Centre backs at full back

ORCHARD LOYAL

Im sure that we are not the only club that does this but our current manager seems to have inherited this trend for Sir Walter. Im not having a go at ally for this. Possibly there is a shortage of good right backs available at the minute. what is it about this position in the team? I can barely remember the last cracking player @ right back for Rangers since Gary Stevens. Hutton I suppose in the Big Eck era plus Vidmar and Porrini were decent under Advocat, perhaps someone can rejog my memory on a few more. We always have had quality left backs in Wallace, Numan, Sasa Papac, David Robertson etc, Kevin Muscat (joke lol). Remember Bomber playing there too.

Centre backs playing right back from my memory.

Scott Nisbet

Davie McPherson

Kirk Broadfoot

Bob Malcolm

Darren McGregor

Seb Faure

Good shout on Papac. Quality player for Rangers and a loyal servant to the club. Converted to a left back and was smashing. A rare exception of success of a centre back turned full back. Also I remember Craig Moore being really uncomfortable at full back but he was a cracking centre back. Fantastic in the air for his height. Seemmed to have natural spring and read the game well as he was not the quickest. Covered well for the flamboyant Amorouso.

papac is the one that always springs to mind.

I always thought Papac did well enough for a CB playing as a full back , but I never rated him above average unlike Numan , Davie Robertson.

I`d pick Wallace over Papac type player every day of the week as well.Not a criticism of Papac as he always gave 100%.

I always thought Papac did well enough for a CB playing as a full back , but I never rated him above average unlike Numan , Davie Robertson.

I`d pick Wallace over Papac type player every day of the week as well.Not a criticism of Papac as he always gave 100%.

This was something we were chatting about on RangersChat a few nights ago.

We supperters at Rangers were always willing to give average players a chance with us if they gave 100% every game. Someone like Marvin Andrews is the perfect example, he was never any better than an average defender, but his commitment to the cause, and the fact he always tried his heart out meant we both accepted and loved him for it.

This is the problem with our team right now, too many average players, and not enough of them willing to run through brick walls for the honour of wearing our fine colours. That (IMO) is where most of the frustration is coming from, we simply do not want to see our high paid players not trying their arse off. I honestly believe if the team started to show ore heart and will to give 100% every game, we fans would fully get behind them again. When they swan about like they don't give a fuck....its no wonder they are battred from pillar to post on here tbh.

We supperters at Rangers were always willing to give average players a chance with us if they gave 100% every game. Someone like Marvin Andrews is the perfect example, he was never any better than an average defender, but his commitment to the cause, and the fact he always tried his heart out meant we both accepted and loved him for it.

To be honest after reading this, the current player to spring to mind was Nicky Law. Possibly my mind has been clouded by the fact he has a couple of articles in the papers complaining about the fans having ago at the team. U r spot on with this though !

This is the problem with our team right now, too many average players, and not enough of them willing to run through brick walls for the honour of wearing our fine colours. That (IMO) is where most of the frustration is coming from, we simply do not want to see our high paid players not trying their arse off. I honestly believe if the team started to show ore heart and will to give 100% every game, we fans would fully get behind them again. When they swan about like they don't give a fuck....its no wonder they are battred from pillar to post on here tbh.

Spot on with this !

Spot on. (tu)

exactly. I`ve always argued its actually easy to play for us when most people say its hard to play for us.You show commitment and effort and the fans do back you. I never got on big berts case because he never hid and always tried.Sebo tried his heart out and most fans actually wanted him to succeed.

These were example of players who didn`t really play well and in Sebo`s case ,very badly but still got support for trying. Although there has to come a time when you get rid off them. A bit like Ally in that everyone really wanted him to succeed but knowing all along that he`s not got it. Ally is our Sebo manager.

I'm sure Gough was RB with Roberts and Butcher in the middle until bust-ups led to both of them leaving. I think the plan was to have Gough and Butcher at the back, but Butcher got injured vs Aberdeen early in the season, so Roberts and Gough played together. then Butcher left the next year after a silly own goal vs Dundee hibs (going from memory here, may be a little out)

I think part of the reason for us playing likes of Moore, Nisbett, McPherson, etc at fullback was that it was seen as maybe a softer option than centre back to blood young defenders. Still didn't prevent the above-named 'youngsters' getting loads of abuse from the fans.

Sure I read somewhere that Papac switched to LB because he'd had a bad concussion and didn't like sticking the head on the ball anymore, and then even after that he still played a few games at CB for us. Shows his commitment that he'd be willing to put himself at risk for the sake of the team.

edit: quick google and he was in a bad car crash in 2005 that could have ended his career.