Mcdowall- 5 Years To Fix Rangers

Murtaugh

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts have a lot of younger players in their team, but the entire core of the team are players they brought into the club from elsewhere, mainly this Summer and I wouldn't consider any of them to be youths either.

Most weeks they line up with Alexander, Ozturk, Wilson, Gomis, Pallardo, Sow playing down the spine of their team.

What they've shown as much as anything is that if you do your homework and sign players who will fit in and play the correct role in the team, you can quickly build a strong, well functioning team and that's something McCoist simply didn't do.

Hearts have a lot of younger players in their team, but the entire core of the team are players they brought into the club from elsewhere, mainly this Summer and I wouldn't consider any of them to be youths either.

Most weeks they line up with Alexander, Ozturk, Wilson, Gomis, Pallardo, Sow playing down the spine of their team.

What they've shown as much as anything is that if you do your homework and sign players who will fit in and play the correct role in the team, you can quickly build a strong, well functioning team and that's something McCoist simply didn't do.

And double training sessions maybe triple.

Someone could spend £10m on us in the summer and we could try challenge Celtic

spending 10mill is one thing, its paying for that ten mill spend over the course of a season thats another

with a 7mill a year first team wage bill we are still bleeding money, losing just under a mill a month iirc

how do we pay for that, given the lack of fans an ST increase will likely be bummed off

You'll have no chance of fans accepting that. That would be 8 years without a title and those cunts romping to 11 or 12 in a row. Sorry but King would be run out of Ibrox well before then if that was to unfold.

My worry is though that this scenario may well happen naturally regardless of which path we take.

Fans wanting change, stability and a youth development system would be willing to wait. No one gives a fuck about them. It's about us and fixing theproblems that the suits have caused us over the last 3 years.

If the bunch of puddings we have at the moment get promoted, then I think that after getting rid of them, we could win the Premiership NEXT SEASON.

I don't think Celtic are anything to be worried about, they probably have their worst team since the mid 90s at the moment. Celtic are a very ordinary team at the moment. The only concern is they might see that the presence of Rangers in the Premiership would necessitate reinforcing that weak squad. If they keep their current structure on the field, then a half decent Rangers team could beat them to the title.

I'm more worried about the current lot being able to go up than what happens when we get there. Of course, it depends exactly how much King and Co are willing to part with for players. The manager will be hugely important too, of course. I'd prefer to see a non-Scottish manager but I think it'll be McCall to be honest. I just hope that the new board won't be willing to accept second place or worse as the fans won't take that on a prolonged basis. If Celtic win the league this season, we need to put them to sleep ASAP as the thought of them winning 10 in a row virtually unopposed is unthinkable. I just hope that I'm not overestimating what the new board will be willing to spend as the team needs big investment and although it could be possible to bring in decent free signings and a few clever deals in the summer, if we're playing in the Premiership we will need to spend a few million in transfer fees and wages as the current lineup is so threadbare it is almost entirely exposed at times. King and Co should realise that although the fans will probably go back in numbers and the morale and form is likely to pick up somewhat, the fans WILL turn on him if the current sagas continue and the board aren't spending and letting what little in assets we have on the field be further depleted.

One thing I have been thinking about is that I'm pretty sure we can still sign free agents at this stage and it is only paid transfers that are not allowed after the window although I don't think you can register players after a point in March for league games if my understanding of the rules is correct. I have no idea who'd be available but we might be able to get a couple of guys until at least the summer, maybe a couple of castoffs from the English Premier? Could virtually guarantee at least a playoff win if we got a couple of decent guys.

I hope King gets an actual real life manager BEFORE next season too. Kenny McDowell seems in a panic at the touchline all the time as his phone takes a while to get through to Ally McCoist's garden shed to get his opinion on everything before he does anything. That is why he seems to have such a delay in doing anything. If he gets asked his personal opinion on an issue he phones Ally to find the answer. McDowell is a coach and totally hopeless as a manager. Like expecting a Mini to win the Indianapolis 500. It might be OK for going for the messages but not whizzing around at 200mph!

I will repeat though that I actually consider getting promoted this season as more of a potential struggle for us than winning next season's Premiership if they do somehow get up.

