Transfer Budget.

No.12

To be quite honest, that question is pretty much unanswerable.

We don't even no what financial state we are in just now never mind looking two years ahead.

I would hope by then we would have moulded a good selection of our youngsters to compete at that level, they are our future after all.

On our return to the top league in a couple of years, what would you see as a suitable transfer budget to challenge for a top 2 position?

It was widely reported pre-IPO that there would be a further need for fund raising prior to entering the top league, contrary to recent ramblings this was expected. The numbers mentioned at the time, if I remember right, was between £30-£50M, how much of that is to be spent on the squad will depend on the work being done now with players on frees and the development of youth players.

Unfortunately it is already obvious that some of the younger ones will not make it in to a top league first team so depending on the next couple of transfer windows I would expect £10-£12M of a transfer kitty for the premiership, if all goes beter than expected between now and then this can be reduced to £5-£8M.

We need to be looking for the upcoming players for 1 or 2 million that we can sell on.. We can't go spending 4 million on players for just a couple of European games a year, we need to be run as a feeder club for the EPL if we don't want to get back to the days of large debt, extortionate ticket and merchandise prices.

I don't recall any mention of further funds being required and, right now, feel a wee but ripped off - albeit for £500. The highlights from the prospectus I kept were the following

The Company plans to use the money raised from the Placing to improve the

infrastructure of the Club. In particular, the Directors have identified:

• upgrades to Ibrox stadium (approximately £5.5 million); WHERE ARE THESE? SURELY NOT WIFI?

• acquisition of land assets adjacent to the stadium (£4.5 million); THE TICKET OFFICE AND CLUB are all I can think of just now

• other identified projects which could result in additional revenue THE SHOPS AT THE AIRPORT AND BELFAST

generating activities (approximately £3.0 million); and

• general working capital purposes.

In addition, should the Company receive funds from the Offer, the Directors have

identified other potential investments that would go beyond the Group’s strategy

in the next 12 months, but which could further enhance revenue opportunities.

In particular, the Directors have identified:

• further upgrades to Ibrox Stadium (approximately £3.5 million); and

• other identified projects which could result in additional review

generating activities (approximately £2.0 million),

Additionally, cash could also be used to provide the Directors with additional

flexibility to opportunistically consider appropriate investment opportunities

as and when they arise.

------------------

Does anyone else feel a wee bit like we have been blindsided by Green and co?

At least another 11-13 players we'll need for the top flight in my opinion - We'll need to get them cheap and/or on bosman deals.

Only players I can see for us so far at the top flight is Wallace, McCulloch, Little Templeton, Cammy Bell and Law and most of those would be squad players I'd imagine

Jury is out to be fair on whether Moshni / Clark / MacLeod could do a job for us in the top flight (tu)

Transfer fees are not important, finding the right players is and they can be had for free every summer. Give me a team of Boumsongs, Hemdanis and Prsos before a team of Hendrys, Rozentals and Flos every day of the week.

Depends on what we do now. Mould and develop a team integrating youths and those like law who are spl experienced and with a good few years ahead of them will mean several players in the 1 to 2 mill bracket required. Through purchase or bosmans.

My expectation tho is that we' ll pretty much have to rip it up and start again with double figures quantity of players required.

We can do it all without spending too much money if we get our scouting sorted out.

The bosman market can be a lucrative place nowadays, just look how well we done in the 3rd tier. If we were at the top table and fighting for Europe, we could probably get an even higher quality bosman.

That along with making smaller offers for players nearing the end of their contract.

And if we do stick to that market for a while, we can eventually sell some of these bosmans off and make profit towards buying a few even better quality players if needed.

As others have said we need to get wise in the transfer market. There is no reason why we could not break even in the transfer market if we buy and sell carefully. We should be planning already for the top flight, developing our young players who we think will be good enough, making sure they get the right amount of game time. We should already be identifying potention bosmans for next summer and the summer after.

What we will need though is a much higher wage bill.

As others have said we need to get wise in the transfer market. There is no reason why we could not break even in the transfer market if we buy and sell carefully. We should be planning already for the top flight, developing our young players who we think will be good enough, making sure they get the right amount of game time. We should already be identifying potention bosmans for next summer and the summer after.

What we will need though is a much higher wage bill.

We should be but I get the impression we are only taking it one season at a time.

Concentrate on upgrading our scouting system so we can improve on the transfers and hopefully use that towards a healthy budget.

Hopefully this would mean a better chance of free deals of good quality and also young players on the cheap to possibly sell on for decent profits.

10 million to buy 3-4 top players at 2-3 million would suffice

However my concern as always would be the coaching and tactics and methods under this management team - no point buying good players if they will all go backwards in a few weeks

10 million to buy 3-4 top players at 2-3 million would suffice

However my concern as always would be the coaching and tactics and methods under this management team - no point buying good players if they will all go backwards in a few weeks

Aye. Our manager and coaches could turn Ronaldo into a painter & decorator in a fortnight...

Aye. Our manager and coaches could turn Ronaldo into a painter & decorator in a fortnight...

They would un-intentionally remove something from his play, that's a certainty

Probably him him playing defensive mid alongside Kyle Hutton in no time