Mather announced as CEO

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very far from satisfied with this. A top class highly effective (in my view) CEO left and an interim was appointed. No apparent efforts have been made to check the market for credible alternatives to Craig Mather - who else did Rangers interview? Mather has, in my view, only surfaced when there is something good to say (signings) or when he wants to catch the eye in friendly environments (speech in San Franciso). Has he got his shoe-leather worn by getting out among Supporters and Supporters clubs to communicate? Not as far as I'm aware - other than for a nice jolly trip to San Francisco. Has he been out there looking to sell STs and to talk up the prospects for Rangers? Again, not as far as I can see.

Now he said in the same thing in the match programme for the last match of last season as Walter said today - "......and has a clear vision of how Rangers should be taken forward". Well if anyone has heard what that vision is and can point to where we can read it then I for one would like to see it. Right now, this Board is, in my view, behaving very poorly. Nothing to say - including from Mather - in the latter decisve stages of the vote to create the SPFL. Only mutterings of days of judgement, and lists and acting whent the time is right - all vague and risks being judged by history to be only a strategy to keep the pot of grievance simmering to help sell STs.

In appointing Craig Mather unchallenged we are in fact being asked to believe there was no credible competition for the position of CEO of Rangers. If that is the case then that is indeed a very poor state of affairs for the Club. What, I wonder, was the criteria used to determine if he was to be suitable to be appointed on a permanent basis. If it was dignified silence on anything other than new signings or vague promises of plans for the future or whipping up interest in actions to be taken when the time is right then pretty much everyone on this forum could have passed muster on that.

The appointment looks like a stich up job for the favoured boy who will toe the line and stay well within the calm waters of non-controversy. Does he have the leadership skills and sheer presence of authority to be an effective champion for Rangers in the corridors of power at the SPFL? Could he win an argument when he needs to against Regan and Doncaster? Could he convince / calm investors? Can he communicate well with Supporters? I don't see any evidence from him that he has that sort of CEO leadership skill. Here is the challenge Craig and Walter - instead of talking about vision and plans spell them out. Demonstrate why you are both fit to be CEO and Chairman. Dignified silence and soundbites do not do it. It's not difficult - if the Board is convinced about Mather's vision / plans then there really should be no difficulty in setting them out. Not do do so is, in my view, would be a collective Board failure compounding what would look like bad judgment in not having an effective competition for the job of CEO.

Very far from satisfied with this. A top class highly effective (in my view) CEO left and an interim was appointed. No apparent efforts have been made to check the market for credible alternatives to Craig Mather - who else did Rangers interview? Mather has, in my view, only surfaced when there is something good to say (signings) or when he wants to catch the eye in friendly environments (speech in San Franciso). Has he got his shoe-leather worn by getting out among Supporters and Supporters clubs to communicate? Not as far as I'm aware - other than for a nice jolly trip to San Francisco. Has he been out there looking to sell STs and to talk up the prospects for Rangers? Again, not as far as I can see.

Now he said in the same thing in the match programme for the last match of last season as Walter said today - "......and has a clear vision of how Rangers should be taken forward". Well if anyone has heard what that vision is and can point to where we can read it then I for one would like to see it. Right now, this Board is, in my view, behaving very poorly. Nothing to say - including from Mather - in the latter decisve stages of the vote to create the SPFL. Only mutterings of days of judgement, and lists and acting whent the time is right - all vague and risks being judged by history to be only a strategy to keep the pot of grievance simmering to help sell STs.

In appointing Craig Mather unchallenged we are in fact being asked to believe there was no credible competition for the position of CEO of Rangers. If that is the case then that is indeed a very poor state of affairs for the Club. What, I wonder, was the criteria used to determine if he was to be suitable to be appointed on a permanent basis. If it was dignified silence on anything other than new signings or vague promises of plans for the future or whipping up interest in actions to be taken when the time is right then pretty much everyone on this forum could have passed muster on that.

The appointment looks like a stich up job for the favoured boy who will toe the line and stay well within the calm waters of non-controversy. Does he have the leadership skills and sheer presence of authority to be an effective champion for Rangers in the corridors of power at the SPFL? Could he win an argument when he needs to against Regan and Doncaster? Could he convince / calm investors? Can he communicate well with Supporters? I don't see any evidence from him that he has that sort of CEO leadership skill. Here is the challenge Craig and Walter - instead of talking about vision and plans spell them out. Demonstrate why you are both fit to be CEO and Chairman. Dignified silence and soundbites do not do it. It's not difficult - if the Board is convinced about Mather's vision / plans then there really should be no difficulty in setting them out. Not do do so is, in my view, would be a collective Board failure compounding what would look like bad judgment in not having an effective competition for the job of CEO.

Spot on!

Based on what he has done as interim CEO he deserves to hold the post on a pernament basis. Those wanting hourly soundbites about 'taking on our enemies' etc. etc. will be dissapointed tho'.

What has he actually done?

Based on what he has done as interim CEO he deserves to hold the post on a pernament basis. Those wanting hourly soundbites about 'taking on our enemies' etc. etc. will be dissapointed tho'.

What has he 'done' ? Past let ally sign players?

Oh well, it's back to the future then.

No more hourly sound bites about "taking on our enemies".

I guess we'd better get the kneepads on for our apologies and slap some vaseline on our arses to make the bending over a bit less traumatic.

Can you have a dignified silence with your trousers at your ankles and getting shafted by the cabal ?

It seems to me that we have Martin Bain mark 2.

I dont know the guy, but what I would ask is would he get a CEO position in a similar sized Company/club elsewhere? When we agree that that answer is no, then we must ask why did he get this job then?

On the face of it, it looks like he has been put in as a patsy for the bigger shareholders, who want to continue to have the final say on important issues, something that a proper CEO would never allow to happen in his name.

Bain was allowed to make all the wee day to day decisions but had to ask Murray on anything important.

I sense Mather is going to be exactly the same, but with a different puppet-master.

The problem with an Interim position is the feeling you are under constant scrutiny, despite that Craig has done a reasonable job. Some have disputed his appointment from day one, others have compared him to Charles and found him wanting. yet other will ask is a reasonable job what we need to lead us out of the wilderness. Maybe he needs to grow into the position, he comes across well so I am going to give him that time, lets see how he does over the coming season.

It is worrying that there doesn't seem to have been a proper recruitment process. Hopefully, he will be more organised than Green was, and we won't have any more car crashes like Green's racist comments and his interview on STV.

FFS what are the people shouting about 'appeasers' etc. actually want from a CEO, John Rambo?

No. Charlie Green.

The man who among other things, saved our club, opened shops at the sirport and Belfast, took back Edmiston house etc, rebuilt our merchandising, organised a successful share issue, and kicked ass.

He'll do.

You speak very well sir.

No. Charlie Green.

The man who among other things, saved our club, opened shops at the sirport and Belfast, took back Edmiston house etc, rebuilt our merchandising, organised a successful share issue, and kicked ass.

He'll do.

Undermined the manager and Team in public, made a cunt of himself and the club in the media, lied over his dealings with White, didn't last a season and will fuck off with a big bag of swag.

'Come back Charles'