Yes the majority of players will be going but do you honestly think we are going to throw millions at building a new team next season?

Where is this vast amount of money coming from?

We need a near new starting 11 and while we have beaten a few top league sides we have also been battered by the majority we faced.

Aberdeen are streets ahead of us while Hearts also seem to destroy us every time we meet and they are a lower league side as it stands.

There is no money in Scottish football, people who invest will get little if anything back at this point so I'm sturggling to see why anyone would fund what we require to be 'back' at the top in 5 years.

Maybe it would have been 5 years had McCoist not made a rip roaring cunt of things and got away with it for 3 years.

Emphatically disagree.

Aberdeen have built a team that have challenged in two years on 300,000 transfer spend.

If Rangers were to spend 3-4 mill each season for next two seasons, augmented by free transfers and youth, there is absolutely no reason we cannot challenge in two years. It may take 3-5 years to have a decent run in Europe

I've read the whole of this thread and there's been some good points and some great ones, as well as some really shite ones. I think I'll stick with my original opinion when I read what McD had to say about it being 5 years. That was utter trash and a disgrace from any Rangers manger, even a stand in like McD.

There are two teams in Scottish football and he seems to think that septic are streets ahead of us, but they're nowhere near that good.

We should be trying to win it as soon as we get up and I don't think that ambition is too much to ask. It may not be realised in our first year up, but I'd be looking to win it in the second year, definitely.

Then again, why are we listening to this idiots shite. He's also said that we can expect a difficult game against Cowden on Saturday. That's the team that just lost 10-0.

What kind of managerial school is that inspiration from.

Oh yeah, the Ally school. Bugger off now Kenny, before you make it 6 years

Nail on head.

We have the best training facilities in the league.

We have the biggest player wages budget in the league.

That's just to name the two most glaringly obvious advantages we have, but this clown is blaming other factors for our dismal performance this season !

It's down to him and his two touch line dud friends that we will have to go back to square one this summer and rebuild the team again.

It'll take time, for sure, but 5 years seems like a stretch too far, it may take 5 years to set up a decent scouting network and see the benefits in or around those 5 years, but, in simple terms, it should take a new gaffer a good preseason and a few months afterwards to get his point accross and improvements to the squad should be there for all to see. We won't have perfected a style of play and be revered the world over for our silky football, but we'd have a system and players would fit around it, simple stuff which, imo, would take little over 6 month.

Hibs, for me, are the best team in the league, and if it wasn't for the drastic change in style from Butcher to Stubbs, they'd have adapted much more easily, if they hit the ground running I reckon we'd be looking at a very different league.

Ifs, buts and maybes, but I'd be amazed if we don't finally see, after x amount of years of doing the wrong things, a new football set up at Murray Park that focuses on development and new, innovative ways to dictate play.

It'll take time, for sure, but 5 years seems like a stretch too far, it may take 5 years to set up a decent scouting network and see the benefits in or around those 5 years, but, in simple terms, it should take a new gaffer a good preseason and a few months afterwards to get his point accross and improvements to the squad should be there for all to see. We won't have perfected a style of play and be revered the world over for our silky football, but we'd have a system and players would fit around it, simple stuff which, imo, would take little over 6 month.

Hibs, for me, are the best team in the league, and if it wasn't for the drastic change in style from Butcher to Stubbs, they'd have adapted much more easily, if they hit the ground running I reckon we'd be looking at a very different league.

Ifs, buts and maybes, but I'd be amazed if we don't finally see, after x amount of years of doing the wrong things, a new football set up at Murray Park that focuses on development and new, innovative ways to dictate play.

Precisely what should have happened 3 years ago. An opportunity lost forever i feel. Once King takes over or we return to the SPFL the fans will demand we sign top players to compete. The vicious circle of pressure and expectation will return probably worse than ever.

I've watched Hibs and Hearts quite a bit and i would say there are a few more flair players in the HIbs team but Hearts are the better overall package.

If by some miracle we do get promotion i just can't see the fans having the patience required to implement the model we both want.

