the backroom staff i don't see what imput they are giving or doing but will Ally get rid of his pal Durranty as his number 2? and McDowell? If he does and brings in experience pedigree to help him he will suceed as it stands i don't see where its going to come from IMO..

I don't know whether you have noticed it,mate, but we allegedly have a subtle shift in our coaching system where a certain Craig Mather who was Director of Sports developement has been put in charge of youth developement.Does this mean that Sinclair will no longer have the say in how our youth developement is ran? because this could cause many changes in our coaching ranks.

The entire coaching system must be seamless where the kids are used to a certain way of playing so that when they get to ages 16 onwards, they can understand the system the big boys play,otherwise they may as well not be coached at Auchenhowie at all.

If Craig Mather has been given carte blanche to transform our entire coaching programme, perhaps it will be he who has the say as who will be our senior coaches and not Ally.

If I get the chance to put a question to Charles Green when he is in Sydney, this will be the one I am going to ask him. :pipe:

a team like Rangers should NEVER resort to a long ball game

What do you mean: a squad cobbled together at the last minute with free transfers and no option to change for 18 months, in unprecedented circumstances?

Are we wrong to want or indeed demand better?

I completely l agree, it is the timescales I disagree with.

Having said that for whatever reason;

Sandaza

Black

Shiels

Cribari

Perry

And to some extent Templeton haven't been good enough or aren't good enough.

A squad containing

Shiels - League Cup winner

Black - Scottish Cup winner

Templeton - Scottish Cup and EL expierence

Sandaza - SPL goal scorer

Alexander - CL/EC, SPL expierence

Wallace - SPL, International and European expierence

Jig - SPL, EPL, CL, International expierence

Cribari - Seria A expierence

Little - SPL, International expierence

Now are you seriously telling me a team containing all of these players cannot resort to anything other than long ball football at times?

Please!!!

A squad containing

Now are you seriously telling me a team containing all of these players cannot resort to anything other than long ball football at times?

Please!!!

Well they do...so yes.

A squad containing

Please!!!

Spot on bud (tu)

They have not produced the goods and let's not forget that the manager sets out the tactics and you would think if a player does not adhere to the, then he would be out the team

A crisis ? Hardly

We've romped the league and are bringing through some good young footballers.

Inverness and QOTS were two of the most on form teams in Scotland when we played them & Dundee Utd were always going to beat us.

Blown a 15 point lead, knocked out of 7 cups in 18 months, playing shocking football....

Obviously you haven't read my posts, nowhere did I say it was good enough, doh

Why do I bother.

Appologies if I misinterpeted your posts but I was under the impression you were saying it's natural for this as the squad was 'thrown together'.

I suggest it's not because we have a class of player than have proved at preivious clubs and at this club they can play a good standard of football but for whatever reason they have become 'lazy', 'disinterested' and it's the coaching staff and managers job to sort this.

It's not good enough for Rangers.

If the manager of our team is making a cunt of of it then obviously people will want him gone. If it was any other manager with no connections to Rangers there would be protests outside the front door.

Maybe it's not got that extreme yet because we are only in the 3rd division?

It's not Just Ally McCoist though that some people want gone they want a whole clear out from inside Auchenhowie. Youth coaches etc.

We have let go to many good players that were on trial with us and from our youth teams over the years.

Regarding the Wanyama wages thing versus what we're paying, another interesting comparison to the vermin is that we were paying Ally £1 million a year pre Administration. It is well known through Liewells press briefings and their accounts that Sellik started Lennon on £300K with the condition that his wage would rise based on good results and performances. Why the fuck did we start Ally on £1million??? What is he on now? Surely it's been pared right back? One certainty is that we've been highly adept at pissing money away on salaries for many a year.

What do you mean: a squad cobbled together at the last minute with free transfers and no option to change for 18 months, in unprecedented circumstances?

I completely l agree, it is the timescales I disagree with.

Having said that for whatever reason;

Sandaza

Black

Shiels

Cribari

Perry

And to some extent Templeton haven't been good enough or aren't good enough.

Are you not contradicting yourself slightly by mentioning the good players but a squad cobbled together.

This isn't just about this season though. Ally's record last season was equally as bad.

These players were the top stars of their teams in the SPL and now can't turn it on against div 3 teams.

The style of play is being questioned as are his tactics of one up front and two holding midfielders against part time players.

What concerned me the most though was the insipid performance against United. The lack of changes during the game to counter United's midfield and attack. The lack of leaders and dig.

One game told me a lot about our squad, our manager and how poor we are just now.

Appologies if I misinterpeted your posts but I was under the impression you were saying it's natural for this as the squad was 'thrown together'.

Its not natural, indeed it is baffling why those players are performing so poorly. My point is and always has been wrt McCoist that I think the mitigating factors are enough to give him more time.

The reasons for playing the long ball were more pointers as to why players can end up playing that way in games, without it necessarily being the style of play the manager wants.

I suppose the flip questions are;

Do you honestly think McCoist sends them out to play a long ball game?

Do you honestly think that is the style of play he wants Rangers to play with?

TBH the defence just isn't good enough or composed enough to play a passing game. It all starts with them and their distribution isn't good enough to pull it off, so rather than lose it they punt it. I think at present we may see small improvements, probably at home, but with that defence we are very limited regarding our style of play.

