Mark Warburton, Next Manager Odds

UnionMen

I've not bemoaned it once. I pointed out John Hughes can loan players from EPL sides too. It's not really an achievement.

It's not his fault Macleod got injured yet again. It is his fault he signed a player who has now missed around half of each of the last 3 seasons through injury.

Instead of blocking up this thread with us arguing about Warburton, tell me who you'd have instead?

I was one of them. That takes nothing away from his achievements at Everton though.

Far from it. The point about Burley was, there plenty managers who can have one good season and then generally fail virtually everywhere else they go. Burley is a good fit in that category. Moyes done consistently well at Everton and had one, not surprising, howler at United.

Instead of blocking up this thread with us arguing about Warburton, tell me who you'd have instead?

Answered a few posts ago to Compton. I'm not sure in all honesty but if we were to open it up now then, given Warburton has been linked with a number of EPL jobs, we might just be surprised at the interest we receive. I'd rather we took more time and got this right than jumped into bed with the first guy who sniffs about and we go through this all again in 12 months.

I remember being so full of hope when PLG was being rumoured to be coming to Ibrox. It was like all my Christmases had come at once.

So bearing that in mind Warburton and Weir also has me full of hope, but in the back of my mind I have a real worry that it could all go badly wrong.

But they will have pretty much a blank canvas to work with, and Weir knows the club and the standards expected.

Well, the doubt you carry, about any managerial appointment this club makes, is perfectly reasonable to me. If he becomes the manager I will support him 100%, probably just like any other fan will, but he must be the right appointment beyond a shadow of a doubt of the people who will appoint him.

Far from it. The point about Burley was, there plenty managers who can have one good season and then generally fail virtually everywhere else they go. Burley is a good fit in that category. Moyes done consistently well at Everton and had one, not surprising, howler at United.

I get it but it could go either way. There are so many examples of both.

The only way we can judge it is based on his philosophy of the football he wants to play and the players he wants to bring in.

Well, the doubt you carry, about any managerial appointment this club makes, is perfectly reasonable to me. If he becomes the manager I will support him 100%, probably just like any other fan will, but he must be the right appointment beyond a shadow of a doubt of the people who will appoint him.

It would literally be impossible to remove all doubt that's not what football is.

I'd prefer to see a more experienced Manager, With more success under his belt.

A rookie Manager is not what we need at this time, he would be okay to coach the youth sides though.

:lol: Fuck sake. Come on Smile this is you trolling.

It would literally be impossible to remove all doubt that's not what football is.

From the Board's perspective they have to fully invest in the guy, not just in monetary terms, but in commitment when times get tough, and looking at his plans for the squad etc. I hope we have a manager not to win the championship, but to win the SPL within a certain space of time. This league should have been a mere stepping stone this season, I hope that is what it becomes next season.

Everyone talks about PLG, but really he actually didn't do that bad. We still finished 2nd did we not, in his first season in charge.

People didn't like him because he was outed by the team, and tried to change the whole "jobs for the boys" act. Honestly think if PLG had been given longer, we'd have seen something big from him. Unfortunately he was hounded.

Everyone talks about PLG, but really he actually didn't do that bad. We still finished 2nd did we not, in his first season in charge.

People didn't like him because he was outed by the team, and tried to change the whole "jobs for the boys" act. Honestly think if PLG had been given longer, we'd have seen something big from him. Unfortunately he was hounded.

No he walked 5 months in. Walter got us to second

From the Board's perspective they have to fully invest in the guy, not just in monetary terms, but in commitment when times get tough, and looking at his plans for the squad etc. I hope we have a manager not to win the championship, but to win the SPL within a certain space of time. This league should have been a mere stepping stone this season, I hope that is what it becomes next season.

Agree with all that. The signings need to be the basis for a Premiership winning side with a few quality additions when we go up.

Aye Walter got us second. I remember the period when PLG was in charge and hated pretty much all of it.

I remember PLG's first game, Motherwell (ironically enough) at Fir Park. They gave us three stands that day. I was behind the goal in the David Cooper stand. We won 2-1. We were brilliant at times, and I thought to myself, this is it Rangers. This is what I've wanted for years.

6 months later I'd have told you to do one if you told me we'd be in a European final a year and a half later.

I remember PLG's first game, Motherwell (ironically enough) at Fir Park. They gave us three stands that day. I was behind the goal in the David Cooper stand. We won 2-1. We were brilliant at times, and I thought to myself, this is it Rangers. This is what I've wanted for years.

6 months later I'd have told you to do one if you told me we'd be in a European final a year and a half later.

We pumped them that day and the media were creaming themselves about how we played. Pitty it was awful for the next 5months :lol:

We pumped them that day and the media were creaming themselves about how we played. Pitty it was awful for the next 5months :lol:

A Sionko and Buffel masterclass in attacking football...

Don't see much mention to the fact that this would also include big Davie Weir. Proven leader, and a central figure in the last successful period we had. Knows the Scottish game, what it means to play for Rangers, and the mentality needed to win and preform consistently.

Warburton come from a youth football coaching background, which is a big plus. He is also a highly intelligent man, having made a fortune as a trader in the city before taking up coaching. A lot of the reason we are in this current position is due to previous managements inability to make properly analyse, and make the correct decision. Give me the Thinker over the Joker running my club, and planning for the future, every day of the week. He's no risen from no where to almost getting Brentford out of the Championship by accident, there has got to be something special about the guy.

Article re:Warburton....

A career change in your 40s is a bold move, but leaving a job as a city trader to become a football coach is an unusual step.

