How Would You Spend Transfer Kitty?

kris1984

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be tempted to go for Sam Ricketts who's out of contract at Wolves and finished last season on loan at League 1 Swindon if his demands aren't too excessive.

He's maybe 33 now but we have be realistic, there's no way every player we sign is going to be some young prospect who we will hope to sell on further down the road.

Jackett has said he thinks Ricketts could play until he's 40 so his fitness isn't an issue, he's still an international with Wales, he can play anywhere across the back four and he's a leader too.

Bring him in and we have an experienced head in the backline and a guy who could instantly be named club captain.

I'd be tempted to go for Sam Ricketts who's out of contract at Wolves and finished last season on loan at League 1 Swindon if his demands aren't too excessive.

He's maybe 33 now but we have be realistic, there's no way every player we sign is going to be some young prospect who we will hope to sell on further down the road.

Jackett has said he thinks Ricketts could play until he's 40 so his fitness isn't an issue, he's still an international with Wales, he can play anywhere across the back four and he's a leader too.

Bring him in and we have an experienced head in the backline and a guy who could instantly be named club captain.

He came on after like 5 mins in the League 1 playoff didn't he?

Pretty sure he was ran ragged that day by Beckford, but definitely the type of signing we need back there.

Going to go for the cheap end of things, and I think there's a lot to be gained by plundering England's lower leagues.

Dean Furman -Doncaster - Free (I think he'd be a fantastic signing, a leader on the pitch and a tough tackling CM who can still play football)

Simeon Jackson - Coventry - Free (A strong, fast and hard working forward who does a lot in creating space for the rest of the team, would be like Kenny Miller but still good)

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas - Bristol City - Free (Just seeing that he's been linked to QPR, may not be a feasible signing. Hopefully he'd choose the right Rangers though)

Carlos Cuellar - Free

With the team being something like this:

Bell

McGregor (As right-sided Papac)

Cuellar

Gasparotto

Wallace

Murdoch

Furman

Emmanuel-Thomas

Law (I know, I know, but I'm certain there's a good player in there somewhere though.)

Walsh

Jackson

I'd probably sign a right back too but I couldn't really think of any, maybe give Sinnamon a shot there. I'd mostly promote youth players for cover, with the possible addition of a couple of more experienced cheap free transfers to bolster the ranks. I'd re-sign Faure as well, because I liked him when he did play at centre half. Would sign Stevie May if he was available as well.

He came on after like 5 mins in the League 1 playoff didn't he?

Pretty sure he was ran ragged that day by Beckford, but definitely the type of signing we need back there.

It maybe doesn't have to be him but I think a young team could really benefit from having a couple of experienced heads around the squad (even though people on here hate the idea of anybody over 30 signing for us).

You tend to get a lot of players who fit that mould down South so hopefully whoever is in charge is already doing their homework so we can find a couple of them.

It maybe doesn't have to be him but I think a young team could really benefit from having a couple of experienced heads around the squad (even though people on here hate the idea of anybody over 30 signing for us).

You tend to get a lot of players who fit that mould down South so hopefully whoever is in charge is already doing their homework so we can find a couple of them.

Definitely completely agree.

Experience is just as important as youth for us this season.

I know a few Hertz fans that are unhappy they're letting Eckersley go. Didn't see much of him last season though. How would you guys feel about getting him as a squad man?

I'd have him as first choice left back if Wallace was sold on.

I'd have him as first choice left back if Wallace was sold on.

If Wallace is really on £15k I'd offer Eckersley £3k and take whatever we could get for Wallace in the transfer market. Free up funds/wages for the CB and RB we need.

Why do you rate McGowan so highly. Has he not been absolutely dreadful for Dundee Utd since he joined them?

He was a very good player at Hearts. I haven't watched him since then so I'm sure you're correct about him being dreadful.

That is a great shout.

Can play right and left back, is a decent centre half and has captained virtually every side he has played for.

That is a great shout.

Can play right and left back, is a decent centre half and has captained virtually every side he has played for.

I think we are crying out for a bit of leadership without breaking the bank and he seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Wolves absolutely cruised to the title with him as the captain of what was a fairly young team. If we are looking to do something similar then I think we could do a lot worse than ask if he fancies it because if he stays in England it looks like he's at that stage where he will only start dropping down the leagues now.

