Your starting eleven against Falkirk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had another look at the game and I thought our whole problem stemmed from midfield.

We lost the tempo because we couldn't match Hearts at tackling and a committment to run into open spaces.

Templeton, Black and Law all became transparent because they could not live with the tackling.

Due to the lack of service we had Miller, MacLeod and Boyd all scrambling back to pick up the ball.

We did have maybe 5/6 chances in the first 35 mins. but poor finishing cost us, you would think that might improve as the season goes on.

All the good Rangers teams had an ability to dominate the midfield and win the ball.

I was impressed with Miller's ability to chase, harry and even tackle to regain posession.

With the need to win the ball, feed the strikers and also support the strikers I would play this team ...

Bell

Foster, McCulloch (McGregor), Zaliukas, Smith;

Law, Miller, MacLeod(needs to be central for the splitting passes), Wallace (he bombs up the left anyway and he can tackle);

Clarke (Aird), Boyd

What would it be?

It's pretty clear after yesterday that changes need to be made. The team has no pace, no width and no creativity. It's pretty obvious to everyone that this is because our most creative player is being played out wide, while natural, pacey wingers can't get a game. Meanwhile, our best midfielder is stuck out on the wing.

To fix this problem, one of two things have to happen. Either we have to change our formation to a three in midfield or we have to drop either Law or Black if we are going to play 4-4-2.

With that in mind I would go with the following team:

Bell

Foster

Mohsni

Zaliukas

Wallace

Black

MacLeod

Law

Miller

Boyd

McKay

Or, if we must play 4-4-2:

Bell

Foster

Mohsni

Zaliukas

Wallace

McKay/Aird

Law

MacLeod

Templeton

Miller

Boyd

It really wouldn't surprise me if we go back to a 3-5-2/5-3-2 though.

your 4-4-2 looks like one I defo would go for, but it wont happen, I would love to see mckay and temps get a run of games together.law and macleod going through the middle, I think boyd and miller would get a lot more benefit from it also.why cant mcCoist see its not working. . macleod will also score a few goals through the middle, hes certainly not a wide right player.

No offence to the original OP, but these your team, formation etc. threads really get my back up and are pointless!

We can all talk teams etc. till we are blue in the face, but until the three stooges are removed we are stuck with same abject drivell?

It's time for action to show this board and McCoist that enough is enough!

Why bother coming on the thread then? :lol:

I would be tempted to partner Clark with Miller and Templeton given free reign to roam behind them like Laudrup used to do. And there the comparison ends before anyone says anything.

Foster is a liability at RB but there is no alternative. McCoist surely could see this but went out and brought in 2 strikers and 2 central defenders. One of which he shoehorns in to RB.

McLeod has to play central as he is our only playmaker. Plus he is the only one i see driving at the opposition defence forcing them to commit to tackles in dangerous areas. Not that we can capitalise on them anyway.

Bell

Anyone

Zaliukas

Mohsni

Wallace

McKay

McLeod

Law

Templeton

Miller

Clark

4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 it doesn't really matter to be honest.

I normally don't do these "my team" threads for the simple reason I am reasonably confident that I already know what McCoist will dish up (barring injuries) and it will be nowhere close to mine, but I'm sure my selected midfield would have ripped Hearts a new one on the weekend compared to the one we had.

To be honest I had completely forgotten that Clark still played for us, so that's why he wasn't in my plans. I put Templeton in behind Boyd to suit my 4-4-1-1 because I'm positive we would get more out of Templeton in the 'hole' as opposed to him being played wide where he either gets squeezed out by double stacking defenders or has his legs chopped off resulting in us getting free kicks for Black to fuck up. (if Templeton is going to be chopped down let them do it in front of goal)

I kept Boyd in there simply for the fact that if he gets decent service from the midfield he will score goals.

In the end product, the formation doesn't matter because if you have got guys playing slow ponderous shite in midfield and the wrong tactics, we will struggle.

I'm amazed at how many people have McKay in their teams. He was hardly shit hot when he played last year, and then wasn't good enough for Morton. From what I hear he had a massive attitude problem at Morton by all accounts.

Classic example of a player getting better the longer he is left out

Bell

Foster - Zaliukas - Mohsni - Wallace

Black - McLeod

Aird - Templeton - Gallagher

Miller

Get Law to fuck for a few games. I throw Gallagher in only because there's noone else better than Templeton to play in behind the striker. Our lack of creativity frightens me.