Precisely what should have happened 3 years ago. An opportunity lost forever i feel. Once King takes over or we return to the SPFL the fans will demand we sign top players to compete. The vicious circle of pressure and expectation will return probably worse than ever.

I've watched Hibs and Hearts quite a bit and i would say there are a few more flair players in the HIbs team but Hearts are the better overall package.

If by some miracle we do get promotion i just can't see the fans having the patience required to implement the model we both want.

You may be right (tu) the fans will need to accept a degree of lacklustre games and stuttering performances whilst we build from the ground up. I'd like to think most fans, over the course of McCoists reign, have seen we're living in a dark age, we've had the paitence of saints these last few years with indecisive boards, indifferent boards, badly run boards, badly run training regimes, onerous contracts and so on, what's another year or two of the occasional bad result if it means progress in the larger picture. I'd like to think most fans have seen these last few years as the circus that it was and would accept a Cathro type figure in there, working hard for a year or two, or three or four, to implement his style.

As for the Hibs v Hearts debate, I think Hearts have the bigger and better squad, probably why they've comfortably seen the rest of the league off, I've watched Hearts a few times this year, against us at Ibrox and away, and the derby game with Hibs, among other 10-15 minute spells if they're on the tele and I'm in, and can safely say, any team that I've seen against Hibs this year, Hibs posed a much better footballing threat.

We don't deserve to win this league and, if we win the playoffs, it'll be down to a capitulation in Hibs imo, they've had the beating of us 3 out of 4 games, and in the one game we deserved something, we got beat.

You may be right (tu) the fans will need to accept a degree of lacklustre games and stuttering performances whilst we build from the ground up. I'd like to think most fans, over the course of McCoists reign, have seen we're living in a dark age, we've had the paitence of saints these last few years with indecisive boards, indifferent boards, badly run boards, badly run training regimes, onerous contracts and so on, what's another year or two of the occasional bad result if it means progress in the larger picture. I'd like to think most fans have seen these last few years as the circus that it was and would accept a Cathro type figure in there, working hard for a year or two, or three or four, to implement his style.

As for the Hibs v Hearts debate, I think Hearts have the bigger and better squad, probably why they've comfortably seen the rest of the league off, I've watched Hearts a few times this year, against us at Ibrox and away, and the derby game with Hibs, among other 10-15 minute spells if they're on the tele and I'm in, and can safely say, any team that I've seen against Hibs this year, Hibs posed a much better footballing threat.

We don't deserve to win this league and, if we win the playoffs, it'll be down to a capitulation in Hibs imo, they've had the beating of us 3 out of 4 games, and in the one game we deserved something, we got beat.

The excuse that was always given for not playing more youths was the demands of the fans. They expected Rangers to win the league title and every other cup every year. Something i don't disagree with but perhaps i have a more realistic outlook on things. I recall saying the exact same things way back during the 9 in a row era and during Advocaat's tenure. It was always short termism and nothing was ever put in place for when the money ran out.

Going down to Div 3 was an opportunity lost. McCoist would not have got pilloried to the extent he did had he embarked on a more balanced and pragmatic approach. We only had to win the league title not by a certain margin. Last year epitomised the failure he was when he decided that his personal ego was more important than the development of certain youth players. Wanting to go through a tin pot league undefeated so he would get the plaudits utterly sickened me. I had no time for him as manager right from the start but that decision in my eyes cost us the services of Charlie Telfer.

And going back to Hearts and Hibs. What they both have are squads of young, hungry, talented and eager players. With a sprinkling here and there of experience. No co-incidence they are both flourishing and we are languishing in mediocrity.

There is still a glimmer of hope if changes are made soon. Kenny McDowall is a coach not a manager. I would like to see him return to his forte of coaching our youngsters. Not running it but doing what he does best. If we get a new manager in who has a no nonsense approach and we get the 5 Newcastle lads fit then it may improve things.

Hearts are champions and way out of sight but winning the play offs is still achievable provided changes are made and players get the boot up the arse they deserve.

The excuse that was always given for not playing more youths was the demands of the fans. They expected Rangers to win the league title and every other cup every year. Something i don't disagree with but perhaps i have a more realistic outlook on things. I recall saying the exact same things way back during the 9 in a row era and during Advocaat's tenure. It was always short termism and nothing was ever put in place for when the money ran out.

