A simplistic view on todays performance!

scarkev

I think the vast majority would agree that today (especially in the second half) was the best performance the players have produced for a number of weeks. Now like a bad performance, in isolation, it doesn't mean alot and we all want to see consistency and progression in our play and performance. However it certainly was a vast improvement and much more enjoyable than recent fair.

Now as the title suggests I have a pretty simple view as to why our performance was improved today. Yes there are a number of factors that can affect a performance, predominately geared around the attitude of the players but for me two very important issues were addressed today;

1/ Players playing in their natural positions - I, like most of you, get frustrated when we try to shoehorn players into positions and formations that they are not suited to. I think it was pretty evident today how much more comfortable a number of players were playing in positions and in a system they were more accustomed to. Yes there will be an argument that players should be able to play in various positions but for me, in our current circumstance we should keep things simple and pick players for the position and not the other way about.

2/ Addressing the issue on our Right hand side - Im not wanting to come accross like I know more than anyone else, I certainly don't, but for the past month I have posted the exact same thing in match day threads about our line-ups, relating to the clear issue on our right side. For the past few weeks it has been so clear that all our attacking play was being stifled in the final 3rd because we had no width on the right. With Hegarty at right back he wasnt offering himself on the overlap and with little at right mid, he was always looking to cut in which in turn slowed down our play as we didnt have the option right and forced the majority of our attacks down the left.

Today there was a vast improvement in this area. Say what you want about the Greek, he's not the best, but as a natural right back with lots of energy he does make a big difference for us in the final 3rd even if he doesnt get the ball. By being an option on the overlap he occupies a defender and creates space for our attacking players centrally (see how much more involved Sheils was today in advanced areas). Having 2 more naturally wide players today also allowed us to keep possession and create opportunities in advanced areas.

As I say there are other factors that would have affected todays performance (Albear85 making an apperance might be the trick :sherlock: ) but to me at least these 2 issues were very noticeable improvements. I am hopeful that although he was "forced" into this by injuries Ally will learn from today and use it as a platform to build on. Was happy to see the 3 youngsters get some game time from the bench and in the remaining games I hope to see more of them getting a run.

Added bonus I had a fiver on 4-0 so first rounds on me tonight! :7325:

Just come online,and was going to post more or less the same thing,apart from having a double of 5-0 and a Sandaza hat-trick at 35-1 lol...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether Ally was forced into todays team or not, nobody can accuse him of getting his tactics/system wrong, nor his substitutions.

Queens Park might be a bunch of amateur players, but when you get a coach who sets his stall out like Walter (Gardner) Speirs did and sets his tactics with a bunch of fit energetic players who defend in numbers,then they are going to be difficult to break down,as was shown in the first half,due to dogged defending in numbers,allied with a keeper who was playing a blinder. plus a bit of luck on their side.

Ally gets slagged on here when he fucks up with his tactics/system/selections, which is deserved, so give him a bit of credit when something goes right.

Whether Ally was forced into todays team or not, nobody can accuse him of getting his tactics/system wrong, nor his substitutions.

Queens Park might be a bunch of amateur players, but when you get a coach who sets his stall out like Walter (Gardner) Speirs did and sets his tactics with a bunch of fit energetic players who defend in numbers,then they are going to be difficult to break down,as was shown in the first half,due to dogged defending in numbers,allied with a keeper who was playing a blinder. plus a bit of luck on their side.

Ally gets slagged on here when he fucks up with his tactics/system/selections, which is deserved, so give him a bit of credit when something goes right.

People are right to say you can't criticise ally for the an isolated bad performance just as you can't praise him for an isolated good performance, regardless of what level we are at!

Yesterday was an improvement and in my opinion a big part of that was a result of team selection but I ask if Sandaza was fit, would little have started up top? Would McKay have started at all? If perry was fit there's no doubt in my mind hegarty would have been shoehorned into right back and the same issues we have seen for the past few weeks would still be evident.

I'm hopeful though that yesterday was a learning curve regarding picking players for positions and not the other way about.

If we can consistently play with the fluency and passing we did yesterday, regardless of results, I will be the first to praise ally, as it will then be evident there has been progression which is all I want. Not expecting miracles but I do expect given our resources to produce a consistent level of performance.

People are right to say you can't criticise ally for the an isolated bad performance just as you can't praise him for an isolated good performance, regardless of what level we are at!

Yesterday was an improvement and in my opinion a big part of that was a result of team selection but I ask if Sandaza was fit, would little have started up top? Would McKay have started at all? If perry was fit there's no doubt in my mind hegarty would have been shoehorned into right back and the same issues we have seen for the past few weeks would still be evident.

I'm hopeful though that yesterday was a learning curve regarding picking players for positions and not the other way about.

