Reflections

D'Artagnan

It was a familiar routine. With wife, and soulmate of lifetime retired to her bed, George knew the protocol. However this evening would provide a slight deviation from the norm.

He broke the virginity of the Macallan 43 malt, with a respectful nod to acknowledge the craft and expertise of the “alchemist”. A handful of ice cubes into the crystal glass laid the foundations of a simple, yet unbeatable combination.

He shuffled, assisted by his Prestige walking stick, over to the bottom drawer of the cabinet in “Georges Room” and from there he withdrew a simple cardboard box, designed to protect against the ravages of time. From within said box he then removed an old scrapbook carefully and expensively encased and preserved within a Melinex protective cover. Some things are valuable, but memories nonetheless are priceless.

Opening the first page the image of Harold Davis stares back at him. It is of course deliberate, and one hopes future generations of George’s family will realise the significance of Harold’s place in that scrapbook. A man who overcame the odds to achieve greatness, those odds skewed against him due to service to his country, yet who still managed to encompass everything pulling on a light blue jersey encompasses. Sometimes the word “Legend”, quite simply, isn’t enough.

The following pages are testament to our greatness, stilled images of history which have resulted in anything but stilled celebration. The Caldow penalty against England, Brand , McMillan and Wilson, the strike of the Super Dane (Pre-Laudrup!) which lifted the Scottish Cup in 66, and the wonder of “Slim Jim”, a 16 year old ending a 4 year famine in the League Cup Final, Barcelona , Wee bud sitting on the ball, the dunes of Gullane when “character” and “determination” were our watchword, the magic show which was Davie Cooper, the Souness revolution, the Prince of Denmark (“Brian, why are you so good? [copyright Jim White]) 9 in a row, the pages are endless, and apologies to those which have been skipped over such as the spirit of the Rangers team which came back from 2 down at Hampden to scupper Wuilie Pettigrew’s dream.

The latter part of the scrapbook is not quite so reminiscent or enjoyable however. Images of Craig Whyte, his catastrophic reign, and our subsequent treatment at the hands of others adorn the pages. One wonders why this period of our history should be kept rather than ignored.

Because adversity and willingness to overcome insurmountable odds reveals the true character of the Rangers support. “No Surrender” is much more than just a match day historical soundbite – rather it is given both legitimacy and credibility by our willingness to refuse to succumb in the face of adversity.

The pictures in the latter of part of the scrapbook show Sandy Jardine rallying the troops on the march to Hampden, newspapers cutting displaying our ability to sell out stadiums even in the lowest of divisions, our capability to cause the cancellations of matches in our desire to “follow follow”.

Broadcasters such as Adrian Durham don’t talk about regimes – instead they gaze in wonder at a support who refuse to give up on the club they love. Just to clarify, because it really, really is important, that’s people like you and me they are talking about.

When we were down we found few (if any allies) but our unconditional love for a club called Rangers caused us to rally round her. We defied the odds, we defied the sceptics, we defied those who hate us and conspire against us, but most importantly we achieved this alone without the help of others. Other than truth and justice courtesy of the courts this has very much been a lone sojourn for the Rangers support.

We really need to move on in order to effectively tackle the real enemies of our club. We need to overcome the angst of “boycotter” versus “non boycotter” and recognise ourselves as one support with different viewpoints who all had the best interests of the club at heart. Because believe you me neither the boycotter nor the non-boycotter would wish to see our club dead. But our enemies would.

As George turns the final pages of his scrapbook and sips the last of his Macallan, the closing page shows a newspaper cutting from yesteryear, where the great William Struth castigates the Ibrox kit man, after the latter suggested, if necessary, we could borrow from our opponents that day – Clyde – should the need arise. There then followed a stern lecture on how Rangers should and never will rely upon others for their survival.

If we are to be self-sufficient and reliant on no-one to ensure our survival, then at the very least we need to be united in purpose. If you don’t believe me, at the very least trust our guiding forefather.

When I grow up I want to be like D'Art.

Because adversity and willingness to overcome insurmountable odds reveals the true character of the Rangers support. No Surrender is much more than just a match day historical soundbite rather it is given both legitimacy and credibility by our willingness to refuse to succumb in the face of adversity.

The experience of the last few years has shown our colours. We need to ensure that spirit that refused to give up on Rangers is never lost.

(tu)

For our club to come from such a wee country it never ceases to amaze me when I recall our pilgrimage to Manchester. We'll never know how many travelled that day but though I never take being a bear for granted that was the day I cherish most because we were at our best and what a force we are . Though the streets be broad or narrow

It's feelin like there is a more togetherness recently. With a settled boardroom and the positivity surrounding our new management team, it feels like the fans are pulling together again for the next stage of our journey. Being a bear "No Surrender" isn't a buzz phrase, it's a way of life.

It's feelin like there is a more togetherness recently. With a settled boardroom and the positivity surrounding our new management team, it feels like the fans are pulling together again for the next stage of our journey. Being a bear "No Surrender" isn't a buzz phrase, it's a way of life.

This.

Get a couple of signings right, and we could ignite the blue touch paper.

Fantastic, as always D'Art.....God, I could sink a single malt to that!

After reading that, I got quite emotional & felt I had to say a wee bit.

The first Rangers game I ever attended was in season 1977-78. It was against Clydebank. I'd be lying if I said what game it was, either the October game or the February game, just always remember it was that season & that it pissed down for most of the game. I was 10 years old & along with 2 of my school friends, went down "The Toll" in Bonnybridge, got some sweets & jumped on the Camelon supporters bus when it stopped in Bonnybridge. I sound like an old saddo, but it really was in better & safer times, you left your house in the morning & returned home at night & your parents didn't have a second thought for your safety. It was just taken, you were ok. Anyway, up at Ibrox, off the bus, & we paid to get in & stood right down the front of the Copland terrace in the pissing rain. Like I said, I can't remember what game it was, but we did win. (First game was 4-1, second was 1-0) That was it, I was then a Rangers fan for life.