Going down to Div 3 was an opportunity lost. McCoist would not have got pilloried to the extent he did had he embarked on a more balanced and pragmatic approach. We only had to win the league title not by a certain margin. Last year epitomised the failure he was when he decided that his personal ego was more important than the development of certain youth players. Wanting to go through a tin pot league undefeated so he would get the plaudits utterly sickened me. I had no time for him as manager right from the start but that decision in my eyes cost us the services of Charlie Telfer.

And going back to Hearts and Hibs. What they both have are squads of young, hungry, talented and eager players. With a sprinkling here and there of experience. No co-incidence they are both flourishing and we are languishing in mediocrity.

There is still a glimmer of hope if changes are made soon. Kenny McDowall is a coach not a manager. I would like to see him return to his forte of coaching our youngsters. Not running it but doing what he does best. If we get a new manager in who has a no nonsense approach and we get the 5 Newcastle lads fit then it may improve things.

Hearts are champions and way out of sight but winning the play offs is still achievable provided changes are made and players get the boot up the arse they deserve.

Agree with the part in bold (tu) I've said the same.

Hopefully we all learn from this debacle and move on, King and the new board doubly so.

The fans will hopefully be more open to developing youngsters at the expense of immediate success

The new gaffer will hopefully be a guy open to suggestions and criticism and learn from it.

And the new board will put the clubs infrastructure and development at the top of it's priorities.

Agree with the part in bold (tu) I've said the same.

Hopefully we all learn from this debacle and move on, King and the new board doubly so.

The fans will hopefully be more open to developing youngsters at the expense of immediate success

The new gaffer will hopefully be a guy open to suggestions and criticism and learn from it.

And the new board will put the clubs infrastructure and development at the top of it's priorities.

We could do worse than look at roles for Cathro and Magath for a start. My problem with King is funding it all. I also don't trust the guys ability to run a football club. His main appeal to me is he has some money and is a Rangers man. Beyond that i fear many in our support are building him up to be the messiah and are in for a rude awakening.

And if we don't learn from the last 4 years then quite frankly we don't deserve a Rangers full stop.

We could do worse than look at roles for Cathro and Magath for a start. My problem with King is funding it all. I also don't trust the guys ability to run a football club. His main appeal to me is he has some money and is a Rangers man. Beyond that i fear many in our support are building him up to be the messiah and are in for a rude awakening.

And if we don't learn from the last 4 years then quite frankly we don't deserve a Rangers full stop.

Agreed, not convinced by him, but I see him as the only viable option just now (outwith Sarver)

The board needs to rally the fans imo, the quickest way to pump money in is through ticket sales, King would likely bring back more fans than any of the other options so I'll reserve any judgement until he's in the door and got his feet under the table.

Big changes a foot - one way or the other we should get a clear idication of how he's going to run us at board room level and what his vision is for Rangers on the park with the next managerial appointment.

Agreed, not convinced by him, but I see him as the only viable option just now (outwith Sarver)

The board needs to rally the fans imo, the quickest way to pump money in is through ticket sales, King would likely bring back more fans than any of the other options so I'll reserve any judgement until he's in the door and got his feet under the table.

Big changes a foot - one way or the other we should get a clear idication of how he's going to run us at board room level and what his vision is for Rangers on the park with the next managerial appointment.

What i am worried about is the sheer hypocrisy from the King supporters. And the lack of objectivity to the issues surrounding his takeover and quite frankly amateurish public statements.

I think he and us are in for a rude awakening as Ashley (unfortunately) is going nowhere. And he certainly isn't going to let King have an easy ride after all the things he has said and done.

I'm actually wondering here if King really is as savvy as many like to make him out to be.

However as you rightly said he will probably put bums on seats initially and we need every penny we can get just now.

Commercially yes it will take at least 5 years to equal the tims. Apparently just signed a huge deal with new balance. I'm sure we'll get back there but the club needs long term planning in scouting youth whilst merging your gallaghers and murdochs with good pros to achieve promotion and then hopefully add correctly to get back in Europe win/challenge for league title.