Everyone back for corners causes unnecessary pressure...

Dietspam

This is becoming a real pet hate of mine. I don't see why we have everyone back at corners. When the ball is headed out, it's to one of the opposition players. As we saw last week, they got a shot at goal and scored. Against bigger teams in the cup, i think we could be punished from this. Ayr kept us penned in for a bit after their corners. At least if we had a couple of guys out of the box, we could challenge the players when the ball comes out, or even break away as Nicky Clark did in the second half.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not this fucking bollocks again.

Yeah, 20 odd wins on the bounce, our numbers when defending corners is causing us hellish problems.

FFS

What, so every one of those victories has been perfect? With no cause for concern in any single minute of the 90 in each game?

Don't be silly, just because we're winning games doesn't mean there isn't room to improve, and i think leaving one forward up for corners is a simple improvement that can be made.

Does my head in aswell. But when I see teams like Liverpool do it then I cant really complain as more often than not it tends to work. Be better if our midfielder held the ball abit better and let the forwards sprint up the park

liverpool can break out with guys like suarez, sturridge, sterling, moses, coutinho, these guys hang around the edge of the box for the counter attack, they have ability, pace and others to back them up

just because it works for one team it doesnt mean it will work for others, yeah we have 20 wins on the bounce, playing well etc, but the fact is that 11 men back at corners for us doesnt work

likes of today, just what will fraser aird bring to the defence at a corner, he will likely get in the way of the actual defenders that can attack the ball, small, pacey players like aird, clark etc should be kept on the edge of the box if not higher to pick up the outball and run it out to give us time to push up

This is becoming a real pet hate of mine. I don't see why we have everyone back at corners. When the ball is headed out, it's to one of the opposition players. As we saw last week, they got a shot at goal and scored. Against bigger teams in the cup, i think we could be punished from this. Ayr kept us penned in for a bit after their corners. At least if we had a couple of guys out of the box, we could challenge the players when the ball comes out, or even break away as Nicky Clark did in the second half.

Ok.

He clearly has everyone picking up a marker, with two on the line. They've two back.

Eight are marking eight.

How would you change it and who doesn't get marked?

Ok.

He clearly has everyone picking up a marker, with some on the line.

How would you change it and who doesn't get marked?

Not everyone is marked though, they don't have 10 men up for the corner. Their guys are hanging outside the box and when we clear it, it falls to them and the pressure is still on. Forfar was a prime example. We cleared the ball to their team, and he put it in the top corner.

I would have both wingers and Nicky Clark out for a start. Someone to clear it to and run with it. Hit the opposition on the counter. The ball fell to clark from a corner and he bolted away. He had to be brought down and it should have been a yellow but the ref was a bit wank today.

Not this fucking bollocks again.

Yeah, 20 odd wins on the bounce, our numbers when defending corners is causing us hellish problems.

FFS

Well against these teams it is in a way. They are keeping us penned in needlessly. Now, they might not have the quality to punish us for it (although Forfar did score from this exact scenario mid week). If we are to make in roads in the cup, i think this could cost us against teams who do have the quality.

Not everyone is marked though, they don't have 10 men up for the corner. Their guys are hanging outside the box and when we clear it, it falls to them and the pressure is still on. Arbroath was a prime example. We cleared the ball to their team, and he put it in the top corner.

I would have both wingers and Nicky Clark out for a start. Someone to clear it to and run with it. Hit the opposition on the counter. The ball fell to clark from a corner and he bolted away. He had to be brought down and it should have been a yellow but the ref was a bit wank today.

What he's doing is keeping everyone marked and hoping the opposition don't score a wondergoal.

Most goals against us are great goals as we don't allow them in the six yard box....that's just football.

I agree, it would be great to have breakaways from corners and attack but them, who are you not marking?

You go back to last season when we lost goals from free headers not picked up, inside the box.

We've fixed that....but now we want goals from corners against us as well?

As some of have said, the system is common, it leaves you open to outside of the box wondergoals....which is the type we largely concede.

They're rarer than the easy stuff we let in last season though due to terrible marking.

I guess when it starts working against us...results-wise...he'll change.

Till then...Ally can't really win if we want it corners well defended and expect breakaways as well.

What he's doing is keeping everyone marked and hoping the opposition don't score a wondergoal.

Most goals against us are great goals as we don't allow them in the six yard box....that's just football.

I agree, it would be great to have breakaways from corners and attack but then, who are you not marking?

You go back to last season when we lost goals from free headers not picked up, inside the box.

We've fixed that....but now we want goals from corners against us as well?

As some of have said, the system is common, it leaves you open to outside of the box wondergoals....which is the type we largely concede.

They're rarer than the easy stuff we let in last season though due to terrible marking.

I guess when it starts working against us...results-wise...he'll change.

Till then...he can't really win if we want it corners well defended and expect breakaways as well.

As i said though, they don't have everyone in for the corner. If they did, i would see the point. That's why i feel the box is overloaded. I thought the basic 'rules' were clear the ball and move out. We can't do that if the ball comes back time and time again. It's not really a problem at this level because we can out score the opposition and the quality isn't the best. In the cups against top opposition, i think a lot of people would have a different opinion if a goal from this scenario cost us a tie.

liverpool can break out with guys like suarez, sturridge, sterling, moses, coutinho, these guys hang around the edge of the box for the counter attack, they have ability, pace and others to back them up

just because it works for one team it doesnt mean it will work for others, yeah we have 20 wins on the bounce, playing well etc, but the fact is that 11 men back at corners for us doesnt work

likes of today, just what will fraser aird bring to the defence at a corner, he will likely get in the way of the actual defenders that can attack the ball, small, pacey players like aird, clark etc should be kept on the edge of the box if not higher to pick up the outball and run it out to give us time to push up

I agree with your last paragraph. If we had a midfielder on the edge holding the ball just for a few secs. He could release aird or temps etc and catch the opposite defence out. Unfortunately we haven't seen it happen. Even under walter it never happened. But like I say if others are doing it then many will use it just to back up the managers decision

Sorry I can't be arsed reading other posts on this subject, but Walter had everybody back against big teams, but not teams in the third level of Scottish football. It's simple tactics, defence clears the ball out from a corner, straight out and no defending team player is up there to challenge for the ball and the attacking team can start again. Ally, we all love you, but ffs leave an attacker up the fuckin park.

As i said though, they don't have everyone in for the corner. If they did, i would see the point. That's why i feel the box is overloaded. I thought the basic 'rules' were clear the ball and move out. We can't do that if the ball comes back time and time again. It's not really a problem at this level because we can out score the opposition and the quality isn't the best. In the cups against top opposition, i think a lot of people would have a different opinion if a goal from this scenario cost us a tie.

They don't have all up...we don't have all marking either....we've players on the line.

Last season we never did that and conceded a ridiculous amount of headed goals from corners.

He changed tactics this season...yeah, we defend set pieces like a fortress now but er....hasn't it produced better results in a better division?

We're not good enough again yet to allow ourselves to have an attacking outlook in a defensive set-piece.

Our tactics are measured to our current level and division...it's working well.

We'll see what he does when we face an SP team....

I simply feel it's a moan Ally doesn't deserve, seeing as we all moaned about the easy goals we lost last season.