I went to just about every game I could, along with my pals, but wasn't allowed to aberdeen, as the bus either stayed up overnight, or it left late (at least that's what I was told) & by the time I did get to go up there, the bus would just leave after the game. I kept on going to as many games as I could, though being unemployed for a while restricted the amount of games I could get to. As I got older I stopped going, as we were saving up to get married & to get a mortgage for a house, then my son came along & there was always something else for money to be spent on.

I'd attend the odd pre season friendly, & eventually took my son to his first Rangers game in 2007, which was the Rangers 9 in a row team v scottish league select. He was only 3 & wouldn't sit still. Luckily my 2 wee nieces were with us, so they kept him occupied,lol. I took him up to some pre season friendlies, but that was about it.

Then the worst happened. I think enoughs been written about that, but when we were shafted & put into the 3rd division, I thought, if I can't go & support my team in their hour of need, when will I ever go back. So ever since then, we've been back watching Rangers, me & my son. We only go to the home games, as I can't bring myself to give money to those w**kers who wanted us to die. Maybe I will mellow when we get back where we belong, but until then, it's home games only.

It's like what D'Art says above, this club gets into your blood. I couldn't believe how I felt at times this season during the playoffs. I was sitting like a wee boy waiting for christmas, waiting for the hiv's game, them the well game too. I'm sitting even now, can't wait for the season to kick off again. The things this club does to you, even when we're playing shit.

It has been tough watching some of the football on show over the past few years, there have been some really shit games, but there has been the odd good game as well. There probably still will be some shit games, but hopefully, this is us, on our way back. But no matter what, we'll stand by our club through thick & thin, through the good times & the bad.

Because, we're not just any club. We're not just supporters. We are a family. We are the people. We are.......Rangers.

The first Rangers game I ever attended was in season 1977-78. It was against Clydebank. I'd be lying if I said what game it was, either the October game or the February game, just always remember it was that season & that it pissed down for most of the game. I was 10 years old & along with 2 of my school friends, went down "The Toll" in Bonnybridge, got some sweets & jumped on the Camelon supporters bus when it stopped in Bonnybridge. I sound like an old saddo, but it really was in better & safer times, you left your house in the morning & returned home at night & your parents didn't have a second thought for your safety. It was just taken, you were ok. Anyway, up at Ibrox, off the bus, & we paid to get in & stood right down the front of the Copland terrace in the pissing rain. Like I said, I can't remember what game it was, but we did win. (First game was 4-1, second was 1-0) That was it, I was then a Rangers fan for life.

I went to just about every game I could, along with my pals, but wasn't allowed to aberdeen, as the bus either stayed up overnight, or it left late (at least that's what I was told) & by the time I did get to go up there, the bus would just leave after the game. I kept on going to as many games as I could, though being unemployed for a while restricted the amount of games I could get to. As I got older I stopped going, as we were saving up to get married & to get a mortgage for a house, then my son came along & there was always something else for money to be spent on.

I'd attend the odd pre season friendly, & eventually took my son to his first Rangers game in 2007, which was the Rangers 9 in a row team v scottish league select. He was only 3 & wouldn't sit still. Luckily my 2 wee nieces were with us, so they kept him occupied,lol. I took him up to some pre season friendlies, but that was about it.

Then the worst happened. I think enoughs been written about that, but when we were shafted & put into the 3rd division, I thought, if I can't go & support my team in their hour of need, when will I ever go back. So ever since then, we've been back watching Rangers, me & my son. We only go to the home games, as I can't bring myself to give money to those w**kers who wanted us to die. Maybe I will mellow when we get back where we belong, but until then, it's home games only.

It's like what D'Art says above, this club gets into your blood. I couldn't believe how I felt at times this season during the playoffs. I was sitting like a wee boy waiting for christmas, waiting for the hiv's game, them the well game too. I'm sitting even now, can't wait for the season to kick off again. The things this club does to you, even when we're playing shit.

It has been tough watching some of the football on show over the past few years, there have been some really shit games, but there has been the odd good game as well. There probably still will be some shit games, but hopefully, this is us, on our way back. But no matter what, we'll stand by our club through thick & thin, through the good times & the bad.

Because, we're not just any club. We're not just supporters. We are a family. We are the people. We are.......Rangers.

Mac I think I was also at yer first game - was that 3-3 ame at Ibrox when Coop ran amok with our defence ?

Mac I think I was also at yer first game - was that 3-3 ame at Ibrox when Coop ran amok with our defence ?

Just googled it mate, the 3-3 game was the 76-77 season. I think that was the game that got Davie Cooper signed to us. I actually had to search to see what game it was I was at. I always remembered it was the 77-78 season, cos that was the first year I ever collected paninni stickers. I mind my mate buying a pack of stickers that very day & getting 2 Rangers players in it & he gave them to me to stick on the front of my Rangers "tammy". I know, my mind if full of shit. My wife allways says to me, that if she was to ask me something I did over 30 years ago, I could tell her, but when I go to the shop for something, I'm on the phone to her 5 minutes later asking her what I was to get. I keep telling her though, you never forget the Rangers :D

Good read m8 ,I've got a similar story to yours and am now sharing the journey with my 14 yr old . No matter our age it'll always be Rangers First.