McCoist offering deals to Zaliukas and Pandza

WilliamFyfe

McCoist continues hoping to add further to his pool and could present an offer to trialists defender Marius Zaliukas as early as this afternoon.

A similar proposition remains in front of Boris Pandza too and the manager has been to stress he has no preferred option between the two at present.

He added: “Marius has trained with us now for the last four or five days and we’ve been greatly encouraged by what we have seen.

“I think he has enjoyed himself here as well and I know he will be having a discussion again with Craig (Mather), hopefully today.

“He is due to train again tomorrow but we would be very, very keen to get something done. We’ll certainly put an offer to him.

“I would be loath to put them (Zaliukas and Pandza) in any order but what I would say is I’m keen to get a centre-back in.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5075-happy-to-have-competition

Can't see Mather brining them both in tbh. I think Marius Zaliukas will sign.

Disagree, I think we should sign one CB and then call it quits. Our squad is big, it is bigger and better than most. But it has to be good enough to compete against a Premiership side should we face one in the cup. Secondly, the championship is a lot stronger than division one and it would be good to take a settled side into this division. Thirdly, we are Rangers.

Sign Pandza, shift Perry and that would be happy days for me :)

See if we could get the two of them in the door and get rid of Perry and Hegarty that would be spot on ... like for like numbers wise but much better off in terms of quality. I'm talking ideally and know it will be impossible to do though.

Seems to me Ally has more than one eye on next season. I mean the core of a team with enough experience and firepower not only to win promotion this season but to be promoted first time from the next league so that the players to be added on return to the top league would be just a few. With momentum built from what should be a very strong squad he minimizes the 'chance' that adding players of quality later does not pay the dividends he expects and in grabbing them now he gives them 2 seasons to sort out those who will hit the ground running when we get back to the top league, from those who will not. Maybe a Scottish cup run this season to wipe out the disappointment of Forfar is also firmly on the managements mind. Maybe also the idea that some players could be sold on in near-future transfer windows to raise some cash so enough of a solid experienced squad with room for younger players to play their way in is the balancing act to be achieved.

Pandza is a regular for Bosnia, perhaps the most underrated nation in International football atm. Why it's taken so long to bring him in is beyond me. Zaliukas is an alright defender but is not an improvement on what we have.

if what you say is correct about Pandza can't help thinking why hasn't anyone else came in for him, it's not as if the third tier of scittish football is particularly appealing to outsiders, bar the interest in ourselves obviously.

i still think for where we are this season we don't need anymore players, more than enough defensive options to cover most circumstances that should come up

Seems to me Ally has more than one eye on next season. I mean the core of a team with enough experience and firepower not only to win promotion this season but to be promoted first time from the next league so that the players to be added on return to the top league would be just a few. With momentum built from what should be a very strong squad he minimizes the 'chance' that adding players of quality later does not pay the dividends he expects and in grabbing them now he gives them 2 seasons to sort out those who will hit the ground running when we get back to the top league, from those who will not. Maybe a Scottish cup run this season to wipe out the disappointment of Forfar is also firmly on the managements mind. Maybe also the idea that some players could be sold on in near-future transfer windows to raise some cash so enough of a solid experienced squad with room for younger players to play their way in is the balancing act to be achieved.

This.

you have to feel for the younger lads :anguish:

understand where your coming from but youngsters wont make it without seasoned pros to learn from.Its a bit like a kid having no parents someone else has to take on the role or their lost.

understand where your coming from but youngsters wont make it without seasoned pros to learn from.Its a bit like a kid having no parents someone else has to take on the role or their lost.

You can't be serious with that comparison..

Pandza is a regular for Bosnia, perhaps the most underrated nation in International football atm. Why it's taken so long to bring him in is beyond me. Zaliukas is an alright defender but is not an improvement on what we have.

If he's so good, why hasn't he been snapped up by anyone yet?

As far as I'm aware, we're the only team interested in him??