McCoist and his wages

saintbob1969

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the right to ask questions. Ally took a 50 percent wage cut for the sake of the Club. He has stated why. Try Googling it. He made it very clear. Now if you think hiring some third rate coach with no experience of a huge Club like ours will save money then you are entitled to think so. But in reality they'd most probably fail to win divisions back to back. The financial consequences of such a failure are far greater than the 400 grand Ally gets paid. The cost would be in the tens of millions. There is a small minority who don't accept what Ally has done. Do yous think he did it for selfish reasons? The mind boggles.

That's exactly what the guy was saying! Satire or sarcasm, I never know which is which ha

Management team, board of directors and players are all on Premier league wages, our club is in the 2nd division only a year ago we came out of admin we have made a £14million loss in our 1st year. It doesn't matter who we are are or who works for us the wages need to be sorted until we actually start making money.

With reference the arguments regarding Ally McCoist and his pay- there are a number of points that are being mixed together that should not be.

The first point is what should a Rangers Manager be paid. There are two factors to take into account here- our current economic situation and the ambition of the business plan to take the Club forward. What I read from the accounts is that our current payroll costs do not comfortably with our current revenue levels- however our most significant imbalance appears to be in terms of what is our expenditure on non playing staff. The Management team have taken a significant cut- that is to my mind a sensible and honourable act- which in itself is a significant contribution to the Clubs future financial well being- it is interesting to note that no such similar acts are as yet being reciprocated by the CEO or FD. With respect to the business plan- the accounts appear to demonstrate the plan is to put a squad together that is capable of returning to the higher leagues and therefore the leagues which mean future income can be maximised- as quickly as possible. Therefore the argument that our squad wages are too high for a lower division team is both correct and incorrect. This squad has not been put together to win lower divisions- it has been put together to get us back to a position where we can regularly challenge for European Honours and the associated significant revenue streams that are available with those events. You cannot put together a squad with our payroll/ talent and expect that squad to maximise its potential by paying a Manager a Scottish 3rd Tier Club Managers wage. Given the costs of our squad, and the ambitions of the business plan- I cannot fault the fact we are now paying our manager something in the region of £400k.

The second point that should not be confused with the first is- Is Ally McCoist the right person to be managing Rangers. Well given that so far he has won through the first promotion battle, and is currently easily on track to achieve the second- it is very difficult to use his results as an argument for saying that he is not the correct person. Then there is style of play- this appears to this fan to be improving all the time.

I am fed up with the Rangers bashers in the media. But I am more disappointed with the Rangers bathers within our own support. For this reasons I have little time for Murray and McColl- their criticism and the manner in which it is presented is destructive rather than constructive. Likewise I feel it is the same with "some" of the posts criticising Ally McCoist.

I cannot have agreed that a 750k salary for a Rangers Manager was acceptable at the moment. I can however see the argument for the present wage structure- but for it to be more than a gesture the current Board need to look hard at their own levels of remuneration.

Credit to Coisty for taking a 50% wage cut, there's not many people around who'd do that. (or work for months free of charge which I suspect had something to do with that initial £800k wage for the first season before he took the wage cut. He was compensated but not fully)

Is he worth £400k in the third tier? To Dunfermline no, to Stenny no, but we are not your average third tier team. Coisty is worth every penny of that £400k.

Did people honestly think we were going to start fielding players on £500 a week to balance the books as we worked through the divisions? There would have been outrage and rightly so. And probs a lot less season tickets sold.

A thread like this was not intended to attack Ally McCoist. I have said that we are progressing well with some fine players, and players some of us questioned but Ally has been proven right. I'm delighted to be building a team for the years ahead and not just for going through the leagues. Craig Mather identified this and I have to agree with him. I am not even attacking the board we presently have. They said they'd bring out the accounts and they have. We knew it wouldn't be good news, but it could be worse.

I just think all Rangers fans need to be vigilant and question the ways business has been done. Christ sake nobody wants to go through the last few years. Ally is a clever man. He is well sorted for finances and has seen the way this was going to play. I do not think he will suffer when you take a cut like this as he can only make more as we progress, plus there's the Ally McCoist biography, his portfolio, and everything else he can do to be sorted. Our main concern should not be for Alistair's economic security but with the economic security of Ibrox and our football club. Thank you.

Credit to Coisty for taking a 50% wage cut, there's not many people around who'd do that. (or work for months free of charge which I suspect had something to do with that initial £800k wage for the first season before he took the wage cut. He was compensated but not fully)

Is he worth £400k in the third tier? To Dunfermline no, to Stenny no, but we are not your average third tier team. Coisty is worth every penny of that £400k.

Did people honestly think we were going to start fielding players on £500 a week to balance the books as we worked through the divisions? There would have been outrage and rightly so. And probs a lot less season tickets sold.

Great sensible points - we are Rangers not some wee team and while we are playing in the third tier we are nothing like a third tier club!

