Why Did Brentford Decide To Let W&w Go?

Del

Before I go any further I am delighted that they are in charge but I cant help but think if they done such a good job then why did Brentford let them go. *tin hat on*

I done some digging and found the following articles about the Brentford chairman Matthew Benham and his "football method".

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham

http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/thepateam/moneyball-matthew-benham-brentford-fc-unorthodox-quest-success/

Both of them are worth reading, even if Warburton wasnt about to become our next manager, but it seems to me like the success of Brentford might not all have been down the manager.

I hope they come in and get is playing good football and winning trophies again but I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Must admit I skim read that however is it not saying that MW unwillingness to move towards that model is the issue thus the credit does sit with him (and his team) for what has already been and gone?

I will read in full later.

Before I go any further I am delighted that they are in charge but I cant help but think if they done such a good job then why did Brentford let them go. *tin hat on*

I done some digging and found the following articles about the Brentford chairman Matthew Benham and his "football method".

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matt

http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/thepateam/moneyball-matthew-benham-brentford-fc-unorthodox-quest-success/

Both of them are worth reading, even if Warburton wasnt about to become our next manager, but it seems to me like the success of Brentford might not all have been down the manager.

I hope they come in and get is playing good football and winning trophies again but I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

The system that Benham wants to introduce to Brentford is the one he put in place at Middtjylland and Warburton told Benham that he couldn't work that way. While he respects that Benham has put the money in he wasn't comfortable with the additional reliance on statistics to find players. The decision to leave was, genuinely, mutual both sides continue to have the utmost respect for each other.

What Warburton has done is introduce a brand of football that most Brentford fans haven't ever seen their team play. Using a combination of young players and shrewd operation in the loan market (their player of the year was a loanee from Spurs) he has got Brentford batting above their weight. That has little to do with the method you allude to in the links but everything to do with attention to detail and genuine management of the players. It will be a culture shock to those still here but they will have the choice to adapt or leave. The reaction of Brentfords players when they scored after they heard he was leaving says much about him as a manager.

258C585400000578-2957365-image-a-97_1424

Yeah, Ted Knutson is the analyctics guy both fc midtjylland and brentford hired to crunch alot of the numbers. Been a big follower of his for a while, has been spot on over the last few years with league and player predictions.

I think we should all be happy that whatever they bring next season it will be different from what we've had to endure this season. It's not feasibly possible for it to be worse and I for one fully expect us to get promotion. They will be under enormous pressure to ensure that. I hope their contract terms reflect that.

New players coming in....weh hey!!

Warburton was working behind the scenes at Brentford since 2011 as coach, assistant manager and then sporting director. To try and diminish the influence he had at Brentford is disingenuous at best.

I am not trying to do that at all mate.

It just that with everything that has happened over the past few years this seems to good to be true :lol:

Or it could just be a coincidence

I would be inclined to believe that to be honest, good players and tactics win football games, obviously he's made a lot of money with his statistics for betting purposes and I can see how you could use a teams recent statistics and form to win at the bookies, but to implement signings and future tactics, as your base model for management for me is madness as it simply doesn't work that way.

As was said in the thread earlier it will be interesting to see how Brentdord fare next season under such a system but it's easy to see why Warburton didn't fancy it.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham

Just read both of them there. Can't see anything that implies Brentfords success isn't down to Warburton. The owner may be a big fan of stats but Warburton still picked the team and tactics, lead the training and motivated the players.

It's also quite clear that he left Brentford due to him and the owner disagreeing over the statistical method. There is nothing more to it

So by reading these two articles, one poster feels that Warburton does not deserve credit for Brentford's success? 44% chance of Brentford making promotion for the Championship under the owners stats, yet the manager made it happen. In Benham's world of stats and luck, that was MW being very lucky - I do not believe in luck over a full season!