Next season, I'd like to see us play 6+ big friendlies against top teams

OlegKuznetsov

would be good to arrange a 4 team tournament with decent opposition that didnt qualify for europe and play them home and away on champions league nights.

wont happen but would be good and give us a good test and the fans something to look forward to

Might have difficulty getting UEFA to sanction that, especially if those games pulled in bigger crowds than some CL fixtures.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think the only one we can be pretty sure of is the Bristol one. after last season when they gave us the blackthorn trophy was it not touted that as sponsors of both they would like to see it as an annual game. apart from that the big boys wont come to play us as wee are no real test to them (allegedly) until we are back in the top tier. trips abroad do we need the expense of them. would rather see the money go on players or saved than freebies for the hangers on. so teams like Bristol, Sheffield, wolves and a couple of highland lge teams will be about what we get.

Nice sentiment but I'm just not sure we're in a position where we'd be able to attract top teams.

I might be wrong but from what you said, I took it to mean 6+ games over the course of the Season, I'd not turn my nose up at that but you'd have to consider the quality of opposition, even a big team would likely send a majority B team up.

What kind of teams could we realistically attract? I think due to the volume of games we can rule out Champions League & Europa League competitors.

So that leaves clubs from around 8th place down in top leagues, bearing in mind most of these clubs play lesser sides in cup competitions would it be realistic to believe even these clubs would send over teams that would push the players McCoist currently has?

I think due to a lack of matches to whet our appetites Rangers players would be wholly up for these friendlies while players from clubs in far better positions/situations than ours would see coming over here as more of a chore so in that sense it might give fans and Ally a false prespective on how far away the team is.

In theory it's a great idea but in reality I'm not so sure.

Next season, I think it would be a good idea to play friendlies against more than six Champions' League standard teams.

Whilst this will not be the same as competitive games, competing against such a standard of team and player would still be of benefit to our players for the following season, in my opinion, should we get successive promotions, of course.

Would there be such a benefit if we did add this experience to the bread and butter of the league? What do you think?

The issue is that our season starts earlier than all to leagues and therefore it's difficult getting games organised to suit the calendar! It also costs money to put on friendlies and unless you are guaranteed a decent crowd then it's not worth it!

Ideally we should try and get an invite to some pre season tournament like the Emirates cup.....

I've not ruled out the Europa for next season but the first step is to secure the place through the SC and then it's onwards to the SFA and Uefa.

Don't we need 3 years of published audited financials to get a European license? Which means even if we qualify it is still 2 years away from being able to play in any European tie.

Not sure we could attract either invites from European teams or get them to come to us. But what we do need is games against the premiership teams from Scotland. There is a big step up in the rate of play and we need to get the players ready for that. So games against Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Partick Thistle at Ibrox or recurring bounce games for training at Auchenhowie to bring our players up to speed. Oh and these are the only clubs I would invite. The rest of the Scottish Premier League Clubs can all wither and die.

Wouldn't mind us playing Southampton away in a friendly.

They have played some very good football both defensive and attacking.

More likely to happen that us getting asked by Real Madrid for a friendly.

Would be a good test for us.

I think..........

Well, then it would be good to test them in a match against such opposition and see if they are good enough? no?

as I said no. As it is clear that the vast majority of this squad are not even close enough to play for us in champions league. Surely you can see that without having them play against a top team

Perhaps a few Europa level clubs if we can get any to agree to mid season friendlys,wouldnt want to see us hammered by the likes of Dortmund or Juventus but i could see us doing well against the Lece Poznans and Bragas tbh.

We would of struggled against Braga and possibly Lech Poznan when were in the SPL let alone now

We would of struggled against Braga and possibly Lech Poznan when were in the SPL let alone now

Maybe but our players would be well up for it and it would be a interesting test for guys who would hope to be playing at least Europa League football in a couple of years.

Don't we need 3 years of published audited financials to get a European license? Which means even if we qualify it is still 2 years away from being able to play in any European tie.

Yes those are certainly the regulations but there are all some clauses within the same regs that may allow entry under sporting merit. Uefa also have 11 core values with the number 1 being football first. They say football is a game and a sport before it is a product or a business but we need to get ourselves in a position to put this to a test case. CG also mentioned this in the prospectus. In my opinion it's an outside chance and maybe the question should be asked today at the AGM.