If we can consistently play with the fluency and passing we did yesterday, regardless of results, I will be the first to praise ally, as it will then be evident there has been progression which is all I want. Not expecting miracles but I do expect given our resources to produce a consistent level of performance.

Only Ally can answer those questions,but the proof will be in the pudding against Clyde when we see what team he selects,because barring injury or suspension, that team from yesterday should be the starting XI at Broadwood.

Argyriou although not the fastest thing on two legs is the best Right back we seem to have available and when he went forward yesterday he was well covered by our wide men when needed .

I think Andy Little would be disappointed if he was given that right midfield role after his effort yesterday, so we will see just what Ally comes up with.

Only Ally can answer those questions,but the proof will be in the pudding against Clyde when we see what team he selects,because barring injury or suspension, that team from yesterday should be the starting XI at Broadwood.

Argyriou although not the fastest thing on two legs is the best Right back we seem to have available and when he went forward yesterday he was well covered by our wide men when needed .

I think Andy Little would be disappointed if he was given that right midfield role after his effort yesterday, so we will see just what Ally comes up with.

Agreed...little is a goal threat that we have lacked centrally recently...I really do think having a natural right back (regardless of his ability) does make a difference, especially in an attacking sense...I will be very disappointed if perry comes straight back in next week. Hopefully yesterday was the first of many positive performances between now and the end of the season.

Agreed...little is a goal threat that we have lacked centrally recently...I really do think having a natural right back (regardless of his ability) does make a difference, especially in an attacking sense...I will be very disappointed if perry comes straight back in next week. Hopefully yesterday was the first of many positive performances between now and the end of the season.

Considering that Andy Little was described as a striker and that he actually made his (very short) debut at R/B against the filth in 2009,then seemed to have a lot of injuries,then played in different positions,I was never confident of him making the grade with Rangers. I'm still not sure whether he has what it takes to claim a permanent place as we climb the leagues, but giving him a decent run as a striker might answer a few questions about his ability.

Considering that Andy Little was described as a striker and that he actually made his (very short) debut at R/B against the filth in 2009,then seemed to have a lot of injuries,then played in different positions,I was never confident of him making the grade with Rangers. I'm still not sure whether he has what it takes to claim a permanent place as we climb the leagues, but giving him a decent run as a striker might answer a few questions about his ability.

I've never been convinced he will be a top player either, though he does have a knack for scoring which is the first priority for a striker...if he is going to push on it will be as a central striker...my personal preference would be to use the remaining games to play him, Naismith and when back Hemings up front...give them a chance and see if they have the potential to progress or not.

I agree that playing guys in their natural position(s) certainly helps but I still can't fathom why we don't play the ball from the back as standard?

Delighted with the win obviously but not convinced that the lack of a style will serve us well as we progress through the leagues.

Finishing on a positive, because we battered probably the second best team in the league, we scored some lovely goals and our passing middle to front looked much brighter yesterday.

I've never been convinced he will be a top player either, though he does have a knack for scoring which is the first priority for a striker...if he is going to push on it will be as a central striker...my personal preference would be to use the remaining games to play him, Naismith and when back Hemings up front...give them a chance and see if they have the potential to progress or not.

I can't comment on Naismith as I haven't seen enough of him and I certainly know nothing about the ability of Hemmings,except that he was captain of our U/19's (which doesn't mean a lot regards ability)

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly,so apologies if i'm wrong, but I can't see Ally playing with three out and out strikers,no matter if the league is won or not. Although if he doesn't play them,he will never know what they can do.

I can't comment on Naismith as I haven't seen enough of him and I certainly know nothing about the ability of Hemmings,except that he was captain of our U/19's (which doesn't mean a lot regards ability)

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly,so apologies if i'm wrong, but I can't see Ally playing with three out and out strikers,no matter if the league is won or not. Although if he doesn't play them,he will never know what they can do.

I haven't seen alot if them either mate, the point I was trying to make was we should give each of them a run of games, not all together. Give them a chance to stake a claim that they are capable of stepping up a level.

some good points made in this thread, Mackay and Hutton were my MOM, I cant wait to see young Mackay in a couple of years time, he has the skills and ability to be up there with some of the the best Rangers wingers we have ever had, although his corners need some work, when he did beat the first man, floating the ball in just doesn't work. a minor flaw in what was a good performance. Kyle Hutton reminds me of a young Gerrard without the passing ability, showed he has a good engine and he dominated the centre of midfield, if his passing improves we have an absolute gem in the making. I thought our 4 goals were as good as we've scored all season, some great passes to rip the Queens team apart. I know the opposition is a lot to be desired, but you can only beat what's put infront of you. all in all a good day at the brox, although those who are praising the club deck must be about 4 ft tall, fantastic view but my shins are sore today ha ha

I haven't seen alot if them either mate, the point I was trying to make was we should give each of them a run of games, not all together. Give them a chance to stake a claim that they are capable of stepping up a level.

