Defending corners...

GOAT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes no sense because it invites the opposition to pin you in, often (like last night) leads to more than one player going for the same ball and putting one another off and provides no outball for a quick counter attack.

It makes no sense because it invites the opposition to pin you in, often (like last night) leads to more than one player going for the same ball and putting one another off and provides no outball for a quick counter attack.

From playing at school level to amateurs every coach I had used to leave one or two up front. Tactically, it was essential defenders (me) knew where they were as that was where clearances were going. More often than not it relieved pressure, and as you say sometimes led to a counter attack.

Not rocket science.

From playing at school level to amateurs every coach I had used to leave one or two up front. Tactically, it was essential defenders (me) knew where they were as that was where clearances were going. More often than not it relieved pressure, and as you say sometimes led to a counter attack.

Not rocket science.

With my team we usually leave two players up whilst defending a corner, both of whom take up position on either flank at the half way line....often defenders will leave them unmarked and stay central which gives us as defenders an outball whilst if they do go and mark it leaves a massive gap in behind for a counter attack.....now that is just one example/benefit but you will never convince me that bringing everyone back for a corner doesn't just create more issues than it solves....it's almost an admission we don't know how to defend properly do hope to survive with sheer weight if numbers!

The season hasn't started yet and already Ally is clueless.

Well to be fair he's being doing it for 2 years and has cost us so many goals and denied us the chance to counter teams so not exactly unsubstantiated complaints....

Well to be fair he's being doing it for 2 years and has cost us so many goals and denied us the chance to counter teams so not exactly unsubstantiated complaints....

The OP specifically referred to yesterday which was a pre-season friendly with many of the first XI missing.

I agree with most that leaving 1 or 2 up front seems the better option...

but have any Bears - who have done coaching badges - got any reasons why a team floods the box and has no-one forward? (personally, I think it takes 'building from the back' just too literally)

The OP specifically referred to yesterday which was a pre-season friendly with many of the first XI missing.

With word "again" I think is fair to be taken as an indication he is talking about the constant policy ally has employed as manager if bringing everyone back for a corner which allows the opposition to pin you in and as exemplified by last night costs us goals with players getting in one another's way....

With word "again" I think is fair to be taken as an indication he is talking about the constant policy ally has employed as manager if bringing everyone back for a corner which allows the opposition to pin you in and as exemplified by last night costs us goals with players getting in one another's way....

Well, when all our players are available we'll almost certainly play with two up front so I can't see that system being utilised throughout the coming season. We could just wait and see, of course, but where's the fun in that?

Well, when all our players are available we'll almost certainly play with two up front so I can't see that system being utilised throughout the coming season. We could just wait and see, of course, but where's the fun in that?

What's that got to do with the policy if bringing everyone back to defend a corner?

We'll probably leave at least 1, possibly 2, up front at corners I would imagine under that system.

I think you are missing the point here....we had 2 up top last night yet everyone was back....it's the way ally does it at corners no matter the personnel or formation...

No need to have everyone in the box... Where does the out ball go to? Back to the opposition is where. They can leave 2 or 3 players hovering about 20- 30 yards out to resume an attack.

But the issue is.. WHY do we do it? No clue.. But I'm no manager (tu)