Barry Ferguson

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a wank.

This, was having drinks in the beardmore hotel in Clydebank years ago the night before an old firm game, some wank set the fire alarm off and it turned out that The Rangers team were staying at the hotel, anyways all the players were great...signing autographs and getting pictures taking apart from that wee scrotum who was rude and obnoxious to fellow bears!

This, was having drinks in the beardmore hotel in Clydebank years ago the night before an old firm game, some wank set the fire alarm off and it turned out that The Rangers team were staying at the hotel, anyways all the players were great...signing autographs and getting pictures taking apart from that wee scrotum who was rude and obnoxious to fellow bears!

This I can believe, when we used to wait after the games when we were younger he was always the one that would try sneak out the back way to avoid folk, or would sign stuff as he walked. Never seemed to have much time for the fans. That's the main downside to him in my eyes.

Great player. Was gutted when he left. Unfortunately the way he left for Blackburn and the PLG fiasco blotted his copybook but he certainly deserves his place in the Hall of Fame unlike many of those who are in it.

pre Blackburn done the business more often than not. post Blackburn let himself and the club down more often than not and the plg stuff didn't help him. overall no more than an a good player but never a great when you compare him to the top in Europe in his day and some of the greats we have had over the years.

I thought Rangers were a better team when he left in 2009,Steve Davis playing through the middle was probably the difference in us winning the league that year and later that same year Pedro Mendes made the midfield even better.

I liked Ferguson but thought he was a wee bit over rated especially in his second spell after his initial impact.

Ned and embarrassment

Sorry to burst yer bubble but there it is

Really? I know he let himself down a bit on the latter stages of his career with us, but he was one of our best players before he went to Blackburn and held his own when he came back. Was also a standout at Blackpool in his twilight years with them. Bit harsh to say he was an embarasment

At his best he was far from out of place amongst the best midfielders of his era, which he proved on numerous occasions. His career never really had a chance to kick-on in England before the knee injury got him. After that he was still a very good player but seldom hit the same level as before.

He's our Paul McStay.

If he was that good he'd not have played for Blackburn and Birmingham and Blackpool. He'd have been snapped up by Chelsea or Real Madrid.

A good player in a poor Scottish league and a journeyman EPL player.

That's all he will ever be.

Outstanding when he 1st broke through. His grit carried us 1 full season. On his day he was amazing and he really could mix it with the better midfielders in Europe watch him v bayern and mattheus. ( It would be fair to say he was truly outplayed by arteta and mendieta) I remember thinking for large periods he was overrated by our fans and felt frustrated at the influence he had on some of our other players that maybe couldn't handle the pressure of playing for Rangers. I understand this was only because he was a winner but it made players most notably Namouchi just crumble on the park when a encouragement may have helped more. His possession play was great and frustrating in equal measures. He was a great player for us but personally I would say van bronkhorst and Gazza were better midfielders. On a par with arteta, his determination was second to none. He may have done a few stupid things but I wouldn't accuse him of being a ned.

Embarrassment how!? He might have been a ned when he was younger but surely deserves credit for turning into a leader of our most talented team in decades? And I'd argue that 'ned' mentality gave him the edge to his game he needed to mix it with the best in Europe!?

Nearly all football players have the ned mentality when they are young, they would not survive this enviroment otherwise.

Derek was just coming into his own when Souness arrived you would have thought that would have been the making of him like Durrant.

Always though Derek was a fantastic talent shame he never really got his priorities right at the time.

Always felt the same on Charlie miller he had everything but let it slide.

I'm pretty sure this was Wee Barry's Scotland Youth Top - signed by his own heroes...

Scotland_Shirt_zpsbil2gjgq.jpg

Scotland_Shirt2_zpsvbewrx3a.jpg

I need to check that with him though, to be sure.

And yes, of course it's for sale! :thumbup:

Ferguson had retired from internationals when Scotland wore this iirc. Certainly wasn't his youth shirt.

For all the negative stories about his attitude I can give 1 example of him being a good guy. A close relative was working as a home help for 1 of our tea ladies (I can't remember it was either Irene, Tiny or 1 of their daughters) before her death. while Barry was manager of Blackpool and him and Bob Malcolm were up visiting the lady every couple of days for a few weeks and she has nothing but good things to say about both of them. Prior to this she too thought of him as the ned some people judge him to be. She actually never knew who Bob Malcolm was.

Derek the more skillful but overall Barry the better player by a mile . Barry wouldn't look out of place in any Rangers team of the past

Derek kinda blew his career which in my opinion could have been as good, Barry was a fantastic talent you only have to look over old games to see he had everything. Time actually makes you forget how good he was.