Davie Weir

BlueDevil

His passion for Rangers brought Mr Warburton to Ibrox and I can't thank him enough. I was never his greatest fan when sitting in CF1 watching him at centre half but, now I realise how much a class act he really is. Total pro coaching the team and also not being a arrogant prick like some other assistants. True Ranger.

I never rated Weir as highly as some others do. Cuellar and especially Bougherra did most of the leg work for him. Once Bougherra left Weir was well and truly shown up. However, I know a lot of our fans insist on a former player in charge and there's no getting past that. If having Weir as an assistant got Warburton to Rangers then I'm delighted.

Many say Weir needs to explain what's expected to Warburton but I don't buy that. Warburton's a very smart guy & doesn't need anyone pointing out the obvious what would Weir say? 'We have lots of fans and it's important to win football matches' - Warburton needs someone to tell him this? Nah.

Davie Weir was a rock for us. He was strolling through games at the age of 40. If only we had got him sooner.

Cuellar and Bougherra were class acts but much of that was down to Weir. Also helped turn Papac into a player, helped Alan Hutton improve and made Whittaker look good at times.

Legend and hero.

However, I know a lot of our fans insist on a former player in charge and there's no getting past that. If having Weir as an assistant got Warburton to Rangers then I'm delighted.

Many say Weir needs to explain what's expected to Warburton but I don't buy that. Warburton's a very smart guy & doesn't need anyone pointing out the obvious what would Weir say? 'We have lots of fans and it's important to win football matches' - Warburton needs someone to tell him this? Nah.

In Warburton's press conference today, when he was being quizzed about whether he had been in touch with McCoist for advice, he made a point of saying that it is good to get advice from outside the club, otherwise you just keep going round in circles with the same ideas being presented.

Warburton has his head screwed on and he is going to get his counsel from wherever is the most beneficial. He isn't going to listen to the same old people whose views are as archaic as Ally's tactics were.

Warburton is too clever to think that someone has insight just because they know "whit the club is aw aboot".

Gotta agree with a few on here in that i didnt rate him as highly as many people around me at the time as an individual player but 100% never doubted the role he played as a Captain and man himself and he never let us down.

What i do find funny though is that i dont believe for a minute though is that MW would have ever have played Davie Weir in his team. His passing and distribution was absolutely murder. His strength was reading the game, being strong, organising and defending well. He was never a playmaker.

Still love him though. :wub:

Davie Weir was a rock for us. He was strolling through games at the age of 40. If only we had got him sooner.

Cuellar and Bougherra were class acts but much of that was down to Weir. Also helped turn Papac into a player, helped Alan Hutton improve and made Whittaker look good at times.

Legend and hero.

Well said. People used to criticise him saying he was too slow but he more than made up for that in how he read the game. I thought he was superb at that. An intelligent footballer and was vital for us at the time.

Legend and hero.

Spot on. Class act on and off the pitch.

I have to disagree with anyone who doesn't rate Davie weir as a player, although bougherra and cuellar were great players, Davie weir playing alongside them made them better players. Weir was a tremendous centre half is a legendary rangers player in my eyes.

When Walter Smith brought him in to steady the ship he done a great job, he brought out the best in some of our players as mentioned above, a very good captain and good pro, he doesn't like the spot light either and keeps himself to himself while getting on with the job.I have lot of time for the man.

Talking about SDoW in this thread reminds me of another great defender, Franco Baresi when he played in the legends match at Ibrox. Didn't have the legs to run around but could still read the game perfectly. The pair of them personified the professional defender.