GK

Bell, Kelly and New?

RB

Sinnamon and New?

CB

McG, Gasporroto and New? x 2

LB

Wallace and New?

CM

Murdoch, Law, Crawford, Shiels, New DM?, New AM?

Wide

Temps(Sell), Walsh, Aird, Mckay and New?

CF

Miller, Clark, Gallagher, Hardie and New?

I know a lot of people won't think this as a priority, however, a new GK is essential for me.

We are really unfortunate, in that Bell's length of contract is starting to seem like a perhaps overlooked cock-up. He may have been coming back from injury, however, the circus juggling act for their opening goal in the PO final is bordering on one of the worst attempts at goalkeeping I've ever seen. It would have been hilarious had it happened to anyone else and wasn't so fucking gut wrenching.

I'd punt him for buttons, although, I dare say we'd struggle to get him off to another club willing to take the wage; didn't exactly put himself in the shop window with that howler. That one aside, he's been absolutely horrible since coming back. He couldn't command a tea-party - never been his strength - but he's looked even worse this season and you genuinely feel an opposition goal could be coming at any minute.

So, if he's going to remain, and I dare say first choice barring a spectacular meltdown at the start of the season, we need a very able keeper who doesn't mind playing second fiddle initially, and perhaps fancies his chances of pushing for the starting jersey.

Ok I'll bite, the parts in bold my friend, help me understand this as it's popular belief on here;

[*]Why is Scott Allan an absolute priority?

Allan is an absolute priority because one of our biggest problems last season was creativity; nothing we do or did was intentional and deliberate. Allan is a creative midfielder and demonstrated that against us on numerous occasssions.

His Player of the Year award emphasises that.

[*]Is there not a free's and loans market that could match his ability and should we not look for the best value option?

There probably is, yes. Have you been monitoring it, though? No-one at the club seems to have been, considering our lack of activity and a scouting structure.

Allan is proven; we've faced him enough this season and watched him dominate enough fixtures to justify an investment, twice over.

[*]Some on here belief Allan is worth us paying 500k for currently,...do you share that belief? If yes why? He was free how many months ago and went to Hibs and has had 1 good season in the Scottish Championship, what am I missing? If no how much would you pay for him?

I would be more than comfortable with the club paying £500K for Scott Allan, absolutely.

I don't care how much or how little he cost Hibs; he joined them with minimal experience, but a great education at a Premier League club and, hypothetically speaking, will leave them as the best player in the division.

[*]Charlie Adam scored the winner against Stuttgart in Europe for us and mere months later we couldn't offload his for a few-100k to Blackpool without loaning him there first, is Allan better than Charlie Adam and if not, does talk of bending over backwards and chucking money at him not concern you with all things at our club in recent times considered?

I don't understand what Charlie Adam has to do with this discussion. I appreciate what you're saying, Stuttgart and Blackpool, but what has that got to do with Allan?

We wouldn't need to break the bank for him, but if he's valued at £500K as suggested, then I would be comfortable with it. I believe that would be the upper end of our spending this summer.

Genuinely wanting to hear the thinking behind this bandwagon, any other points you have on him that won't be addressed by answering my questions, please feel free to add them.

My suspicion is that Allan is overrated, will come undone against any half decent defender and he's merely the talk of our support because they've seen him a few times in which they chose to ignore the game where he was so deep in McGregor's pocket that he was close to doing a Mohsni and getting sent off. Further to that, McGregor is not a great defender and he was playing out of position.

You can't have seen us playing Hibs this season, absolutely no chance.

If Warburton gets the job would be good to see Pritchard come up on loan from Spurs for a year with a view to a permanent deal if he enjoyed his spell.

Played under Warburton last season at Brentford and was the standout player. Doubt very much he will be in the Spurs starting eleven come the start of the season.

If Warburton gets the job would be good to see Pritchard come up on loan from Spurs for a year with a view to a permanent deal if he enjoyed his spell.

Played under Warburton last season at Brentford and was the standout player. Doubt very much he will be in the Spurs starting eleven come the start of the season.

would love it but a whole host of clubs playing in better leagues, paying more money will be looking at him