Pay Ally national minimum wage and throw in a free Zonecard. If I can take a packed lunch to work why can't he? Plenty of unemployed coaches out there who we could employ instead. Third rate ones who we could employ for peanuts who would fail to take us back to the top tier in the first attempt. Because we can afford to spend another season or two in the footballing wilderness. Afterall we will save £400, 000 in wages a year.

I would take minimum wage and that free zone card to manage Rangers, and I am an unemployed coach. Sack Ally and give me the job and you will see attacking football.

Great sensible points - we are Rangers not some wee team and while we are playing in the third tier we are nothing like a third tier club!

Yup.

Unique circumstances allow for what would seem like outrageous spending for a club in this division. (well, most people understand it)

A substatial wage cut, but some are still not satisfied? The stuff that our manager has had to deaal with and still has to is incredible, last season he had to put a team on the park with both hands tied behind his back, the fans gave him stick cause the football was shite. This season he builds a better squad and averages 5 goals a game and takes a substantial wage cut, yet still he gets slates.

Would you honestly be happy if we started to act like a team in the third division of Scottish football? I know for sure that I certainly wouldnt be!

By all means criticism of mccoists management is going to happen even if we win the c.l. itspart and parcel of the job hes in. But a few are using any excuse available to have a go. Hes dropped half his wages when he had the right to stay on these wages. Yet goian and bocanegra are lauded as heroes even though we had to pay them away andpaid a proportion of their wages last season. Im to be convinced by the manager but slagging him for dropping his wages is showing real bitterness

A substatial wage cut, but some are still not satisfied? The stuff that our manager has had to deaal with and still has to is incredible, last season he had to put a team on the park with both hands tied behind his back, the fans gave him stick cause the football was shite. This season he builds a better squad and averages 5 goals a game and takes a substantial wage cut, yet still he gets slates.

Would you honestly be happy if we started to act like a team in the third division of Scottish football? I know for sure that I certainly wouldnt be!

You ought to try reading people's posts mate, not many folk on here are actually slating McCoist. We're only discussing the wages and the survival of our club. Most of us are all for paying above the regular wages. But we should never be financing Charlie Green's French Villa or Goian and Bocanegras retirement funds either.

Yup.

Unique circumstances allow for what would seem like outrageous spending for a club in this division. (well, most people understand it)

Ach there are just some folk on here perpetually offended about anything to do with the club and only see negatives! Luckily most of us are sensible

It is a fact that Rangers are in a state of recovery. It is a fact that Scottish football is not healthy. So we ought to shut up and let people cream off what they can as long as we are opening the doors of Ibrox?

I havenae bought a scummy rag since I was an apprentice many years ago. But it is shorthand for the point I make about people needing to ask questions, not be offended, just call things to account. What is wrong with that?

With reference the arguments regarding Ally McCoist and his pay- there are a number of points that are being mixed together that should not be.

The first point is what should a Rangers Manager be paid. There are two factors to take into account here- our current economic situation and the ambition of the business plan to take the Club forward. What I read from the accounts is that our current payroll costs do not comfortably with our current revenue levels- however our most significant imbalance appears to be in terms of what is our expenditure on non playing staff. The Management team have taken a significant cut- that is to my mind a sensible and honourable act- which in itself is a significant contribution to the Clubs future financial well being- it is interesting to note that no such similar acts are as yet being reciprocated by the CEO or FD. With respect to the business plan- the accounts appear to demonstrate the plan is to put a squad together that is capable of returning to the higher leagues and therefore the leagues which mean future income can be maximised- as quickly as possible. Therefore the argument that our squad wages are too high for a lower division team is both correct and incorrect. This squad has not been put together to win lower divisions- it has been put together to get us back to a position where we can regularly challenge for European Honours and the associated significant revenue streams that are available with those events. You cannot put together a squad with our payroll/ talent and expect that squad to maximise its potential by paying a Manager a Scottish 3rd Tier Club Managers wage. Given the costs of our squad, and the ambitions of the business plan- I cannot fault the fact we are now paying our manager something in the region of £400k.

The second point that should not be confused with the first is- Is Ally McCoist the right person to be managing Rangers. Well given that so far he has won through the first promotion battle, and is currently easily on track to achieve the second- it is very difficult to use his results as an argument for saying that he is not the correct person. Then there is style of play- this appears to this fan to be improving all the time.

I am fed up with the Rangers bashers in the media. But I am more disappointed with the Rangers bathers within our own support. For this reasons I have little time for Murray and McColl- their criticism and the manner in which it is presented is destructive rather than constructive. Likewise I feel it is the same with "some" of the posts criticising Ally McCoist.

I cannot have agreed that a 750k salary for a Rangers Manager was acceptable at the moment. I can however see the argument for the present wage structure- but for it to be more than a gesture the current Board need to look hard at their own levels of remuneration.

This (tu)