After we play Clyde next Saturday, we have got exactly 12 games left to play this season, so the chances of Hemmings or Naismith getting a decent run of games would be pretty slim I'd imagine,especially if he decided to keep Andy Little there and also I don't see him not playing Sandaza if he is fit and available for selection,considering the amount of cash he is allegedly costing us each week, plus we have big Jig on the way back and he will be guaranteed a game, so somebody is going to miss out.

After we play Clyde next Saturday, we have got exactly 12 games left to play this season, so the chances of Hemmings or Naismith getting a decent run of games would be pretty slim I'd imagine,especially if he decided to keep Andy Little there and also I don't see him not playing Sandaza if he is fit and available for selection,considering the amount of cash he is allegedly costing us each week, plus we have big Jig on the way back and he will be guaranteed a game, so somebody is going to miss out.

You are right but if it were me I would give Naismith a chance in the second striker role, I don't think either Sandaza or Kyle are the future of the team and although I would certainly be keeping jig it's not like we are going to learn anything new playing him....if Sandaza is on the money reported I would be looking to move him on in the summer I think there is better value for money already on the books and the remaining games could be used to give them a chance to prove that. The biggest thing for me though is that ally doesn't disrupt the balance of the team that we had yesterday by bringing back in the "big earners" and shoehorning them in again...

scarkev my man .Two very good spots .The Greek did indeed push us further up using the right side and the whole team played as a unit linking the play up much better of late with good quality creativity .Sad thing for me today though ,I was going to put 5on 4-0 and said to my mate .Then noticed coupon already filled at snack bit and I decided to put this on instead which was 3-1 .Then after a good result I was driving away up passed the Quay cinema and I got stopped with cops doing me for being onmy mobile phone .They had been hiding trying to catch people just heading into centre from there .Gutted after this and it wasted my day

STOP CALLING HIM THE GREEK YOU CUNT :D :D :D

Had another watch at the game as am happy to see some noticable progress, particularly with the passing on the deck. Hopefully this is the beginning of change at the club. We have no meaningful games left anyway so we have plenty of opportunity to find our style.

Watched the game at Ibrox from a different seat yesterday to see the game from a different angle (went to the back of GR - usual seat is GF). Also watched again on RTV today. Simplistic view after watching the game twice. First half very poor and imo no real improvement shown. Second half much better and 4 goals. Was this just down to a 'stay calm and it'll all work out' message or down to a bit of managerial bollocking? I don't know but it was a more direct, energetic, determined performance in the second half.

Right from the kick off misplaced passes, no pace in the game, both wingers looked disinterested as if they didn't want to play there, Barrie had three goes at corner kicks that were woeful. Looked as if we'd dropped to playing in front of Queens Park and at a pedestrian pace. Defence nervy with Ian Black having to dish out the 'calm down' hand signals to them. Still very little threat from the right hand side. Little not able to take on and beat a defender. At half time I saw it as more of the same and a very long way to go to see real improvement.

To my mind Barrie is happier on the left wing and in the second half the threat was much more evident and it led to goals. The tempo was better with the ball being moved quicker and some invention in the play. So much better second half.

Whether the league stucture leaves us still in the bottom tier of Scottish football next season or up a league if the changes are delayed, it seems to me that much more is going to have to be found from this squad as a driving force to get us back to the top with a long wait still before we can buy anyone, and the risk of losing players in summer might weaken us further. I sincerely hope that Ally, the coaches and the squad can get more performances along the lines of the second half performance and on a much more consistent basis. It might seem a lot to ask, but in truth I don't think it is.

Hutton is too slow, and lets players run past him onto through balls. Don't think he is that good to be honest. And although I do like MacKay, those 3 corners in the first half were woeful, as was what should have been a straightforward diagonal ball to Templeton in yards of space, right to left, in the first half. He really, really needs to work on the crossing, dead balls, etc. Mind you, probably just a typical winger!

Hutton is too slow, and lets players run past him onto through balls. Don't think he is that good to be honest. And although I do like MacKay, those 3 corners in the first half were woeful, as was what should have been a straightforward diagonal ball to Templeton in yards of space, right to left, in the first half. He really, really needs to work on the crossing, dead balls, etc. Mind you, probably just a typical winger!

I think mckays consistency and delivery will improve with time...all wingers are inconsistent though and you have to accept that at times. The corners were atrocious though I do agree...I think it's a disgrace we can't put in a decent set piece.

Hutton lacks agility and mobility and that's what will hold him back from being a top player. He does have something about him I quite like mind you and once he gets into his stride he is quite a powerful runner.

I really think that the players looked so much more comfortable and confident yesterday with players in natural positions and with the balance sorted on the right. There is still alot of room for improvement but it was a positive performance and hopefully lessons have been learnt.