Trevor Francis

Misteral

Living in Plymouth, I remembered last night that Trevor Francis came from here. He was Britains first £1M player when he signed for Forest under Brian Clough. On his debut in European football he scored the winner in the European Cup Final.

He signed for us under Souness from Atalanta in 1987 when he was 33 for a bargain £75K. Seems he didn't do that much. Started 8 times and came on as a sub 10 times and never scored, which I was disappointed to find out.

Anyone have any good memories of him during his time at Rangers?

Living in Plymouth, I remembered last night that Trevor Francis came from here. He was Britains first £1M player when he signed for Forest under Brian Clough. On his debut in European football he scored the winner in the European Cup Final.

He signed for us under Souness from Atalanta in 1987 when he was 33 for a bargain £75K. Seems he didn't do that much. Started 8 times and came on as a sub 10 times and never scored, which I was disappointed to find out.

He was absolutely world class on his debut at Ibrox against Dunfermline, as I recall.

He was full of flicks, tricks, classy lay-offs and brilliant through balls.

I thought we'd got someone with a lot left to give. The rest of his time was less impressive, but he was great for QPR and Sheff Wed as I recall.

didn't he score a penalty for us with no run up? just sidefooted into the net, then walked away

Looked very classy as I recall

Aye, nice penalty but no celebration. WTF? Anyway, goals scored in penalty shoot-outs don't officially count on a player's scoring record, as far as I'm aware.

Me and the mates at the time decided we would have a big night out when Trevor scored his 1st gers goal......we never got that night out.

I liked him as a player, you don't realise how good these guys are until you watch them in the flesh, another example was Steve Archibald, when I saw him on tv I didn't rate him, I then saw him at Ibrox with hivs and changed my opinion as his touch and movement that day was superb.

He was absolutely world class on his debut at Ibrox against Dunfermline, as I recall.

He was full of flicks, tricks, classy lay-offs and brilliant through balls.

I thought we'd got someone with a lot left to give. The rest of his time was less impressive, but he was great for QPR and Sheff Wed as I recall.

I remember that game - he was different class.

Also remember a mate (RIP) telling me that he was only signed so his mate Wilkins would come to Ibrox

The rise of the million pound player was a huge thing in its day. It happened before we started spending big, but we soon caught up.

It turned out that we had a fair chunk of Britain's first group of million pound players at some point in their career.

After Francis, we soon signed Gough for £1.1m from Spurs, after D Utd knocked back our £750,000 to accept Spurs' £670,000. Then we had Andy Gray and Ray Wilkins, both like Francis later in their careers.Wilkins followed Francis's example of going to QPR after us. He then played for Hibs, eight years after playing for us. I can only really think of Bryan Robson and the otherwise anonymous Steve Daley that never signed for us. Cyrille Regis didn't quite make it to a £1m player at £950,000.

He came during my first season as a ST holder. I was quite young, and tbh, although I remember some players quite well frrom that time, I don't really remember him very much.

Does that suggest he didn't do all that much for us, or do I just have a wee memory blind spot?