I think Cribari was brought in as he was supposed to be a passing CH, good at moving forward.

Regarding the Wanyama wages thing versus what we're paying, another interesting comparison to the vermin is that we were paying Ally £1 million a year pre Administration. It is well known through Liewells press briefings and their accounts that Sellik started Lennon on £300K with the condition that his wage would rise based on good results and performances. Why the fuck did we start Ally on £1million??? What is he on now? Surely it's been pared right back? One certainty is that we've been highly adept at pissing money away on salaries for many a year.

Didn't he take nothing for 9 months FFS.

Its not natural, indeed it is baffling why those players are performing so poorly. My point is and always has been wrt McCoist that I think the mitigating factors are enough to give him more time.

The reasons for playing the long ball were more pointers as to why players can end up playing that way in games, without it necessarily being the style of play the manager wants.

TBH the defence just isn't good enough or composed enough to play a passing game. It all starts with them and their distribution isn't good enough to pull it off, so rather than lose it they punt it. I think at present we may see small improvements, probably at home, but with that defence we are very limited regarding our style of play.

I think Cribari was brought in as he was supposed to be a passing CH, good at moving forward.

Some fair points and assessments there mate but the problem is last season when we had international players we still played the long ball...I can't tell you how frustrated I was at times watching the ball being punted up to jelavic and us losing possession...that is something that has to be addressed and is clearly coming from ally in terms of direct/percentage football.

Re the wages it's a disgrace how much we have wasted over the years on players and managers and we must address that. If we teach our players how to play the game properly hopefully we won't need to spend as much. But if the comparisons with the Celtic players are accurate it's no wonder we got into the mess that allowed whyte to take over.

If ally is on a million I will be very surprised but going back to a discussion had on here the other day re the standard of manager we could attract....I'd imagine a lot of premiership managers aren't on that.

I support him and will continue to do so but he needs to sort alot of problems and change alot of things. First step for me would be to bring in a new youth and coaching team and bin the dead wood in the staff and playing side taking financial advantage of us.

You're contradicting yourself by mentioning the good players but a squad cobbled together.

No that's exactly the point, none of them are performing, normally a team will get away with the odd poor performance from their so called top performers, we are not a good enough squad to get away with how poorly they are ALL performing. The players should be ashamed of themselves.

This isn't just about this season though. Ally's record last season was equally as bad.

Personally although I agree we played poorly throughout, we purchased players from the bargain basement, none of the signings could be regarded as "blue chip" of first choice could they, and that's after losing Boyd, Miller and Jelavic.

Again the jury is out as the judge has to do better, but IMO he needs time to build a squad from a stable base.

That is all I want, I'm not happy with how we are playing, I'm not happy with the performance and desire of the players and I'm not happy with the performance of the manager.

I just detest the snidey posts and insults after every slip up, I think they are embarrassing and do not relfect well on our support...I struggle to see how I'm showing "blind loyalty".

But heh its an Internet Forum.

The arguments are valid as no one has gone through what Ally has as manager of this club however that should not make him immune to criticism in terms of how he sets his teams up to play and how they perform under him as manager.

I can’t forget us blowing a massive lead last season before admin or getting punted out of the cups either as all of that has to be taken into account, signings were made like Bedoya and McKay which was a waste of £1 million and who knows how much on wages while others were not made due to Whyte being a conman bastard.

McCoist will get more time than any other manager in our history because of everything and rightly so but the question is how much time should that be? And will we fall further behind in this time been given? It’s a tough one tbh.

I was against the whole legend becoming a manager thing at the start because I feared this type of thing where the heart rules the head and vice versa as it does nothing but draw a divide among the support, I’m not for asking for him to be sacked or walk away but rather just show us he has this squad under control and stamp out this lackluster half arsed effort I am seeing and have seen for a good few weeks now.

I’d be asking these questions under anyone else so I have to ask them under Ally regardless of how he has conducted himself as a player and manager so far.

No that's exactly the point, none of them are performing, normally a team will get away with the odd poor performance from their so called top performers, we are not a good enough squad to get away with how poorly they are ALL performing. The players should be ashamed of themselves.

Personally although I agree we played poorly throughout, we purchased players from the bargain basement, none of the signings could be regarded as "blue chip" of first choice could they, and that's after losing Boyd, Miller and Jelavic.

Again the jury is out as the judge has to do better, but IMO he needs time to build a squad from a stable base.

That is all I want, I'm not happy with how we are playing, I'm not happy with the performance and desire of the players and I'm not happy with the performance of the manager.

I just detest the snidey posts and insults after every slip up, I think they are embarrassing and do not relfect well on our support...I struggle to see how I'm showing "blind loyalty".

But heh its an Internet Forum.

I am not having a go. I am enjoying the debate about our manager and would much prefer it if all points were argued this way. You support him 100% and i support him but not with the same confidence. I personally think there are mitigating circumstances for some of our problems but a fair few excuses are also manifesting to protect a Rangers legend.

I am not having a go. I am enjoying the debate about our manager and would much prefer it if all points were argued this way. You support him 100% and i support him but not with the same confidence. I personally think there are mitigating circumstances for some of our problems but a fair few excuses are also manifesting to protect a Rangers legend.

No problem wasn't suggesting you were, the bit at the end was me just venting some frustration at some of the posts/articles since the weekend.