For Mark Warburton, who left the City to join Watford's youth set-up, the move has eventually paid off.

Appointed as manager of Brentford last month, the 51-year old has won all six of his matches in charge and his side currently sit top of the League One table.

"It was a huge risk at the time and people thought I was crazy," Warburton told BBC London 94.9.

"Your wife thinks you have gone insane and so do your mates. For me I sit there sometimes and pinch myself.

Mark Warburton

Began career as an apprentice at Leicester

Spent majority of playing days with non-league side Enfield FC

Worked in the City of London as a trader following retirement

Moved back into football with Watford in the mid-2000s, eventually becoming academy manager

Joined Brentford as interim first-team coach in February 2011

Became sporting director that summer after Uwe Rosler appointed manager

Co-founder of the NextGen Series, a knock-out competition for European club's youth series

Appointed Brentford boss in December 2013

Won League One manager of the month award for December

"You get to a certain age and you think 'can I transfer my skills?' It was a 90% pay cut to go and join Watford and work my way through their academy.

"I had to give it a go. That's why it's not heroic in any way.

"It was a risk, a gamble, and I was convinced I could achieve something in football."

After beginning his career as a trainee at Leicester City, Warburton spent the bulk of his playing days with non-league Enfield, during which time he began working as a trader in the City of London.

He retained a passion for football which he indulged by coaching during spells working in Chicago, North Carolina and the Far East.

He met current Brentford owner Matthew Benham while working in the City and latterly coached at Clement Danes School in Watford alongside his job.

After attaining his coaching badges, he left his job in the City in the early 2000s and travelled around Europe, watching training sessions at Sporting Lisbon, Ajax, Valencia and Barcelona.

Warburton took a job in Watford's coaching set-up, working with the under-nines to under-16s, and eventually rose to become academy manager in 2006 before leaving the Hornets in February 2010.

A year later he was appointed first-team coach at Brentford, working alongside then-manager Nicky Forster, following the departure of Andy Scott.

He applied for the manager's job that summer but missed out to Uwe Rosler and subsequently took on the role of sporting director, with his responsibilities including player recruitment and overseeing the academy.

Away from Griffin Park, Warburton was the co-founder of the NextGen Series, a Champions League-style tournament for the academy teams of elite European sides.

But when Rosler left west London to join Wigan in December, Warburton was appointed Brentford boss and inherited the country's form team, with seven wins from eight league outings.

He has continued that trend, helping him to win the League One manager of the month award for December, and giving him the best start of any Brentford manager in the club's 125-year history.

Mark Warburton (right) and Trevor Savage of Enfield FC

Mark Warburton (right) during his playing days with Enfield FC in the 1980s

"I know the playing squad very well and am a familiar face on the training ground, not a stranger coming in," he said.

"That really helped the transition.

"The fact of the matter is what do the players need?

"They are in a good position, did really well last year and just missed out - by fractions as we all know.

"There wasn't massive surgery required to the squad here. For me it was a bit of self-belief.

"We have some real good young attacking talent, some hungry players and experience as well. I think it is a better blend this year.

"What I have tried to do is let them play and then if we lose the ball, do our jobs quickly, get the ball back and look to play again.

"Touch wood it has worked quite well so far."

The Bees, beaten play-off finalists last season, are looking to return to the second tier for the first time since 1992-93, which was their sole campaign outside the bottom two divisions since 1954.

Warburton has brought in former Sheffield United manager David Weir as his assistant, while former Liverpool academy boss Frank McParland has filled his previous role as sporting director.

Midfielder Sam Saunders has been a central part of Warburton's side since his appointment in December.

Analysis

Billy Reeves, BBC London 94.9 Brentford reporter

"Mark Warburton was the obvious replacement for Uwe Rosler as he had brought in most of the players.

"It was no surprise that he was given the job, but he swiftly made it his own, bringing in David Weir as his number two and Frank McParland as his sporting director.

"He has tweaked the playing style to be slightly more cavalier. Mark is keen to say he wants to play entertaining, attacking football.

"The formation has stayed 4-1-2-3 with a deep-lying midfielder protecting the back four, which leaves lots of work for the two old-fashioned wing-halves.

"We will only really find out what Warburton and Weir are made of when the team are defeated.

"But at the moment there's no sign of it. There's also a certain steel and aggression which may be the missing link from last year."

Mostly used as a substitute by Rosler, the 30-year-old has started four of Brentford's last six games. He has scored four goals so far under Warburton, form which helped him win the League One player of the month award for December.

"Mark has tweaked it slightly," Saunders told BBC London 94.9. "He likes to go a bit more of an attacking route and lets his front five go and create stuff.

"I love that and thrive on being creative. He has got his ways.

"Mark knew all the players, as with Uwe and Matthew Benham he helped bring them in.

"He knows the players inside out and that was Matthew's thinking of bringing him in. He must think this management lark is easy. He has been fantastic.

"A few eyebrows were raised when he got the job but so far it looks like a great acquisition."

For Warburton, there are many similarities between working in the City and in football.

"People don't see it; small teams, communication is important, highly competitive, good rewards if you do well, fairly short career span in certain cases," he said.

"The more I look at it the more I realise the points of similarity are too numerous to mention.

"There are long hours. In the City I was up at half four in the morning, in the office at quarter to six, getting home at half seven and phone calls through the night.

"You go and work in an academy and you are working seven days a week, 90 hours a week for one tenth of the pay."

The path to a possible promotion with Brentford is just beginning but for Warburton, his gamble to change careers is starting to pay off.

"I have to thank my family for letting me do it," he added. "I am not going to say anything other than I am thoroughly enjoying myself.