Willie Johnston To Snub Sfa

julescotia

This is what I hate the most, the fact that the nationalist and yes voters have hijacked the national team, theyve hijacked the whole country. Folk were surprised when I cheered Scotland during the rugby and wanted England pumped simply because I dislike the Scotland football team. I support Scotland in everything except football.

I also love Scotland but I hate how the nats have claimed the place as theyre own and think they own the country. If I hated Scotland then I would have voted yes because imo Scotland would have been fucked, but I voted no because I love Scotland, a vote against the SNP isnt a vote against the nation of Scotland but you'd never believe that was true the way they go on, turning Unionists into paraiahs in their own country.

Needs to be claimed back, then. This is why it's important to always fly the saltire next to the UJ. And why I plan to keep going to Scotland games regardless of what some diddy team supporting muppet might sing or say to me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about killing rebellious Scots, not all Scots (if you mean GSTQ). Although I get your point!

For England, I like Jerusalem. Beautiful song.

No, I meant England's own anthem. You never really hear it and I can't remember what the name of it is either.

Heard the words to it on QI the other night weirdly though.

I find it hard to get my head around the idea of despising someone like Scott Brown every day of the week then cheering him on just because he has a different shirt on. I felt that before but some Rangers players being in there helped a bit.

Although I realise that's a problem with most national teams.

Comes quite naturally to me. I don't really think about it, it just happens. It's probably because I've been trained to do it from the start. I mean, it was the same back in the day with Roy Aitken and countless others. It's always been that way.

Yeah, and as you say, it seems to be universal. There's massive hatred in Spain, England, Turkey, The Netherlands and they all manage it. I think it's probably got to do with regarding the personal national pride as more important to you individually than hatred for an individual or a group of individuals.

Ask yourself this honestly. If we had a UK national team, and (go with me on this :lol: ) Brown, Naismith and Mulgrew played for it, would it put you off? Wouldn't put me off. Nor would a shite British FA. Nor would a combination of the two. I'd get past it like I always have. Because it's a matter of priorities. Same goes with the Scotland team.

No, I meant England's own anthem. You never really hear it and I can't remember what the name of it is either.

Heard the words to it on QI the other night weirdly though.

They use Jerusalem sometimes and Land of Hope and Glory at others. Is it maybe LOHAG. I couldn't tell you the lyrics for that.

Comes quite naturally to me. I don't really think about it, it just happens. It's probably because I've been trained to do it from the start. I mean, it was the same back in the day with Roy Aitken and countless others. It's always been that way.

Yeah, and as you say, it seems to be universal. There's massive hatred in Spain, England, Turkey, The Netherlands and they all manage it. I think it's probably got to do with regarding the personal national pride as more important to you individually than hatred for an individual or a group of individuals.

Ask yourself this honestly. If we had a UK national team, and (go with me on this :lol: ) Brown, Naismith and Mulgrew played for it, would it put you off? Wouldn't put me off. Nor would a shite British FA. Nor would a combination of the two. I'd get past it like I always have. Because it's a matter of priorities. Same goes with the Scotland team.

Fair enough points and there's no doubt the political side makes it harder as well, as with many things it's been hijacked by nationalism. There's always been a separate Scottish team and it didn't seem to mean any contradiction with being in favour of the UK, now it seems that you'd barley be welcome in a Scotland crowd if you aren't a British hating Yes voter.

When we beat England 2-1 at Wembley in 1963 every palyer in the team was a blue nose - that was a real Scotland team!!! Brown, Hamilton, Caldow, McKay, Ure, Baxter, henderson, White, St.John, Law & Wilson.

Nice one Willie.

Like the joke about his half pints. Last month I was playing pool with him in the local for half pints. Unknown to me he's a pool shark so gubbed me everytime, he wouldn't take more than one off me though.

Can anyone jog my memory on the game that Willie actually turned up in that fur coat?

I can remember the pics in the paper as a kid. Away to an Iron Curtain team? CWP or Fairs Cities cup? It was cold winter I think.

No googling :D

He used to wear a long coat like Bud Flanagan, hence the nickname

He used to wear a long coat like Bud Flanagan, hence the nickname

Yes. Always known that one mate, I was trying to recall where and when he turned up with it first time. John Greig would remember ok.

IIRC, early in his career he sometimes got called Billly Johnstone. It may have come from old team photos or on the football cards. Maybe from his youth he was actually called Billy? Some of the seasoned fans may be able to add.

When we beat England 2-1 at Wembley in 1963 every palyer in the team was a blue nose - that was a real Scotland team!!! Brown, Hamilton, Caldow, McKay, Ure, Baxter, henderson, White, St.John, Law & Wilson.

What a team, imagine the value of that 11 today. Must have been one of John White's last games for Scotland as IIRC he died in 1964 aged only 27 or so. At today's prices he alone would be worth at least 20M.

Back to wee Bud, top bloke and Rangers legend.

I keep pushing this version of Highland Cathedral. It's still a bit dour, but it's kind of beautiful too. And it's a sort of Scottish tune with a wee British influence in the sound of it with the band that comes in. Even gets the hairs standing up for a non nationalistic type like me. In fact this exact one, although it sounds British, is by an international 'band', so it suits me to the ground.

Written by a couple of Germans, of course. But I like Germans too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieFS785QPk

Needs lyrics, mind.

In fact, fuck lyrics. The tune's enough.

Google the Edinburgh military tattoo one. Best version by far.

If it had words, without doubt it would get my vote, amazing tune. Especially the drums. No ideawhat the words could be consisted of though.

Google the Edinburgh military tattoo one. Best version by far.

If it had words, without doubt it would get my vote, amazing tune. Especially the drums. No ideawhat the words could be consisted of though.

I prefer the version with the brass band. I don't think you need words.